"The Block" - Bondi's Faulty Towers

Thanks Jamie for that link. Must say that it dosent surprise me at all because they all have a very tight budget to work on and a time line to complete each room. Every cent has to go towards cosmetic stuff that will sell the apartment.

Interesting that the team with a tradie ,paul and kylie, have the best finished apartment. Some advantage to be in the building trade for a show like this.

I read in Fridays paper that the block is coming to Melbourne and a run down apartment complex in Brighton has been considered.

Surely some one on this forum in Sydney has been to see the apartments?
Would love to hear what you thought about them.

Mrs Bird
:)

There was also an article in 'The Age', Melbourne, this weekend, that said a lot of potential buyers were put off - believing the apartments would sell for way more than they are worth - thanks to the t.v. hype. Suggested the opposite might happen, the apartments being hard to sell and might even do so for a bargain price.
It will be interesting to see the reality.

Lily

Thanks for the link Jamie, I laughed myself silly reading about it.

It shows that crossing reality & renovation TV is a very dangerous path to take :)

I wonder how many building flaws exist in the renovations completed by other TV property shows?

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I can't believe the guy who's managed to flood downstairs 3 seperate times gets the vote for the best quality reno....

I also can't believe he's a plumber !!!
:confused: :rolleyes:

I've probably watched 60% of the episodes. I came to the conclusion that TV is a very forgiving medium in terms of showing up errors, unless they deliberately try to focus on it. Maybe it's why they can get away with building crap on these lifestyle shows, because the errors don't really show up anyway.

As I watched this series, there were some classic close-ups, like in Gav/Wazza's apartment a close-up of their polished floorboards in the corner where two skirting boards met. There was still paint in the corner - something they weren't bothered attempting to remove.

A couple of shots of Phil/Amity's walls at a tight angle and close-up showed just how rough their paintwork was. Phil gets the dubious honor (from me) of being the worst builder on that show (or the most stupid). He is the one who didn't know his limits - didn't know when to call a professional.

Take away all the glitzy Freedom Furniture and basically you have a pretty stock reno, some painting, new kitchen/bathrooms, and polished floorboards.

Except for Paul the plumber, the majority of the advanced work was still carried out by tradies anyway. The "couples" mainly did painting then had a crack (perhaps once) at the polished floorboards, and selected furniture.

Last edited:
I also had to laugh at a shot of Amity painting with rings on her finger and paint dripping down her hand! Somewhat unbelievable.

And the intelligence award also goes to Amity for bringing a nice piano into an apartment under renovation. Yesterday I seen her "farewelling" her piano as it was taken away presumably back to her home, saying it was now "shabby chic" with paint spatter, scratches etc on it.

I would have thought someone intelligent would have got an electric piano or even a fully-weighted synth keyboard to play on, making it easy to move around, keep out of the way, etc. After all, it was only for 2 1/2 months, not 10 years.

OK...I admit it. I absolutely LOVE the show.

I dont care how bad they do things as long as it looks good on tv thats enough for me.

Would someone in Sydney please please pleeeeeeese go and have a look and then report back. I promise I will go to the one in Melbourne and give a report to the forum.

Mrs Bird.

Oh!....and I forgot to mention that I know Amity's old music teacher. ;)

Its very much a bog and flog effort isnt it,

but its good for a laugh...

The people who buy the properties will no doubt have to

be prepared to knock out a lot of the pretty stuff and do it all

again properly,

BTW Im pleased that plumber guy isnt doing my plumbing!

(3 big leaks in that short time-gee,)

not surprised boys are very cheesed!!

Can't say I am a follower of the show and last night was the first show I watched in its entirety.

Must agree with plainsong, there is no way I would let that incompetent plumber anywhere near any of my jobs.

Did you hear the ******** he came up with as to why the problems happened and the arrogant and aggresive manner in which he dealt with an obvious emotional situation.

Cheers

Originally posted by handyandy
Can't say I am a follower of the show and last night was the first show I watched in its entirety.

Must agree with plainsong, there is no way I would let that incompetent plumber anywhere near any of my jobs.

Did you hear the ******** he came up with as to why the problems happened and the arrogant and aggresive manner in which he dealt with an obvious emotional situation.

Cheers
and the emotional way in which the boys responded? I thought that was a little too much myself.

Sorry, but I think the boys are milking some stereotypes for all they're worth.

Gotta say, I agree with GeoffW...

I was a fan of the boys', I thought they did a really imaginative job with their unit, but I must say, this last few episodes, I am SO SICK of them parading around in their undies.. I mean, is it REALLY necessary?

And then, the piece de resistance, um, totally naked under an apron? @rse hanging out... geez...

and then the big sook session.. well, there went most of my respect for them.

Yeah, they shouldn't have said the other unit was like a mental institution, and the other two got mad at them, but this whole last couple of weeks culminating in them just leaving without saying goodbye because 'they didn't come to make friends'... well, wow.

They get points for their unit, but lose points for their sookyness.

Having said that, I think they'd still be a laugh to have dinner with :)

asy :D

For some reason I really like what Phil and Amity did. If I was to buy one of the units I would dump the furniture as none of the couples taste in furniture appeals to me and with a bit of work on Sundays the dodgy work they did could be fixed.

The boys unit is by far my least favorite - Style ahead of practicality!

gumballr1
What. You don't like the idea of having to bend down and open two doors to open a small refrigerator in an un-ventilated cupboard, every time you want to get something cold ?:rolleyes:
I don't
But must admit I liked watching the show, and did like a lot of the ideas they came up with. Not my style though.
There was a show on ACA with the said building inspector, and it seems like most of the problems were hype and easily fixed, (2 days they were told)
Asy Agree. What's the thing with the undies?
jahn

Hi all,
Is it just me (and my wife) - or are others here "over" the cross promotions such as Amities single release and the other blondes appearance in Ralph magazine!!!!! Boy oh boy !!!

Come on, most of these couples weren't in it for the rennovating or even to fund their own home. It's a springboard for something else like all the other reality show participants. Clever way to get your foot in the door I think.

I really enjoyed the show but the boys irritated me beyond belief by the end. Temperamental divas the pair of them and I sooo agree about the undies thing. It's a show on at 6:30 with kids watching. It's not appropriate for blokes to be wandering around in their undies the whole time. The other blokes didn't.

I did like the results though and the unique twist each couple brought to their unit. I did love the boys garden. Will be interesting to see the auction results.... Would be funny if they didn't sell. :D

Shaggygirl

Hahaha Shaggygirl

I think if the boys unit was upstairs it would be passed in. No bath, that silly wall divider and no fridge would turn off families and investors alike. If they were rennovating a unit in Darlinghurst they would win but Darlo aint Bondi.

With that garden I think it will sell but I think Fiona and Adams place will get a lot more money.

PS I am known by my friends and family to always undervalue property and then I am in shock when I check the property guides or watch an auction. Hence they will probably win!

You are right Shaggygirl, just a springboard for something else. I personally know someone (related) who went on a well known reality show last year....and part of the reason is as you say.
I wouldn't mind going to the auctions, but thousands will be there....forget it.

Its interesting that the only renovation experience any of these guys had was renovating their own homes.

No wonder they made so many mistakes (basic things like not waterproofing bathrooms)

Jas

Back