The big BBQ in Canberra

I mentioned this at the end of another thread- it's been suggested that I raise this as a new topic.

Someone mentioned in Sydney that TW's big BBQ in Canberra has not been mentioned yet this year.

Does anyone know if this is being scheduled? Or is it no longer the premier event in Australian property investing?

It's early times yet... but if it's not planned, we need a way to increase Canberra tourism :)

Why don't you organise something yourself geoffw ?

I think too many people have left the organisation of social networking events to Freestylers in the last year or so - we can do so much more if we all chip in to help organise things.

I was in the chatroom talking to See_Change and JoannaK and we were all complaining about how busy we were - too busy to even organise a pub get together.

So I decided to do something about it... I picked up the phone and called Phillips Foote (after consulting with SC and JK to find a mutually suitable date) - and booked some tables. Took about 30 seconds all up !!!!!!!!!!

Look at what Sunstone and friends have done up in Brisbane with the B.I.G. - and the MSN group in Melbourne (what happened to Sydney ???) - if someone is willing to put in a little effort to organise something themselves, great things can happen.

I acknowledge that organising a catered lunch get-together is much more difficult than a buy-your-own pub lunch... but get a couple of locals together and organise it... shouldn't be too hard ?

Hi Sim,

Certainly I don't mind doing something... I just want to make sure that Freestylers did not already have it organised- hence the post.

There's nothing on their calendar to indicate- a pity, TW's big BBQ was becomning an institution.

Are people interested in a BBQ? Canberra people only or interstate as well? Is June just too d**d cold to come to Canberra?

That's right Ruby, I remember you telling me about going up Telstra a Tower the next day with a very strong and very cold wind- I'm sure some appendages would have finished with frostbite.

I was thinking that something during Floriade would give people extra reason to come to Canberra.

Dear Sim/Geoff,

Agree that a little initiative can work wonders and helps others.

Floriade is certainly interesting but the boost in tourists during this time does put restrictions on available accommodation.

Still I think there could be a place for a national forum get-together although if the place is moved every-year others would say that is more democratic. (Of course I am not biased with Brisbane :) )

Anyway some thoughts............

Cheers,

Sunstone.

I for one and very keen for another Canberra get together but since most of Canberra is centrally heated in winter I see no reason why we should meet in a drafty shed and expect interstate visitors (and us locals) to freeze.
Let's get together in Canberra in a nice warm place! Why wait for freestylers to organise???:)

or...

We could move it around the country, and maybe have it somewhere else this year...

like, well, I don't know... um... SUNNY BRISBANE!!!

I vote we have it here this year!

asy :D

Absolutely !!! Brissie sounds good to me too (get to see my cheese and kisses again ;) ) And is BOUND to be warmer than Canberra (sorry, TW, GeoffW, uncle Tom Cobbley, and all....)

Regards,

yeah Les!!

Also, there are so many ppl talking about the market in BNE, and having a look around, so here's ya chance!!!

I will even put my hand up to organise it... (did I really do that, don't ANYONE tell andy...) I was planning to have a big pink BBQ through work, to raise money for Breast Cancer Awareness (the Professionals' corporate sponsors) so maybe we can combine the two?

better post this fast, before I change my mind...

Hi guys,

Must say I'm with Asy on this one.

Many moons ago when we attended the first Big BBQ in Canberra I spent most of the day with my teeth chattering - a draughty shed in the middle of winter with one open fire place is not a fun place to be... and distinctly remember MG being the resident fireplace hog!!

Asy, a 'TW' style Big BBQ in Brisvegas sounds fantastic.

I'll be the one behind the bar, mixing the pina coladas for everyone ;)

MT

hehe watto

I have a ticket booked to BNE for the 13th of May

Want me to save you a seat at the bar ;)

And to agree with bridie, a BBQ in the middle of winter in Canberra, in a tin shed full of holes, hmm, better places to be at that time of the year...like a heated club / pub.

It's also funny to get off the plane from Canberra in the middle of winter and arrive in Brisbane only to see all the locals shivering from the cold...go figure ;)

Cheers

Phil

Big BBQ

Geoffw, I'd certainly be interested in helping you organise somethig in Canberra !

I reckon that the shed was fine (then again, I am used to the weather down here).

Maybe we should ask TW what, if anything, is planned so that we don't clash with a Freestylers event?

It would be nice to get everyone from everywhere together but, in any case, We could always just do an event for the local forumites/freestylers if no one else wanted to brave the cold...sort of like an "everyone bring a plate" thingy and hold it at someone's house...I'd volunteer my new place but it would have to be after July 31st as we don't settle till then.

ideas????

Savanna

OK, I have just spoken with TW...

She is not planning a Big BBQ this year... BUT...

The reason it was always in the middle of July is because it's TW's Birthday then (18th) and this was her birthday party, although I did point out to her that it sorta works better if ppl know it's your birthday.. hehe

Anyway...

I said that we were looking at having one this year, and said that it was maybe gonna be in BNE, and asked if she'd come if we had it, and she said YES!!!

So, build it and they will come, becomes, BBQ it and she will come!!!

Anyway, I propose the 20th July, as that holds with tradition, and I propose sunny BNE... (Venue yet to be determined). I propose a simple sausage sizzle with a few salads, (I don't think the bring a plate thing will work, because it will be hard for interstaters).

What do you all think?

I think it sounds like a great idea. Some venue suggestions:
New Farm Park, Kangaroo Point Cliffs or Oriel Park at West End. These are all central locations, but there are some lovely places at Cleveland.
Cheers
ElizabethL

:)

Dear Asy,

Yes if you build it they will come.

Certainly agree with that one.

Must make sure that we convince Phil H to do two trips to Brissy in 2.5 months. :) Maybe the CBR guys could book together and get a group airfare discount???

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Hey people,

The subject of this thread is a BBQ in CANBERRA.

That event is one of the FEW events where people come to Canberra, instead of the other way around.

And, in the last few years, it has been the only event where people from (at least) Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra have come together to meet.

I raised the subject, because it was mentioned in the SYDNEY lunch- for which I drove up and back in the same day. About the fourth event this FY I've done the same.

But now that I've raised the subject, it's been hijacked to Brisbane.

Have we been put into the backwater once again?

OK, apologies for a bit of hornet nest stirring...

Canberra is definitely too cold that time of year- but I'm not one who would be in a position to get to Brisbane.

TW's bbq seemed to have a pull, which would not really be there if anyone else but her was running it.

Having said that- would a "rotation" event (say every three months) be worth while?

It would not have that same "national" feel- but it may be an excuse for some of those who have the ability to meet some of the interstate forumites.

One could even be held in Perth (or London)- there might not be so many who attend though.

Back