"The Architect" & Real Estate Development

Good to see I've got an ally in this meandering conversation, Tubs - I'm definitely outnumbered.

The definition of a draftsperson can get blurry. They used to be a person who simply drew up somebody else's design - whether that somebody was an architect or an engineer. So essentially, they didn't have any design input. Then I'd say some of them got a bit jack of that and started offering design and drawing services - chasing better money and more interesting work. Alot of them were still drawing on things that they had seen, though, so they weren't doing 'unique' designs.

But there would be plenty of draftspeople out there who have a better design sense than an architect, but couldn't be bothered spending 5 years at uni. The challenge is finding them.

I remember in Sydney a few years ago there was an architect called Drew Heath. He won awards for some great projects, and he built them himself. I don't know whether he was an architect who learnt building later, or a builder who studied architecture. Either way, he solved that problem of finding a builder willing to work with an architect.

Scott

Back