Tenants want AC - what would u do?

New IP

GZM

We installed airconditioning in a new 4 x 2 IP House in the main bedroom and lounge/dining/kitchen area and charged accordingly. Plus we put fans in every bedroom.

Our son is a tenant in a 3 x 1 house they asked their landlord if they could install airconditioning in the lounge room of the rental property. He agreed and they are prepared to leave unit when they vacate.

My thoughts are....

a) Since your tenants have signed a new lease and you cannot raise the rent suggest to tenants via a letter from your Property Manager that they the tenants can install their own airconditioning unit which will remain a fixture in the house when they vacate and you would not charge any additional rent OR the tenants can buy an aircooler and fans.

Example...from PM

Dear Bob and Jan

I passed on your request to the owner, they obtained 3 quotes for airconditioning ranging from $3,400 - $10,900.

Realistically looking at $10,900 divided by 10 years average depreciation and need to replace units, the owners would need to charge you an additonal $1090 per year in rent PLUS a service fee of $100 for annual servicing of airconditioning unit.

A cheaper alternative would be that you purchase
i) an aircooler and
ii) fans

Bottom line the request for airconditioners should have been discussed before new lease was signed.

kind regards

Joe Blow

Property manager

Sheryn

Back