The Block is Back Channel 9

The renovation blockbuster "The Block" is back and should be good entertainment value after all renovating is a national pastime isn't it? The show was a hit when it first started in 2003; here's hoping there timing is okay this time around also

The show will surely be a marketing and products blitz on screen as well as off screen with The Block forums, farcebook pages and twitters ;)

Its hosted by Scott Cam this time and the Participants are:

* Erin and Jake - engaged sporting couple, Jake is currently training to represent Australia in kayaking at the next Olympics.

* Duncan and Mark - best mates who met in a hardware store 20 years ago. Apparently nicknamed "Two Fat Tradies" :D

* Brenton and Cheryl - a dating couple, he's a construction worker and she's a real estate agent with a passion for interior deign.

* Neisha and John - married four years, John works as a construction engineer while Neisha is a pre-school teacher.

The couples have just eight weeks and $80,000 to out-design and out-decorate each other in a struggle to complete the best apartment. This includes $30,000 in cash from Commonwealth Bank, $20,000 from Freedom Furniture, $15,000 from Freedom Kitchens and a $15,000 voucher from Reece.

Each week the couples will present one room to judges Neale Whitaker and John McGrath in a bid to win extra cash and prizes to go towards their budget. But the winning apartment will be decided by the toughest judges of all – the buying public.

When the apartments go to auction later this year each couple will get to keep all the profit they make. The couple pocketing the most profit will also take home the ultimate cash prize of $100,000.

This year’s series is set in Vaucluse, one of Australia’s most exclusive suburbs and a real estate goldmine. Each apartment is on a grand scale with three bedrooms, two bathrooms and huge open-plan living, dining and kitchen areas. But as the renovators will discover in the first episode, big apartments mean an even bigger challenge, and winning this game means giving it everything they’ve got.

Attachments

• The Block 2010.JPG
    The Block 2010.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 121
Channel 10 is apparently also looking at a new show called "The Renovators" from the makers of MasterChef. The Renovators will be a challenge based show testing renovation skills of the participants

Ten describes The Renovators as:

“A brand new ‘big event’ TV franchise. From Shine Australia comes the biggest home makeover show ever seen. Amateur home renovators, budding decorators and wannabe developers will battle it out through workshop and offsite challenges, skills tests and eliminations for the right to renovate one of six rundown houses. The ultimate winner will need to survive the Live Auction Finale to take the top prize.”

hanging out as i love this show - getting to see the real reno process, and how four identical properties are presented in 4 different ways.

junior (7yrs old) is also really excited and she is a reno freak.

and $80k, when you see what is required to be done, and that they have to use tradies for a lot of it, is not a big budget at all .... if they didn't have day jobs and could do a lot of the hack work themselves, then it's not so bad as i did our entire house and yard for $60k - but laboured my backside off (literally).

I applied to the block.

Didnt hear anything back from them.

Was a little cut, because I went to a lot effort to make a fiilm and everything, not even a box of chocs or letter in the mail saying sorry your crap nathan.

lol

Il have to just make it my goal to buy my own block. :d

I applied to the block.

Was a little cut, because I went to a lot effort to make a fiilm and everything, not even a box of chocs or letter in the mail saying sorry your crap nathan.

lol

Il have to just make it my goal to buy my own block. :d

It could be because you are A) Single, and B) No daytime job to go to everyday.

We would have applied, but Hubby has too much training for skating to make it viable for us. Plus, they usually seem to gravitate to the young, good looking couples plus one boy/boy for ratings.

Not sure what selection criteria they had, but the girl who runs my daughter's pre-school made it onto the show. Apparently my daughter's drawing is going to be seen on the show tonight! Haha! :D

Nathan, I'll tell you myself. You just don't cut it in the renovation stakes :D

I'm looking forward to this show also. Although I hope the product placement/sponsorship/advertising blah di blah isn't too overbearing - more Masterchef than series two of The Block would be ok.
Are you listening Channel Nine? Probably not :D

I haven't been in PI long enough to remember - but was the last series on when the renovation boom was happening or just before it?
People getting into the idea of loving a place to reno themselves etc.

I applied to the block.

you've got to much experience, or are not loony enough looking.

they want good looking novices who completely stress out - or over-the-top personalities who know what they are doing.

I'm looking forward to this show also. Although I hope the product placement/sponsorship/advertising blah di blah isn't too overbearing - more Masterchef than series two of The Block would be ok.

The couples have just eight weeks and $80,000 to out-design and out-decorate each other in a struggle to complete the best apartment. This includes $30,000 in cash from Commonwealth Bank, $20,000 from Freedom Furniture, $15,000 from Freedom Kitchens and a $15,000 voucher from Reece.

I don't like your chances Tuppence!

I have the alarm set for 730 where I will turn over from pay tv onto the dreaded free to air to watch. Can't wait.

another garbage show.........give me Q&A on ABC on monday nights every day of the week, not garbage like the block thanks...

Throw in the WELCOME PACK full of products to assist them in living in and renovating The Block, I saw:

• Cars
  • Telstra T-Hub & T-Box
  • Bisley Workwear
  • Black & Decker Tools
  • Toughbook Laptops
  • Microwave
  • Air Conditioner
  • Mattress & Linen
  • Bathroom, Dining & Kitchen items

And probably missed some :D

I was surprised at the amount of work done to the place before they even moved in :eek:

Though also wondered if they made the place look 'extra messy' with all the cr*p in the bathrooms and toilet, plus the damaged walls etc .

I was also wondering what they paid for the property itself?

Least the tradies were thinking on thier feet and spoke to a real estate agent the next morning about what adds value in the area, will be interesting to see it all unfold over the coming weeks

Throw in the WELCOME PACK full of products to assist them in living in and renovating The Block, I saw:

• Cars
  • Telstra T-Hub & T-Box
  • Bisley Workwear
  • Black & Decker Tools
  • Toughbook Laptops
  • Microwave
  • Air Conditioner
  • Mattress & Linen
  • Bathroom, Dining & Kitchen items

And probably missed some :D

I was surprised at the amount of work done to the place before they even moved in :eek:

I'm wondering how much "stuff" they get to keep when it's all over. Of course stuff like the air conditioner stays at the property, but what about the cars, laptops, phones etc?

The room they need to have done in a week really only needed a good clean, paint & furnish. Hardly a challenge.

The room they need to have done in a week really only needed a good clean, paint & furnish. Hardly a challenge.

looked like it on the surface - but walls needed rendering/plastering, floors sanded, frame around the window, light fittings etc.

granted it will probably be the easiest room, but can understand starting with that as 3 out of the 4 couples have never done a reno before! ease them in.

the budget isn't real big either - most of it is made up of furniture/kitchen vouchers, so not much cash to splash.

must admit, i looked at the place and thought "thank god it's not me at one room a week".

i thought the boys were on the right track with the combo study/guest room, but the glimpse of next weeks outcomes left me rather disappointed in their result.

Back