The Block 2015

Okay - okay ... so the quality of the finish might be a bit "how's your father" but I love watching this show for the design ideas.

Starts tonight on #9 at 7.30pm

We record the shows and fast forward through all the silly bits. Mainly watch the reveals to see the new ideas. Not interested in challenges or bickering.
Marg

Unfortunately the 2 Ds are back in this series...that has already put me off :mad:

Chris

Agree - don't like Mrs D ... she can be a back stabbing, nasty piece of work ... would much rather have seen someone like Dale and Sophie (but they just had a baby) ... but suppose the D's are back to stir up trouble

We record the shows and fast forward through all the silly bits. Mainly watch the reveals to see the new ideas. Not interested in challenges or bickering.
Marg

Haha yeah my mum does that. Was watching an episode with her and someone started tearing up and she was straight on the FastForward.

I don't like the returning contestants concept.

Definitely shows the intent of the program is a lot more about personalities than it is about building. Kind of like 'Neighbours' mixed with 'Better Homes and Gardens'.

I hate myself for it, but is still watch it.

I watched it last night and was amazed at the two cousins. They had no idea. At least they managed to get a tradesman.

One of the others had not managed to work anything out at the end of the show.

Appears to be Carpenters/Trades against people with no idea!!!

Not sure this is going to work

Chris

There does seem to be a few with absolutely no idea. OMG! The cousins! Surely they should have realised that this is a RENOVATION show & at least had some idea about something?

There does seem to be a few with absolutely no idea. OMG! The cousins! Surely they should have realised that this is a RENOVATION show & at least had some idea about something?
I'm sure the producers were well aware of their lack of ability/experience when they applied and were vetted for a spot..

Don't assume the show is about renos - it's about the human drama and the personalities and what they might attract in ratings.

Just rubbish tv for me - I like the drama in the form of a thrilling series or movie (pre-recorded of course; to avoid all the real reasons for shows such as The Block, etc - the ads).

Much prefer a real reno show.

I'm sure the producers were well aware of their lack of ability/experience when they applied and were vetted for a spot..

Don't assume the show is about renos - it's about the human drama and the personalities and what they might attract in ratings.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I know you are right, but I don't watch it for the drama. The drama is damn annoying!

Took about 10 minutes to fast forward through the entire show recording. Will only watch room reveals and judging.

Who cares about the individuals at this stage - only 4 out of 16 go through anyway.

Don't dismiss novices. Steve and Chantelle were amateurs and soundly thrashed by the judges, but managed to win their series and around $700K.
Marg

They need to show more about the renovation side of it and less drama. After all it is a show about renovating. What ever happened to the show house rules or that other one I can't remember the name of.

They need to show more about the renovation side of it and less drama. After all it is a show about renovating. What ever happened to the show house rules or that other one I can't remember the name of.

I know the one you mean - on Channel 9 several years ago, where the renovations were done by actual interior designers ... one of whom is now Darren Palmer of The Block judging fame - one of the other contestants was Tracey (methinks) who is on the Carpet Court ads with him.

... ta da ... homeMADE

Was slaughtered by the critics - but I really liked it - probably not enough drama

Yes that's true. To many drama queens. What happened to a normal Reno show that will actually teach people what it's actually about. It's all crap any way, you can't do a bathroom in 2 days without cutting major corners.

I think anyone with half a brain - and any reno experience - knows that ... although I feel sorry the real life tradies having to deal with the other half without a brain and no experience.

I watch it for the design ideas ... had some fabulous inspiration over the years from this show ... and spotted my new bedroom feature wall colour (or similar) last night ... the smokey teal colour

One area of our family room was actually designed by Shayna Blaize (sp?) - idea pinched shamelessly from her solution to a similar area on a house in Selling Australia!
Marg

Yes that's true. To many drama queens. What happened to a normal Reno show that will actually teach people what it's actually about. It's all crap any way, you can't do a bathroom in 2 days without cutting major corners.
There have been some shows where this occured - Scott Cam (the current host of The Block) was one for a time, and was pretty good at it I thought...reasonably "normal" in his presentation for the most part back then.

Others since -they are soo over-the-top cheerful and upbeat you just wanna kick them in the nailbag and say "Cut the shoit, will ya?".

Best at the moment in my opinion is Charlie Albone from Selling Houses - nice bloke, talks normal and doesn't **** you off with over-the-top ra-ra posture and/or bogan personality.

Barry Du Bois from "The Living Room" is also a guy I can keep on watching - normal and not a showman.

Back