Tenants Union wants governments to end negative gearing

Originally posted by dtraeger2k
Might sound like a dumb question, but what exactly did they mean by rent control?

I assume something like not letting Landlords increase Rent, without getting the OK from a Government dept.

From what I recall in the UK when it happened for a while, where a normal "uncontrolled" rent may have been 40.00, a controlled rent property of identical situation could have been as low as 10.00. This is testing my memory! I will try and look back on this, and correct myself if I am wrong.

Kierank
Hi

Yes have been a member of POA but a quick shuffle through my records shows my membership is not current. Will fix that My accounting and diary records are in disarray after re-installing Windows several times (will now back-up to a second computer).

POA has helped me through some awkward patches in the past - in cases where I had PMs and in others where I was managing.

Everybody starts property investing thinking it is about property but it is really about dealing with people and people management problems. Nothing is 'hands-off'.

POA has linked me with supportive people. Like this forum but local to me and in the flesh.

IMHO it is more cheap, claimable insurance.

Anyhow, everyone else has a union, even if they cloak them as associations. Look at the AMA!

IMHO Rent control of the sort described by ABC D is highly unlikely in Australia - at least with private dwellings.

A more likely scenario is an extention of No. 2 (below) - mind you, this could well be counterproductive (an increase in demand [through increased subsidies] will, ceteris paribus, only lead to increases in prices).

In case you had overlooked it, there already exists at least 2 forms of Government involvement in the rental housing market:

1. The public housing system.

2. Rental assitance for low income earners and certain social security payments recipients.

MB

Last edited:
I am sure you will be right MB, I cant really see anything like that happening again, anywhere.

It would be interesting to know what sort of rent control the Tenants Union actually had in mind when it was mentioned.

I'd also like to see where those rents are going through the roof, that they referred to. My tenants would walk away if I did that.

That makes me think.... If the Tenants union encouraged more Landlords, there would be more properties to let, and lower rents due to oversupply. " The Perfect Rent Control" for them !!
:)

There has been some sort of rent control in Aus a while back.

When I was renting a unit back in the 70's for $20 a week some of the tenants in the building were only paying $11 per week due to some sort of rent control. Don't know the details as wasn't into property back then (although I should have been)

Cheers

Rent Control

You don't have to go o'seas for examples:

excerpt from

SENATE REPORT ON HOUSING ASSISTANCE
DECEMBER 1997
Commonwealth of Australia 1997
ISBN 0 642 25156 8

Rent Control
4.41 The issue of `fair rents' and rent control was raised in evidence. [39] Rent control has been a policy used at various times in a number of countries (including Australia). It springs from the best of motives which is to keep rents down in order to make rental housing more affordable for low income renters. However, all the available evidence shows that rent control has a major impact on supply and the resulting shortages force rent prices up. Critics of rent control point to studies that show that rental prices tend to be evenly distributed above and below a median in areas without rent control while in areas under rent control, the prices cluster well above the median. [40]

4.42 The Canberra study of the effect of rent control found that the effect of rent control on the market became apparent within a fairly short time. It also led one expert to remark:
It is also obvious that the controls have not been effective in helping the low income earner and do in fact provide more benefit to the higher income earners. [41]

4.43 The reason behind the correlation between rent control and high prices is that rent control has an adverse effect on supply. Together with other regulations such as restrictions on evictions, rent control discourages investment by the private investor. [42] This in turn results in accommodation shortages. Although rent control has been in place in Great Britain for many years, that country is now moving away from rent control policies. [43]

4.44 Some critics therefore perceive rent control as a mechanism that helps to keep rental prices down for middle and high income earners and adds to problems of affordability for low income earners. This situation can be made considerably worse if, as is often the case, rent control is confined to a particular region or area. Rent control was introduced in Canberra in 1973 and by 1978, a critic commented:
In a very real sense, it can be said that part of the costs of rent control in Canberra were borne by those least able to cope the poor tenants of Queanbeyan. [44]

Rent Control

Of course the Tenants Union may not be aware of this source or maybe like all lobbyists, and some politicians for that matter, never let facts get in the road of their argument.

The debate on negative gearing is another example where past experience is forgatten in the effort to get cheap headlines.

Duty of Care is another problem area - only recently has the tide slowly changed and some recognition is being given to individual autonomy and responsibility. Thank goodness the courts are showing the way and common sense is not lost although it may be unfashionable in some quarters.

It is ridiculous, as some forumites have found, that tenants have not always been required to exercise reasonable care for their own safety.

Take time to read Section 103 (2)&(3) of Qld's Residential Tenancies Act 1994 which places a non-delegable duty of care on the owner to meet the 'disability needs' of the the tenant. Not meeting known disability needs may lead to the owner being liable for a resulting injury.

I am not a lawyer and opinions expressed are my own views etc etc

I have a friend who was renting a two bed apartment near the Sydney CBD for $20 per week for years in the 90's due to a trailing rental control.

Great deal for him - horrendous for the landlord.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Abolition of negative gearing not the way

http://afr.com/articles/2003/10/09/1065676088483.html

"Negative gearing is an easy target for people taking a swipe at inflated house prices but will its removal help our housing problems or cause even more trouble?

According to new financial modelling by accountant Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu, removing the tax benefit from property investments will push up rents by as much as 80 per cent, putting a greater burden on public housing and making it harder to save that first home deposit for those still in the private rental market."

Back