Thanking REAs

Good evening!

I do try to get to know the REAs that I associate with (I get attached easily), and I do appreciate their time. Although, I'm unsure of what the protocol is when it comes to thanking REAs for their time. They've taken a few afternoons to show you a few properties, been patient in explaining things, a wealth of information on the suburb and surrounds, and generally good company. But maybe you're just not interested in any of their listings.

At the end of the day, do you just thank them for their time, or do would you follow up thank you for your email? Are tokenistic gifts e.g. chocolates a bit much? What do you guys personally do?

Cheers!

Christina :)

If the REA just showed me properties (e.g. doing their chosen job) I would just thank them as I would anyone else.

Depends on the relationship.

Above and beyond might get them a bribe...I mean a gift.

Does a deer buy a gift for the wolf that was stalking it but didn't take a bite?

This emotion thing. Don't do it. REA's refer to nice people as "woodies" ie wood ducks. Not my favorite breed of person

All those wasted afternoons showing houses to people like us eventually come back as payment by way of their considerable commissions on each sale.

REAs ultimately get paid to sell you a house by the vendor. No chocs or cards or so on is needed by you. Thank them for their time in showing you, and if you buy, be thankful that your bank balance isnt lower.

....But maybe you're just not interested in any of their listings.
At the end of the day, do you just thank them for their time, or do would you follow up thank you for your email?

Christina, thank them for their time certainly (that's just plain courtesy). Also give them genuine feed-back on the properties you inspected together. ie Pros & Cons of each one and why you are not buying. This helps them with their vendor meetings as to why they need to have the vendor "tidy up the <xxxxxx> whatever, as it puts people off", paint the front door, decrease the price by $15K to match a comparable sale in the same street, etc.

This kind of stuff is more valuable to them so they can do their job better and when they do fiind something you want, then they can get paid a comm ;)

The time RE agents spend showing houses etc and not making money is factored into the sales commission they make. They are just doing their job.

Believe me, they aren't doing it out of the goodness of their heart (and to be fair they're not the only ones)

You dont need to thank them. Just be grateful when you can find one that is competent and honest. If you do, go buy a lotto ticket the same day.

What you really mean is its valuable to them so they can condition the vendor.

I've never heard of an agent taking feedback that the place is under priced back to the vendor. LOL

This kind of stuff is more valuable to them so they can do their job better and when they do fiind something you want, then they can get paid a comm ;)

What you really mean is its valuable to them so they can condition the vendor.

Yes, that's what I am saying. :)

You and I both know that in the fist few weeks of a sales campaign, that the advertised price is very often more than the market will pay. (Sometimes this is because a vendor has unrealistic expectations and sometimes (or often), it is because the agent bought the listing).

Very occassionally, somebody will pay full asking price just because it is "just what they're looking for" or they are in a hurry to buy....so it is worth the selling agent 'having a go' at a price that is too high - someone might just may it (not me though).

But price aside, sometimes a vendor just needs to be told that it is worth it to:
1. Get rid of the 8 seater table that's crammed into the kitchen/dining room of the 2brm unit as it is making the place 'feel' small.
2. The lovely feature walls of lime green, purple and yellow was OK 10 years ago but the market has changed now......
stuff like that.

^ITA. I sometimes wonder if my 'feedback' gives them the $hit$ though? On Saturday I suggested to an agent that keeping the external blinds down at the front of the property was adversely affecting the street appeal and he just looked at me.

Forgot to say to Christina:
This should be a BUSINESS relationship. The other posters are right in saying that the REA is just doing their job, for which they will receive fair compensation from the vendors. You want them to respect you as a PI and potential buyer, so it's not in your interest to give them the impression that you're somehow a 'soft touch.' That said, courtesy is always welcomed so thank them for their time & also be up front with them about exactly what you're looking for. That way they won't put you in the 'tyre kicker' category as just a time-waster.

I actually really like the idea of a small gift, why not do something different to normal convention? Would certainly surprise the agent.

Not required though, best you can provide is honesty and if that means not wanting to buy the properties you have been shown then just say that straight out.

^ITA. I sometimes wonder if my 'feedback' gives them the $hit$ though? On Saturday I suggested to an agent that keeping the external blinds down at the front of the property was adversely affecting the street appeal and he just looked at me.
Yes there is that danger, I 'never' provide negative feedback to agents, which is tough sometimes :)

A similar story. Inspecting a target property recently for a client.

* I phone agent to enquire about status, still on the market, tell him it's of interest and I'm a Buyers Agent.. ask if he wants my phone number (caller ID blocked phone I was using).. he says... 'No that's ok'... a bit taken back by that response but let it go.

* Visit open home for this house, he's crunching a potential first home buyer that she really should make her offer without a building inspection clause to make it a stronger offer (really have to bite my tongue to stop taking him to task)

* Inspect the house without him acknowledging my presence, house has wonderful city views from main bedroom where the lights are turned off and blinds are closed on the window blocking the view.

Plenty of stories like that, but also plenty of stories where the agent does an excellent job and goes an extra mile for no short term reward, they tend to stick in the public memory less well though.

Good evening!

I do try to get to know the REAs that I associate with (I get attached easily), and I do appreciate their time. Although, I'm unsure of what the protocol is when it comes to thanking REAs for their time. They've taken a few afternoons to show you a few properties, been patient in explaining things, a wealth of information on the suburb and surrounds, and generally good company. But maybe you're just not interested in any of their listings.

At the end of the day, do you just thank them for their time, or do would you follow up thank you for your email? Are tokenistic gifts e.g. chocolates a bit much? What do you guys personally do?

Cheers!

Christina :)

this is a joke, surely.

i went to the local Westfield today. i tried on two jeans and a t shirt. i left them a box of chockys and a card because i didn't purchase anything. harden up!

Back