Termite treatment Brisbane

Hi

We have just done our first annual pest inspection after we bought our first IP in April last year in Thornlands, Queensland. The pest inspection at time of purchase indicated everything was fine and there was no immediate termite danger. No treatment was recommended.

We now had an inspection done by the pest control guy recommended by our property manager, and his report reads totally different. According to him a pest treatment (costing $3,400) is absolutely essential. I wonder if it is because he has a vested interest in generating business for himself? Nothing on the property has changed, no termite activity was found.

My question is, do most investors have this treatment done? Is it a fair price for a barrier treatment all around the house? Is it better to have 6-monthly inspections instead of doing the treatment? Can people recommend anyone on Brisbane’s south side?

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks, Nougati

Hi there. I have sent you a PM with the contact details of the pest man we have been using for about 30 years. Lovely chap, will not rip you off, and knows his stuff.

Give him a call and he will tell you straight what needs to be done, or does NOT need to be done. Not sure how far he will travel, but give him a call to see.

Nougati

Sounds a bit expensive to me for barrier treatment around the house. What sort of house is it - timber? brick?? We paid about $2100 for a brick veneer on slab. The treatment comes with a 5-year guarantee, but needs to be inspected annually ($150 for inspection and another $100 for 12 months insurance - cover is up to $100,000).

If Wylie's pest man doesn't travel to Thornlands, send me a PM and I'll forward you the contact details of ours (lives near Thornlands).

Cheers
LynnH

Hi there,

I have an IP in Brisbane as well and I do have question for you guys. When I purchased it last August, the pest inspection report suggested that the property needs pest inspection every three months, although termites have not been found on that report.

My IP is 36 years old, brick veneer, tiled roof, timber floors with carpet on living room. I just permitted my tenants to have a pet dog.

It has been 6 months since I purchased the property. Do you guys think I should do the inspection? What are the risks of not doing one? I really have no experience with termite damages etc.

Muli

An inspection every three months suggests to me that the pest company is a tad greedy for your business - particularly if there were no termites found in the initial inspection!

I have both BV and timber houses, and have them all inspected annually for termites.

Cheers
LynnH

Back