The art of persuasion, going once ...

An interesting article in the SMH.

The whole article is worth reading, but I found in particalur this bit interesting

"And they [real estate agents] appear to use a different language to describe those owners' homes. Certain words turn out to be associated with high prices when used in real estate ads. They include "granite", "gourmet" and "state-of-the-art". Each conveys specific useful information. Other words are associated with a lower price. They include "fantastic", "well maintained" and "charming". Levitt found that the agents tended to use the first group of words to describe their own properties, the second to describe their clients' homes.

He believes the words in the second group function as a sort of code. The phrase "well maintained" might signal to a buyer that a house is old but not quite falling down. A low offer might be accepted. "But to the 65-year-old retiree who is selling his house, 'well maintained' might sound like a compliment, which is just what the agent intends.""

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Opinion/The-art-of-persuasion/2005/04/05/1112489482681.html

Anyone else got 'real estate speak' they want to share?

Jas

Some of the funnier ones actually come from an appendix of the REINSW's own course notes, on it's Certificate of Registration course. So, at least agents can laugh at themselves- good to see :)

DISTINCTIVE: built by retired builder in imitation of the Taj Mahal
MODEST: Indescribably awful
IDYLLIC: Low beams and white ants
SMALL GARDEN: Space for gladioli or two azaleas
IDEAL FOR DEVELOPMENT: Current owner unable to obtain planning permission
SUITABLE FOR CONVERSION: falling down
SUITABLE FOR RESTORATION: has recently fallen down

Hi Jas
Great article, loved it. I'd like to read his book.
Definately agree with REA's being big askers. I handled the sale and rental of REAs homes, they want the max everytime and don't mind waiting.
cheers
crest133

I read the article in the Sydney Mouning Herald today myself. Made for interesting reading.....

Some more:

ART DECO: Walls aren't quite straight & corners aren't 90 degrees

FUNKY: Poky & ugly but walls newly painted in gaudy colours

GROOVY: ditto

HIP: ditto

BACHELOR PAD: as above, but walls don't need to be painted

IN QUIET AREA: (when referring to houses in high-crime suburbs): The latest bikie/drug raid was safely remote (in the next street).*

* I have been visiting the cheapest suburbs in Melbourne and Geelong and am convinced that this description is used far more there than in the posher areas.

Rgds, Peter

Hi Jaz
Good article
Brought back memories from a looong time back. One of my first jobs after leaving school was working in a RE agents office at The Entrance.
Part of the work was to 'flower up' the adds in the 'For Sale' window. I was told to 'use your imagination' and given examples.
As the memory goes, we were never to use the words, small, tiny, dull, etc and I suppose you could say they looked at things in a positive way. :rolleyes:
Both groups of words used are 'codes' and not just for RE agents homes (IMHO) To infer these items are better than anothers.
Read a list a while back and my favorite is still 'renovators delight':
Needs bloody heaps of work.
jahn

Where do you start!!!

I like the ads that say 4 bedroom :)

Actually 2 bed , 1 enclosed verandah and dining room. :eek:

Peter 147

PS Or STCA Subject to Council approval. I.e. Could build Luna Park here STCA which has NO chance. ;)

Jas,

This may be olde hat 20 yrs ago but I think some South Qld rural acreages predominantly being "bladey grass" were marketed as "Queensland Oats". :D

Skater,

"Owner says sell" is still one of the best. To me it shouts "could be desperate".

A86

I love this thread...

"This location rocks" !
dont buy this if you like sleeping between 11pm and 2 am. Pub with live music next door.

"Stones throw to public transport"
only if you can throw the stone up a hill for a kilometer and round a few corners.

"Feel the Buzz of this vibrant multicultural area"
Your unit is between the 7/11 and the drug rehab.Dont leave your washing on the line overnight -you wont see it again,

"Needs a little TLC"
Its Termite city.

I like the spelling though..Sheek inner city units,ect.

Hours of innocent fun to be had decoding the RE pages,

plainsong said:
I love this thread...

"Stones throw to public transport"
only if you can throw the stone up a hill for a kilometer and round a few corners.

I like the spelling though..Sheek inner city units,ect.

Hours of innocent fun to be had decoding the RE pages,

I agree :)
Though, I think you'll find with recent litigation cases and changes to the RE Code of Conduct rules, that terms like "a stone's throw" are not as widely used, as they have been challenged. You can just see it now, can't you? A potential buyer is sizing up a place that's been described as being a "Stone's throw to the local shops" by tossing some decent rocks, only to find it's actually more like several stones thrown by several people in a well organised line. Well, whose actual throwing skills is your ad referring to Mr Agent? Hehehe.... lots of fun to be had here :)
I'm not bagging the agents as I love our expressions in this great country but just pointing out that a grain of salt needs to be taken with terms like this attached to ads. Do your own research and don't believe the hype. It's better to be pleasantly surprised by a property when you look at it, rather than be disappointed because the wide angle lens distorted the true size of the backyard or the photo taken of the "water view" was taken by a low flying aircraft above the house :)

skater said:
I like the ones that say "Owner says sell". What the!!!!

Yep, and then you turn up to the auction and it's passed in at a price well above the estimate in the ad :p Translation: "Owner says sell-if-the-price-is-good."

All I can say is I'm devastated that "stones throw" is being abandoned-how else can we know for sure its miles from anything we need.
I just love "rat infested hovel "though..

Cheers

Here's some more, from my scrapbook of ads:

Go bananas with this one and renovate to your hearts content: renovators delight

Potential plus: as above

Start here: as above

Begging to be renovated: as above

Rent or redevelop: beyond being a renovators delight

A great start: we can't think of anything else to say about it

Add to your investment portfolio: as above

Beginners luck: you'll need it!

Freshly painted: just don't tap the weatherboards

First impressions can be deceiving: Needs painting on the rear and side walls

Family required: I think they mean buyer required

Golden opportunity to purchase in Newport: Great suburb, pity about the house!

Blue chip Richmond Hill investment: yet another 1br flat

Handy corner block: Hope you're deaf and have thick blinds

Surprisingly large: average-sized

Peter

"Close to Transport"
- backing onto railway tracks or a freeway.

"Rustic Charm"
- dirty

"Capitalize"
- need to spend up big to make it livable.

"Plenty of scope for improvement"
- as above.

"Same family for 50 years"
- Granny died in the house last week.

"Ideal for growing families"
- the last family in the house as trashed it.

"Funky"
- you will find marijuana being grown

"Unique"
- absolutely awfull.

"Natural bush setting"
- Land is on a 45degree slope and covered with blackberries, dead grass and rocks, agent probably saw a couple of snakes.

Yep, and then you turn up to the auction and it's passed in at a price well above the estimate in the ad :p Translation: "Owner says sell-if-the-price-is-good."
EXACTLY. In reality, it means nothing. It's simply a ploy to mislead buyers into believing the owner is willing to sell at a reduced price and or is very flexible with offers. Rubbish!

A great start: we can't think of anything else to say about it
lol. So truuuueeee.

Great thread guys.

Back