Termites in my IP!

my property is on a slab, can termites come up through the slab?

yes

I live in a 5 yr old project home on a slab and as we moved in they found termites and had to pull 2 walls out and rebuild :eek: would hate to be the owner in that case unless he is covered by builders warrantee.

... the problem is builders often brick down the outside edge of the slab, so you cant see termites if they wanna go up between the slab and the bricks. If I ever build on a slab I will be insisting on 6-8 clear inches of visible slab around the edge with bricks from there, no bricks down into the dirt!!!

My dual occupancy has been riddled with termites on and off for the last 7 years. I have had two different pest control guys in that time. One sprayed to initially contain them, or so we thought. $1400 in 2001
The other guy used a hormonal bait, to great success. (At $250 x 6, you would want a great result) But as he explained. get rid of one species, and another may come along and find the tunnels and away you go again. In fact only two weeks ago, I ripped out part of the kitchen wall, because I could hear them tapping away. A stethoscope is handy for those hard of hearing, to suss them out.
I did some research, and I am about to try using False Sandalwood, in the areas of infestation. I managed to track some stock down in Windsor NSW
Check this out: Plant Extract Stops Termites Dead.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2005/11/15/1507502.htm

It only affects the flat downstairs. Upstairs is separated by 4 x 20 inch I beams, and no activity there at all. Fortunately, downstairs is not structural.
In about 5 years, I will gut the flat, and put steel frames in. Unless of course, the little buggers evolve and become steel munchers!!!

I made an offer on a property earlier this week. We were being pushed to sign the contract by the agent (as they do) but I insisted we get a pest report first. Turns out the place had a massive infestation a few years back, the termites are all gone now, but they damaged the house so badly, the builder says it should be bulldozed. So instead of the owner getting our signatures on the contract today, she is getting a call to be told that her IP is severely damaged and that the tenants need to get out as the roof may fall in. We were then asked by the agent if we would buy the property at land value...

. when i ask both the building and inspection inspectors about the condition of the house, they just brushed me off and said; "read my reports". i called them when i couldnt make the heads/tails out of their findings, they keep saying; "did you read my reports?". very frustrating.

That is WRONG. You paid them good money and they owe you at least a brief summary in person! I had building and pest done yesterday, I spent 40 minutes in person with the building inspector as he explained his findings, and I had a 10 minute phone conversation with the pest inspector as well.

look like i have to sink in some serious money to rectify the damages.
That's tough, so sorry for your bad luck and bad advice.
................................................................................................

beachgurl
So instead of the owner getting our signatures on the contract today, she is getting a call to be told that her IP is severely damaged and that the tenants need to get out as the roof may fall in
WOW !!

We were being pushed to sign the contract by the agent (as they do) but I insisted we get a pest report first

Good for you. Never be pushed into anything. There is always another bargain.

Back