The Age Newspaper Online ruined my lunch!!!

As expat from Melbourne, The Age has been my window to the world and source of news for both Melbourne and Australia for years.

Every day I religiously sit down and read it during my lunch break.

Every day until today when I was rudely asked (forced) to pay up after reaching a new monthly limit of 10 articles or stop reading :eek:

So what now??? Be for ever denied a simple pleasure OR give in to the tyranny and pay $15 a month for the dubious honour of reading Melbourne's rag???

Could always read the Herald Sun (shock horror) but I can't bear to sink that low.

As expat from Melbourne, The Age has been my window to the world and source of news for both Melbourne and Australia for years.

Every day until today when I was rudely asked (forced) to pay up after reaching a new monthly limit of 10 articles or stop reading :eek:

So what now??? Be for ever denied a simple pleasure OR give in to the tyranny and pay $15 a month for the dubious honour of reading Melbourne's rag???

Could always read the Herald Sun (shock horror) but I can't bear to sink that low.

My mate works for the age, lot of lay-offs as they aren't making much cash.

Actually she flew to NY to do a documentary on free-online-news. Turns out it's killing the industry, they still haven't figured out how to make it profitable.

I guess this is their attempt at staying afloat.

I have a great little add on for Firefox called Self-Destructing Coolies. It allows you to authorise sites to lodge cookies on the fly, making it easy to deny sites the ability to track you, or to allow them to track you as you browse. It also deletes cookies as you go.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/self-destructing-cookies/?src=api

Another useful one is Cookie Controller

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/cookie-controller/?src=api

You'd be amazed at how many cookies the various newspaper sites throw at you.

A side effect is this hasn't hindered my ability to browse theage.com.au at all. I can open as many articles as I want.

Not sure if this works for the age, but does for other new sites with a paywall. eg AFR or The Australian.

Copy the article URL or headline and paste to google news. Follow the links and you get the full version.

god forbid they should make some money...

They might actually be able to then employ some people, and may actually be able to still remain solvent so you can still get your daily fix.

I was rudely asked (forced) to pay up

Drama queen.

You were asked, not rudely asked.

You were asked, not (forced).

The decision is yours. If you don't wish to pay the journalist's for their work, but wish to consume their wares nonetheless, then why not donate your time for free.

You could always do their garden for free for a few hours if you are too tight to pay for their services which you like to consume.

Back