Tenants want me to pay Power Bill

The tenants reported last month to my agent that they had a $900 power bill and it is usally $300 and hence they thought there was a problem. We got maintenance out there that said the hot water system was continually boiling and they thought there must be a water leak.

Plumber found leak and that was that. They have now demanded that I pay the difference in the bill in 3 days when bill due. I was willing to make a contribution but the lot!

My bill is usually $300 and over winter my bill came back at $550, although they are providing last 3 bills they were not there last Winter. So how can I apply an increase to their past bill to reflect extra energy use in winter. My thoughts are Energy Australia (Syd) may have stats on winter increases we apply that and then look at the difference. As the leak and constant hot water running started in April and they reported it in September - should I be paying all the difference?

Anyone know someone at energy Aust or the like - the only phone numbers they publish is for accounts so I have no idea how to get their stats.

Am I being too harsh?

Jane

Hi

Ask them to take it up with the power company to ak for a discount. I know the water authroity does this if there is a burst pipe. It's not your responsibility in my opinion.

Don

I would... tell them you have had a gutful of being taken for a schmuck and catering to their every whim and inability to feed, cloth and house themselves and as such have appointed an agent to liquidate the place immediately. In future they can drivel in some other poor persons ear.

As the leak and constant hot water running started in April and they reported it in September - should I be paying all the difference?

Is there any way they could have spotted this prior to the high bill?

Pretty unfortunate situation all round really. Doesn't appear to be anyone's fault. Try and get the stats for the property for last winter and pay HALF the difference between that and the bill amount, at least that is what I would be suggesting. Why should you take 100% of the hit?

Depends, if there was no way for them to know there was a leak and they were good tenants, i would give them a weeks free rent.

If they reported the problem as soon as they became aware of it, then the excess electricity consumption is your responsibility.

I would ask for electricity bills for the last 4 quarters (provided they were tenants for that long) and pay approx 80% of the difference between this bill and the comparable one for the same quarter last year (prices have gone up). If not there last winter then average the bills since they moved in.

If this goes to the tribunal you will lose for sure, as this problem was NOT the tenant's fault, and until the high bill came in they had no way of knowing there was a problem. Sounds as if they have done everything right.
Marg

I would... tell them you have had a gutful of being taken for a schmuck and catering to their every whim and inability to feed, cloth and house themselves and as such have appointed an agent to liquidate the place immediately. In future they can drivel in some other poor persons ear.

You sure have had a couple of bad weeks AUSPROP.
Your fangs are showing:eek:

Buzz
I would say you are about to cop a hefty water bill as well.
Here in the west, if you have a leak:eek: plumbing leak and it is attended by the plumber and he questimates the amount of water you have lost then the Water Authority accepts this written form and adjusts your account back accordingly.
I think it would be worth asking the power company if they have a similar system. Its worth a phone call.
Regardless ring your water authority and get the forms set to you for a claim you may also need a special reading to do a comparison to "this time last year" reading.
I would think though if the leak was not obvious to the tenant then you are going to have to pay the excess power.
Good luck with it.
cheers yadreamin

Thanks everyone I appreciate your input. Having just had another tenant send through a 2 page review on cash rates vs inflation and our request for a increase of rent - mind you still $50 a week below what we can get on the market I was feeling a little used and abused as a landlord.

I will ring power and water people to see what we can do - they should have the last 3 bills sinced they moved in to me this week so I will keep you posted. I recognise there is some responsibility on both parts an am willing to contribute it was just the demanding nature of it that truly pissed me.

Jane

PS Did not fold on the 2 page analysis - hubby supplied a reply comparing rental increases over 3 years for the area and a 'discussion' on how cash rates and actual interest rates are not the same thing. the tenant decided to stay.

Thanks everyone I appreciate your input. Having just had another tenant send through a 2 page review on cash rates vs inflation and our request for a increase of rent - mind you still $50 a week below what we can get on the market I was feeling a little used and abused as a landlord.

I will ring power and water people to see what we can do - they should have the last 3 bills sinced they moved in to me this week so I will keep you posted. I recognise there is some responsibility on both parts an am willing to contribute it was just the demanding nature of it that truly pissed me.

Jane

PS Did not fold on the 2 page analysis - hubby supplied a reply comparing rental increases over 3 years for the area and a 'discussion' on how cash rates and actual interest rates are not the same thing. the tenant decided to stay.

well if the tenant could save money by printing some article shown to him by his mate off google then its worth a try :)

best of luck jane.

PS. are u self managing?

Back