Tenants paying separately

We have just settled on a new property that has 3 existing tenants sharing the house.

I have just had a call from 1 of the tenants advising that the other 2 have paid their rent today (the due day) but that she is not getting paid until tomorrow and could she pay then.

There are definitely 2 issues I have problems with, the first being that they are paying separately and the second being the fact that they know what day they get paid and should have cleared funds available to pay rent on that day.

Before taking them to task on this, I would like any opinions that the forum would like to offer.

Glenn

One day late? I have one tenant whi is a month behind, another who is further behind. (It's in hand).

I did have a tenant who had a problem with rents falling due just before payday- I just changed the payment schedule to suit the payday. I haven't had a problem since.

Glenn,

whose name is on the lease?

If there is only one person on the lease then only one of them is responsible and it's their problem to get the rent from the other 2. Equally, if all three are on the lease then all 3 are responsible, but collectively, not individually.

I would suggest to you that you make them aware NOW that it is unacceptable to you to take payments individually.

The weekly rent is a whole rent for a whole house, not a rent per person for the use of a bedroom within the house....what happens if one doesn't pay? Are the other 2 going to turn around and say, "well, I've been paying my rent". You can't kick only one of them out if all three are on the lease.

Jump on it straight away....i have never ever collected individual rents....if i've ever had more than one person on the lease I've made it quite clear to them that I don't care if they kill themselves over rent issues, as long as the rent gets paid in full and on time. Any arrangements they have between themselves are just that, between themselves and nothing to do with me.

Oh, and one day late is nothing - don't worry about it. At least they had the courtesy to call and let you know. When they're more than 3 days behind, jump on them quick smart.

Back