Solar for increasing cashflow and attracting tenant?

How long did it take you to find a tenant and what was the vacancy rate in the area?

I think it was empty for 3-4 weeks. But we listed like a few days before Xmas so I really think it was about timing. I can't imagine anyone looking for housing during the holidays.

Vacancy rate in the area...not sure sorry.

Wombat777,

Kudos for thinking out of the box.......

There is a way it can be done, you just need to be able to quantify it..........in terms that a tenant would understand.

ciao

Nor

I hate to be a annoyance, but I think with solar panels new technology is coming out now, hence why panels are so cheap, we now have "solar tiles"now through monier roofing, and I think the technology is getting better everyday, I read "renew" magazine. I recommend that mag to anyone that's looking to go off grid or for other renewable energy options

Wombat777,

Kudos for thinking out of the box.......

There is a way it can be done, you just need to be able to quantify it..........in terms that a tenant would understand.

ciao

Nor

Perhaps photos of the solar system or solar hot water system, with a caption "save $$$ on your power bill".

NB - I need to see what other repair costs are before I install solar of any form but it is a possibility. The current hot water system appears to be over 20 years old so a solar electric-boosted hot water system would be the more likely of the two.

I hate to be a annoyance, but I think with solar panels new technology is coming out now, hence why panels are so cheap, we now have "solar tiles"now through monier roofing, and I think the technology is getting better everyday, I read "renew" magazine. I recommend that mag to anyone that's looking to go off grid or for other renewable energy options

Thanks for the tip. The new tesla batteries look interesting. I might wait until these have been on market for a least 6 months in Australia, to allow for a range of solar installers to start offering them as part of a solar package and pricing to come down.

The new tesla batteries look interesting. I might wait until these have been on market for a least 6 months in Australia, to allow for a range of solar installers to start offering them as part of a solar package and pricing to come down.

Yep, they sure do look interesting.....:)

Couple of key points that will need to be considered.

1) The Aus pricing point.
2) The non availability or withdrawal of FIT (grid export) for battery backed installations.
3) How existing anti-islanding under AS 5033/4777 or network requirements will be dealt with.
4) Retro fitting into existing installations.

But overall, I believe that this is a "good thing", even if only serves to up the ante to the industry in general.

Ciao

Nor

I am wondering if adding Solar Hot Water or a Solar Power System is a good way to increase cashflow or to help attract / retain tenants?

Theory is that I could charge an extra $25 - 50 per week rent for a tenant to achieve a significant saving on their power bill.

My grid electricity heated water is less than $50 pq. At a guess a small solar panel system with current feed ins would generate $150 pq. No tenant is going to pay an extra $1300-2600 pa rent to 'save' $800 pa.

You might score a pot smoking, tree hugging, vegan hippie who will consider the planet more than most - but I doubt it.

The domestic electricity future is solar battery packs. Hang on a bit if you're thinking of going solar. In the near future we'll be able to buy domestic solar battery packs that lets you store the power generated in the daylight.
It's predicted that the power company system will be in a death spiral in a few years and those who are still connected to the grid will be paying through the teeth. Hence it will be cheaper to go solar than stay on the grid.
There's also huge advances being made in the collection side of it, solar tiles, solar paint etc. I think the big panel system will be a dinosaur pretty soon.

Anyone wanna by some ex electricity poles?

The domestic electricity future is solar battery packs. Hang on a bit if you're thinking of going solar. In the near future we'll be able to buy domestic solar battery packs that lets you store the power generated in the daylight.
It's predicted that the power company system will be in a death spiral in a few years and those who are still connected to the grid will be paying through the teeth. Hence it will be cheaper to go solar than stay on the grid.
There's also huge advances being made in the collection side of it, solar tiles, solar paint etc. I think the big panel system will be a dinosaur pretty soon.

Anyone wanna by some ex electricity poles?

Careful with that belief based on present tech. Supply v's demand can be affected by new technology sure but equilibrium pricing may swing the cost of dirty power to a lower level. After all without a grid homes need alternative power. Batteries arent a full solution as they hold limited charge. Two days of cloud and rain would see the home powerless or diminished power which could damage appliances. So shutdown would occur. Some homes and areas are poor solar - So grid use remains.Homeowners happy to pay for power and at a higher price v's darkness, cold food and showers?? Gas $ goes up as appliances go gas ?
Then there are companies building cars that charge on the grid...Eh..tesla is one. You cant have it both ways tesla !

Storage and systems will change. Technology hasn't been reinvented yet. Its like the irish solar torch still.

Back