Tennants can't leave when lease ends. What do I do?

I have just been informed by my property manager that the tennants in my IP will not be able to move out on the 5th of March when their lease is up because they can't find another place to stay.

They were informed in December last year that I would not be renewing their lease.

The lease was originally till the 5th of February and I gave them an extra month as they needed more time.

The property manager has told me that she would not give them a reference because even though the rent is paid on time, the house is always very messy.

When I purchased this property in October last year, the owner and property manager told me that everytime they tried to raise the rent, the tennants would call up with a sob story, so the owner would not bother. It didn't really bother him though as he didn't really maintain the property to a good standard.

This didn't seem to bother me until I informed the tennants that the lease would not be renewed. I received a call from them about how they would find it hard to find a place and that his partner was pregnant and due in early February. That is why I gave them an extra month.

The property manager has said that even if it goes to court, it would take about 2 weeks to get the tennants out.

The annoying thing is I have been organising days off from work to start renovations and organise new fencing etc..

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

p.s. The reason why I wanted them out was because they are paying $175/wk but I know with just a quick paint and a tidy up of the yard it could easily get $200-$220/wk.

I guess i could raise the rent to $200/wk and see if they will pay it but I doubt it.

George

Tell them they can stay at an increased rent? I am assuming their messiness doesn't actually cause damage to the property.

Can't....or won't ??

I suspect they know that don't have to....and know full well you can't do ring-all about it, other than write little letters backwards and forwards.

I suspect they'll move out when they are good and ready....and not a moment before.

I'm assuming since they are still in there now, they revert to a periodic lease. So at least they will/should be paying you for the extra time they're in there. I guess since their lease has expired, then get the PM to initiate eviction proceedings? If they fail to leave then they would have to explain it at tribunal etc.

Otherwise keep them on, but inform the rent will be rising to market whether they can afford it or not, and if they can't - get out!

As a matter of interest, where is the IP?

Just wait until the date they are supposed to be out & then start eviction proceedings. Not a lot else you can do.

The lease was originally till the 5th of February and I gave them an extra month as they needed more time.

Just wait until the date they are supposed to be out & then start eviction proceedings. Not a lot else you can do.

I assume that agreed to them staying an extra month because it also suited your schedule.

Lesson learnt, in future give notice and when they don't move out start eviction proceedings.

You may have to wait a couple of extra weeks for them to vacate, or even have the property vacant if they do move out on time but it is better than being six weeks behind schedule.

Regards

Andrew

What we need is some sort of organisation or company where you can hire a few nice boys for an afternoon to go around and have a quiet chat with the tenants and help them to see how moving out right now would be good for their health.

The nice boys will help them move their stuff out too of course, and provide a truck.

The company could be called; "Evictions are Us". ;)

If I really needed to get them out it could be done. It's just very hard to believe they have been looking for another place when their property manager hasn't been contacted to give any references.

If I really needed to get them out it could be done. It's just very hard to believe they have been looking for another place when their property manager hasn't been contacted to give any references.

SO, it doesn't look like you have read all the posts.
It also seems you don't care about these of your property since you took it over in October.
You also are thinking of continuing to let them rent at $200............not smart .
It sounds like you are a nice person, but you need to make hard business decisions not be a charity

It sounds like you are a nice person, but you need to make hard business decisions not be a charity

One of the problems is that many new investors are nice people & get screwed around by experienced not-so-nice tenants. I believe that to be successful, you really do have to harden up, because if you don't, many will take you for a ride.

I don't think I'm being too soft. It's just that i was planning on them being out on the 5th so I could do a 2 week reno and have it done by the middlish of March.

Now even if I evict them it will take 2 weeks which will eat up the reno time and I'm busy till April as I've got other things to do.

It would be more convenient to have them there another month even though I would prefer they leave.

Hi George,

Sorry, no real option but to go to tribunal and do your best.

I'd be seeing if I could cancel my leave and take it at short notice. If not you may have to just work very hard over a couple of weekends once the property is vacant.

I assume the girl is not pregnant. :rolleyes:

Regards

Andrew

why don't you just give them a notice of rent increase now to the rate you were planning to, and then if they happy to pay new rent on the old property, just let them stay there? Or just give them a reference they need, so they can move out.

Back