Terrorist attack

It's been reported as Australia losing it's innocence, however there have been other attacks going back over the years and even terror plots foiled

Meanwhile

Pakistan school attack: At least 141 people killed, including 132 children, in Taliban siege in Peshawar

Listening to a well known journo today. Very informed on underworld etc and been around for long time, writted cpl of books , so what he says i would think he knows what he is talking about...

his words were..the NSW police had a set of snipers in the area..they are well known to be able to put a bullet in yr head from 1klm away.

they didnt use them for the reason is , they did not know how many ppl were on there...they belived one, but there might have been a silent one...they did not know what was in his back pack and the calls he made indicated that there were 4 packages located around sydney which were bombs..he said they cldnt take the chance, and there objective was to wear him down..when the gun went off, they had to charge in. The lady lawyer as some indicated here to be shot by the police, died from a heart attack....however...he did state that they will review it all again, and he belives what he has since been told is that if it happens again..the policy will now be changed to an all clear and an instant shot. the objective will be to take out any person like that.
but its all in hindsight, and we are all experts then

and as some one said..a bullet hitting a glass window will shatter and deflect off on a diff angle..

It's been reported as Australia losing it's innocence,
Since the late 1700's when the white man first started "terrorising" the locals with biological weapons.
Meanwhile

Pakistan school attack: At least 141 people killed, including 132 children, in Taliban siege in Peshawar
Exactly.
Nothing to see here apparently, move along.

It's been reported as Australia losing it's innocence,

That's a well used byline journalists pull out every 2-3 years since the Beaumont children disappeared in1966. I'd say the Martin Bryant massacre in Tasmania is worse than this event. Yes this event is a tragedy but it must be a quiet news day in Oz going by the amount of media coverage it's getting.

treatment not being thrown in gaol, this has been proven again and again to do nothing but reinforce or propagate violence in most cases and the whole system should be one of rehabilitation.

I think you'd do well to read Why They Kill by Richard Rhodes. "Rehabilitation" is only effective if you catch them early enough, before what is called the violentisation process is complete - in other words while still young enough (school age). Once the process is complete, the criminologist who is the subject of the book, considers the process irreversible. Lock them up and throw away the key irreversible - rehabilitation will not work.

A bullet hitting glass will shatter not just the glass, but the bullet as well. Plus that building used to be a bank, so most likely still had the original 18mm plate glass. So either no bullet penetration, or it sprays shrapnel all over innocents.

This is actually the subject of a 120-odd page thesis (don't have the link handy right now) and the conclusion was that while it is true that glass deflects bullets, this is particularly of issue at distances of 5m or less. At distances greater than that between the shooter and the glass, the amount of deflection was found to be in the order of 5 inches at most. And to circumvent even that relatively small amount of deflection, you have two snipers, one to shoot a hole in the glass, followed a split second later by the kill shot.

Reactions: nhg
This is actually the subject of a 120-odd page thesis (don't have the link handy right now) and the conclusion was that while it is true that glass deflects bullets, this is particularly of issue at distances of 5m or less. At distances greater than that between the shooter and the glass, the amount of deflection was found to be in the order of 5 inches at most. And to circumvent even that relatively small amount of deflection, you have two snipers, one to shoot a hole in the glass, followed a split second later by the kill shot.

Interesting. What kind of rifle do you remember? I know that hunting even minor branches and things can really affect a regular rifle shot, unsure on what is involved with the higher powered rifles and snipers though.

I am guessing most regular windows in the CBD would be safety glass, which would be ideal. First shot gets a complete shatter then kill shot through empty frame. But as I mentioned, I think I read somewhere that the building was previously a bank and may have had thicker/laminated etc glass.

Post the link if you find it.

I think you'd do well to read Why They Kill by Richard Rhodes. "Rehabilitation" is only effective if you catch them early enough, before what is called the violentisation process is complete - in other words while still young enough (school age). Once the process is complete, the criminologist who is the subject of the book, considers the process irreversible. Lock them up and throw away the key irreversible - rehabilitation will not work.

Sounds like a good read. will add it to my list. thanks!

Interesting. What kind of rifle do you remember? I know that hunting even minor branches and things can really affect a regular rifle shot, unsure on what is involved with the higher powered rifles and snipers though.

I am guessing most regular windows in the CBD would be safety glass, which would be ideal. First shot gets a complete shatter then kill shot through empty frame. But as I mentioned, I think I read somewhere that the building was previously a bank and may have had thicker/laminated etc glass.

You'd probably be into this guy but he was shot last year on a shooting range. There's a new movie out based on his book called American Sniper. He's the deadliest sniper in US military history with 255 kills :)

255-confirmed-kills-Meet-Navy-SEAL-Chris-Kyle--deadliest-sniper-US-history.html

You'd probably be into this guy but he was shot last year on a shooting range. There's a new movie out based on his book called American Sniper. He's the deadliest sniper in US military history with 255 kills :)

255-confirmed-kills-Meet-Navy-SEAL-Chris-Kyle--deadliest-sniper-US-history.html

yer dont worry about bloody yanks..the yank sniper probably took out 100 of his own men...friendly fire...:) you know what they are like...

Read up on our own history..Billy Sing WWI aussie vet..over 300 , and that is not with the fancy rifles of today...a boar .303 issued...

left wing racist nonsense

Nonsense eh?

The occupation of the Sydney area by the British and the subsequent introduction of European diseases including smallpox decimated the Eora people and their neighbours. The disastrous 1789 smallpox epidemic is estimated to have killed about 50% of Sydney's indigenous population, and it has been claimed that only three Cadigal people were left alive by 1791, although archaeological evidence suggests that some Cadigal people may have escaped to the Concord area and settled there.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadigal
http://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/education/Resources/indigenous_people_of_sydney
http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/history/aboriginal-history-timeline-1770-1899

Further list of Australian settler Terrorist acts/massacres here
Are they nonsense as well?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_of_Indigenous_Australians

The above atrocities perfectly fit in the definition of terrorism, its pointless trying to deny it.

And what is possibly racist about my comment or left wing?
Facts are facts.

Last edited:
I'm a lefty, but characterising a smallpox epidemic as "terrorising with biological weapons" is more than a tad hyperbolic.

There is some uncertainty as to whether it was smallpox.

If it was smallpox - was it released deliberately? (Not sure if anyone, 225 years after the fact can answer that).

And if it was chickenpox (as the link above suggests it may have been) - then the question of deliberate infection remains, but far more likely that it was accidental I would have thought.

Either way - be it SP or CP - deliberate or accidental - it must have been a terrible and terrifying experience for the local indigenous people to have seen their people getting sick and dying from this mysterious (to them) illness.

Last edited:
Either way - be it SP or CP - deliberate or accidental - it must have been a terrible and terrifying experience for the local indigenous people to have seen their people getting sick and dying from this mysterious (to them) illness.
I don't dispute that for a moment; it was indeed catastrophic in its effect. Characterising it as "biological warfare", though, requires intent.

Back