Tenants trying to claim ownership

Recent item in the local newspaper,told of some tenants who have put a caveat on the property they rent,saying they have an interest in the property that the owner is wanting to sell.
After several hearings at VCAT they are now headed for the Supreme court.
This story is being shown on Ch 7 Today Tonight program on tuesday night 18/1/11.
Should be interesting to watch and learn from.
This property is in the district where I grew up,so I have an interest in the story as well as from the LL side.

Judy

So if I borrow someonbody's old car and it gets a flat tyre....... I take it to bayview's shop & get it fixed or replaced.... I now somehow own the car ?

Or perhaps it only applies if I decided to upgrade the tyres on the car for my firend cause I wanted to.. How do peopel think of usch things ?

Anyone gotta Porsche they wanna lend me ? :rolleyes::D

So if I borrow someonbody's old car and it gets a flat tyre....... I take it to bayview's shop & get it fixed or replaced.... I now somehow own the car ?

Or perhaps it only applies if I decided to upgrade the tyres on the car for my firend cause I wanted to.. How do peopel think of usch things ?

Anyone gotta Porsche they wanna lend me ? :rolleyes::D

I'm guessing after 13 years living in the place the tenants are annoyed the owner is selling, so they put in a low ball offer to buy it, owner rejects so they slap a caveat on claiming an interest in the property. Seems very wrong and hopefully will get thrown out but seems it has gone quite far as it is

I'm guessing after 13 years living in the place the tenants are annoyed the owner is selling, so they put in a low ball offer to buy it, owner rejects so they slap a caveat on claiming an interest in the property. Seems very wrong and hopefully will get thrown out but seems it has gone quite far as it is

So I guess that's a no on the Porsche then .....

Why do people complicate things in the first place

Just watched the program further details are property was valued at $250K Landlord offered to sell it to the tenants for $220K they offered to buy it for $80K as they believe they have done $140K of unpaid labour for reno's of which he paid for materials.

They have only had one rental increase in 13 years from $70p/w to $80p/w week even after 3 bedrooms were added.

Landlord also offered them $10K to leave and remove caveat as it will supposedly cost him $50K to fight in Supreme Court

Really only heard Landlord's side of the story obviously biased emphasised version

Morals to the story.

1. Ensure that you document everything.

2. Always have your tenant on lease.

3. Renting out a property should be a business transaction not an emotional one.

How would a caveat be allowed in the first place?

It will give a lot of other tenants ideas to do the same..especially if they think it will anger the LL

How would a caveat be allowed in the first place?

It will give a lot of other tenants ideas to do the same..especially if they think it will anger the LL

The request was uncontested as it was addressed to the owner using the actual address of the property and not his residential address.

At the end of the day, the tenants have free legal aid and are trying it on.

They get to stay on rent free whilst it is in the courts.

Back