The best builder I've ever come across

I've known her for a few years and she lives in my street. She's doing a reno for a friend who lives down the street. So it's all nice and close - which is always a risk for all concerned.
The job started early January and is on track to finish at the end of this month - as promised. That's despite the rain Sydney has had over the last month. And despite the fact that renos to 100 year old houses always throw up some unexpected problems.
It's a small reno - about $120K. Typical inner west reno: open up the back of the house with timber doors, put a deck on, new (relocated) kitchen and new bathroom/laundry, and some other little bits.
The builder starts early and doesn't like to stop for lunch. But she lets her subbies stop.
She's there before them and usually on site till after 5pm.
She often spends time on site on Saturday by herself and last weekend I saw her truck outside on Sunday. Apparently she wanted to paint the place as the floors were due to get done Monday.
The client mentioned she wouldn't mind extending the shed down the backyard one day, so the builder has had her guys doing that in the downtime using some of the demo materials.
She also noticed (courtesy of the recent rain) that the gutters on the house and some of the roofing were on the way out, so she replaced them - charged materials cost only.
It's great to see a builder who loves what they do.
Scott

Yep, doesn't cost much to throw up a low spec project home on a level block.

Renos per sqm are often more expensive than new builds.

And architect designed stuff adds more cost.

It's not always about money.

Thanks for the post depreciator its not often good tradies get mentioned its always the bad/dodgy ones.

Maybe you should have a chat to Her and ask Her if she would like Her business contact details put on SS for all those SS ers that live in that area.

Hope She has great success with Her business:)
cheers

Yep, doesn't cost much to throw up a low spec project home on a level block.

Renos per sqm are often more expensive than new builds.

And architect designed stuff adds more cost.

It's not always about money.

was talking more like the henley, av jennings and dennis walker homes rather than a kit home.

agree - renos cost more than new builds.
out of curiosity - that 120K reno - what did she do?

The reno scope is in my original post - third para down. I would copy and paste the bit, but can't seem to do that on the iPad (possibly a lack of skill on my part).

She does well, yadreamin. I don't think she even has a phone these days because people keep calling her and asking her to do work. She chooses her projects based on gut feel of the client (most would be friends or friends of clients) and whether she likes the design - I'd say she thinks life is too short to build ugly stuff. She also likes to have some input into the design as the project progresses, which necessitates a flexible architect. Her own renovation is very good - different from the typical builder where they tend to use things left over from jobs and their house looks like it has multiple personalities.

She sounds like a real professional. Not your wife is it? :D

Seriously now, with that attitude and work ethic it's no wonder she is successful. Good luck to her and her clients. It's a real education just to read stories about people like this and how their outlook relates to their success and results.

Thanks Scott.

No, if my wife was a builder she would meddle in my DIY projects.

I have told my two daughters that it would suit me perfectly if one of them became a plumber and the other an electirician becasue they're two things I don't like doing much.

...I have told my two daughters that it would suit me perfectly if one of them became a plumber and the other an electirician becasue they're two things I don't like doing much.

We are planning on encouraging our daughter into professional golf or tennis. Then she can just pay for our retirement for us.

Back