Tender documentation for renno/additions project?

Hi all,

We've spent the last few months working with an architectural draftie on a set of drawings for a ~$150K rennovation/addition project at the rear of our home in Perth... planning approval is through, detailed drawings are ready for tender.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of some typical/ example documentation to accompany the drawings to be sent out to tender? Not so much worried about technical specifications but i'm a bit vague on the commercial things we should be including.

Happy to draft these ourselves (we will be managing the tender process), but would be really helpful if we had something to use as a guide.

Cheers

Sam

Here in NSW the Master Builders Association and the HIA produce stock contracts such as Works on a Cost Plus Basis and Building Contract for Renovations & Additions (HIA), and Head Contract Residential Small Renovations & Additions (MBA) are 3 I have to hand. They also produce others such as when the architect is project manager etc.
Unsurprisingly they do favour the contractor but you can delete and add clauses to suit your own circumstances or you can even draft your own contract from scratch (you may never get a contractor to sign it of course!). In NSW, by law the contract must contain certain information and clauses.
Check out your local building professional organisations, they should produce the same type of thing based on WA law.

Andy

I dare say the biggest one would be is the specification. IE what materials you want used, standard of finish etc etc.

I don't like just getting a set of plans and asked price this thanks unless I know what you want in the project as far as I'm concered I'm just wasting my time.

So make a detailed specification to cover as much as you can. Tapware, glazing, floor finishings, brickwork, solid plastering, internal sheeting and finish, tiles, plaster cornice (square set maybe?) etc etc. the list goes on. Put this with the plans and you will get a more accurate price and easier to compare with other quotes as everyone is pricing the same.

You can get a book from Master Builders or HIA which covers specifications about $30.00.

Brian

Thanks both for your input - the drawings are pretty tight regarding specification already (e.g finishes, detailing, hardware etc)... its actually for a garage/workshop + verandah and landscaping so there's no wet areas/ plumbing and little electrical, plus we have a specification 'drawing' which deals with quality of workmanship, standards, etc.

So really just wondering what other documentation I need.

I'll try the WA building organisation route and see if that helps

Cheers, Sam

Thanks both for your input - the drawings are pretty tight regarding specification already (e.g finishes, detailing, hardware etc)... its actually for a garage/workshop + verandah and landscaping so there's no wet areas/ plumbing and little electrical, plus we have a specification 'drawing' which deals with quality of workmanship, standards, etc.

So really just wondering what other documentation I need.

I'll try the WA building organisation route and see if that helps

Cheers, Sam

$150k for a garage+verandah+landscaping??

$150k for a garage, must be a nice garage. Some documents that come to mind are:

- structural drawings
- interior specifications
- electrical plan
- civil plans if required

The MBA/HIA specifications will detail that the items (bricks/tiles/taps etc) will conform to the relevant building codes and is still relevant. However that leaves the choice of a confirming items at the discretion of the builder and each builder tendering may allow for a different items meaning you could be comparing apples with oranges.

You really need to create an addenda of your selections probably an excel spreadsheet will do, so for example

Bricks: Supplier:Boral Midland
Type:Heritage Red
Mortar Colour: Cream
Joint:Rolled

Garage Door: B&D Panelift Seville in Timbergrain Classic Cedar

Yes, it could be a long list, but removes the element of doubt that everything will be the same in each quote. Secondly if the builder only uses Austral Bricks, he should state that he will be using austral's alternative.

Yes those are valid points, thanks - my drawings are specific but not to the point of naming preferred suppliers. I'll investigate.

Sam

Spec, then drawings

Drawings are good, and tell you where to put things, but in order of tender documents priority, they are number 2.

Number 1 is the specification.
This should layout every item that you want a price on, also how you expect it to be finished and what Australian standards they apply to.

This is the key definition document and the tighter that document, the less room the builder has to create variations.

Back