The challenge - high growth AND high rental yield

Originally posted by geoffw
Peter Spann, when asked about Margaret Lomas, said something like, "Do you have any idea of how many people that API magazine can get to write articles?

Do I take that in the positive or the negative? They can't get enough, therefore Margaret Lomas is better than nothing, or they have heaps of writers, and Margaret Lomas is one of the best?

And, I agree with XBenX here - it's what you know, not how many properties you have. This does not mean I agree or disagree with the Lomas article in API, just XBenX's general sentiment.

Do I take that in the positive or the negative? They can't get enough, therefore Margaret Lomas is better than nothing, or they have heaps of writers, and Margaret Lomas is one of the best?
If API peek in here, I'd better not answer
And, I agree with XBenX here - it's what you know, not how many properties you have. This does not mean I agree or disagree with the Lomas article in API, just XBenX's general sentiment.
Hehe, I'd expect that from someone with not many properties :D

But I do agree (I don't have many properties either)

Me thinks that Destiny must sponsor API magazine and thats why Lomas gets so much wasted article space. She has had the lead cover story for the last 4 editions. (true, I have every edition) Its a bit like money magazine who are sponsored by managed fund companies!!!I want to see stories buy real investors. I'll say it again, 7 properties is novice stuff. Its like Glenn McGrath writing a coaching manual on how to bat! I hope API reads these posts, but if someone has their email, I will complain for what its worth.

Re: Coorparoo

Hi Pippety

I lived in a unit off bennets rd, Camp Hill. I liked it there. I think the views of the city skyline are great. I also noticed the local thai retaurant, the italian restaurant, the bottle store and the up-market beauty salon were thriving along Bennets rd. I dont think there are too many flats etc. in this part??
What do you reckon???

Why stick around?

Hi Christine,

Yes, I have looked at various properties in my immediate area. But, I believe there are better gains to be had in other cities/towns around OZ. Why not at least try and get a 'piece of the action' - as Kiyosaki calls it. Isn't it rather vaunerable to put all your eggs in the same basket??!.

I have , by the way, spent a few months living in Frankston, and I sort of have the gut feeling that this is an up and comer, especially on the sea side. What do you think?.

Go Slack Bladder!!!!

Wow,
When I wrote the original post, I didn't think it would stir such emotion. My theory on why API has Margaret so prominently featured is because positive cashflow seems to be the buzz word(s) these days. Every man and his dog wants positive, positive, positive! And that's what sells magazines.
Margaret used to post at MSN, I think I'm the reason she no longer does. It says a lot about a person when they seem to relish the limelight so much (by writing huge articles and three books) but stop posting on a forum when someone asks some tough but valid questions.
She is aware of this forum (and will probably see this thread) but never posted here. My suspicion (this is strictly my opinion only) is that she wouldn't post here, because some forum members would be less than kind to her postings.
I mean, I own no properties, yet find it relatively easy to pick the inconsistencies in her articles, issue after issue. Although I will say that I thought the article in the most recent edition was more balanced than I thought it would be. It was still skewed in favour of positive, but what do you expect? Actually, come to think of it, why did they have her write the article? Getting Margaret to write an article about cashflow vs. growth is like asking an advisor who works for, say, the Commonwealth Bank whether they are independent. You're not really going to get a balanced view. But I guess with this subject, it's nigh on impossible to get a balanced view.
Another thing I found interesting is that she seems quite keen to distance herself from the property selling side of what she does. She claimed she does not sell/source the properties, an agent does this for her. Then someone who claimed to have purchased property from her mentioned something about her not disclosing commissions earned. As a financial advisor, she is actually breaking the law if this is true, as ASIC requires full disclosure to clients where a product is sold and a commission earned. I guess that's why she was trying to distance herself.

Mark
'no hat, some cattle'

Thanks all for a very amusing and enlightened forum, you see through the vaneer of API and those that right within it. Grasshopper when you can take the pebble from my hand...
I like the banter, the logic but most of all the enquiring minds, don't lose it. Keep up the good work.
I am currently working with a number of clients who are keen to be kept informed, I will certainly tell them of you.
Thanks Stephen

100% agree with you Mark. She has to be a major sponsor of API magazine. I hope they read these posts so that they can get real investors writing for them soon.

Hi everybody

I don't know of M. Lomas so I can't comment on her ability as a writer, but I can say that the example she used for CG was quite pathetic.

First of all the growth in inner city Sydney and Melbourne has been closer to 30% per year for the past 3 years than 12.5% and I have never heard of any agent charging more than 2% commission for a sale let alone 3.5%.

So consider a buy and sell in 3 years (which is what alot of shrewd investors have done) with these two percentages changed and you will get a totally different result.

Regards

Investor ;)

Originally posted by TOTS
Thanks all for a very amusing and enlightened forum, you see through the vaneer of API and those that right within it. Grasshopper when you can take the pebble from my hand...
I like the banter, the logic but most of all the enquiring minds, don't lose it. Keep up the good work.
I am currently working with a number of clients who are keen to be kept informed, I will certainly tell them of you.
Thanks Stephen

TOTS.........youre so ......ummmm......ZEN

Back