Tenants have Installed Dish Antenna Without Permission

Hi All,
I am a regular reader on this forum.
In our new IP, tenants have installed a dish antenna on roof without taking our permission. We came know about this when our agent went for first inspection. I am afraid they may have damaged the roof etc.
Any advice - what shall we do now?

Thanks,
MDV

In our new IP, tenants have installed a dish antenna on roof without taking our permission.
They should have asked - its just common courtesy.

We came know about this when our agent went for first inspection. I am afraid they may have damaged the roof etc.
Advice - you hired a PM to worry about all this - let him/her handle it. My suspicions are that it was not the tenants that did the installation but a Foxtel technician, in which case it should be fine.
Every time we let a property of ours without payTV, within a week of the tenants moving in, without fail, we get asked if they can install a dish. I don't have any problems with it. It makes them feel settled and they are less likely to move on. :)

As a long term renter, I'm guilty of installing TV antennas etc without asking permission. Many landlords and PM say know to any such request as a policy. After a while, you come to think it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
I make sure all my IP's have new, digital quality antennas installed so I keep control over the quality of the job and the location of the antenna.
True, they should have asked, but don't be too hard on them for assuming they would get a "no" in reply.

Can i also be naive and say that when i had foxtel cable installed in my rented apartment. I had no idea that I needed to ask for permission.

With the antenna, does this mean that the IP is now foxtel ready and more 'attractive' to renters in the future?

Hi All,
I am a regular reader on this forum.
In our new IP, tenants have installed a dish antenna on roof without taking our permission. We came know about this when our agent went for first inspection. I am afraid they may have damaged the roof etc.

Thanks,
MDV

How do you know they damaged the roof? Did the PM get on the roof?:eek:
What is the roof material?

Can i also be naive and say that when i had foxtel cable installed in my rented apartment. I had no idea that I needed to ask for permission.

With the antenna, does this mean that the IP is now foxtel ready and more 'attractive' to renters in the future?

Well aside form the Foxtel outlet on the wall, there probably isn't any real issue, especially with an apartment because the building would have been back-boned and generally at least in the living room, there is probably only really one or two (max) places it could be positioned.

Does it make it more attractive? To me it would, because I am a Foxtel addict. It all depends on future renters' tastes.

For a house, that might be a bit more problematic, especially with cabling from the street to the rooms where Foxtel will be viewed and the position and fixturing of the satellite dish on the roof for satellite connections. Surely out of courtesy you would ask the owner.

First of all you don't state what type of dish it is, if its a Foxtel dish then as the other have said - let it pass it will make it more attractive to the next tenant - sure they should have asked but really its no big deal.

However if is a larger dish that you see on properties in Bankstown etc, where the tenant is trying to pick up tv from the homeland then i would be concerned - those things are huge

let's make it interesting.
What if the tenants sign up to 24months foxtel contract (with free installation off-course) and then move out post their 12month lease. Who's responsible for the remainder contract with Foxtel?
Does foxtel/cable company chase the owners of the house with the satelite service? or the tenants who signed up for it?

^^ In that situation they have to pay for a cancellation fee or a 'moving' fee to foxtel if they want to continue their foxtel subscription in their new residence.

But there will still be an unpaid-for satellite dish connected to the property's roof. What happens to that? If Foxtel come and reposses the dish, what happens to the hole in the roof that will be left?
Just playing devil's advocate here:)
BTW, I have never had a Foxtel dish on my roof, so am not really aware of how it all works...

Boods

Last edited:
But there will still be an unpaid-for satellite dish connected to the property's roof. What happens to that?
It stays there. The money is in the labour to install - not the dish.

If Foxtel come and reposses the dish, what happens to the hole in the roof that will be left?
There's no hole :rolleyes:

BTW, I have never had a Foxtel dish on my roof, so am not really aware of how it all works...Boods
Yep, that's becoming obvious :p

But there will still be an unpaid-for satellite dish connected to the property's roof. What happens to that? If Foxtel come and reposses the dish, what happens to the hole in the roof that will be left?
Just playing devil's advocate here:)
BTW, I have never had a Foxtel dish on my roof, so am not really aware of how it all works...

Boods

It really is no big deal

The dish is not unpaid for - Installation costs are billed in the first month. Most of the time there are free installation specials on. So all that's left are the monthly rental fee.

Mthly bill is sent to the person who opened the account &- just like phone bill / electricity or gas etc.

The antenna stays if service is cancelled. Tenant gets charged a cancellation fee if they cacnel earlier than their contract. New tenant applies in their own name & starts new contract of their own. Owner of property not involved

Hi Everyone,
Thanks a lot for your advice.
We are relieved if the antenna stays there. But I its not Foxtel, it is some other antenna where they get overseas TV channels (other languages). We will find out what they are going to do as they are moving out in March.

Thanks,
MDV

Back