The end game

What do people do on Rooty Hill ??

For a start its not called Rooty Hill. Its pronounced Roodyill. :D

Skater: shush now and stop trying to convince others that life is not just about postcode. I dont have time for discussing western sydney, I am too busy blowing my centrelink payments on VB and fixing my smoke blowing VN commodore in between screaming at my kids and bashing my wife. I have already assimilated from my fall from grace.

You may not agree with china, and he may be trolling. However, Bayview and skater, it doesn't really matter what you think. You may be comfortable living in the West, but people like china (and myself included), would not. This has a significant impact on our purchasing decisions, including whether we would actually look in that area in the first place and how much we would pay if we were going to buy. Just like you think there is more than one view on the Western suburbs, the prevailing view of the purchasing/investing majority is what has greater sway than your own view. Calling people 'snobs' is no better than china calling people 'westies'.
The difference is you are stating that you would not like to live there and that is fine. You are not denigrating those that do live in the western suburbs, nor are you denigrating that lifestyle, nor are you suggesting only those forced to from lack of funds would choose to live there and nor are you suggesting children would not feel proud to have their friends come over to their house if they lived there.

China has done all of the above and is displaying the attitude of a snob.

Last edited:
You may not agree with china, and he may be trolling. However, Bayview and skater, it doesn't really matter what you think. You may be comfortable living in the West, but people like china (and myself included), would not. This has a significant impact on our purchasing decisions, including whether we would actually look in that area in the first place and how much we would pay if we were going to buy. Just like you think there is more than one view on the Western suburbs, the prevailing view of the purchasing/investing majority is what has greater sway than your own view. Calling people 'snobs' is no better than china calling people 'westies'.

Aaron, you are more than welcome to live where ever you chose to live. I have no issue with people who want to live in the heart of a City. I am not calling China, or yourself, for that matter, a snob for your choice of where you live.
What China said is
You want a place where your children will want to and be proud to invite their friends and where their friends' parents will be happy for them to visit. So a house does contribute to the quality of life of the adult owner and their children.
and it was placed in the context of the suburb in which they live in. To feel that you are a better class of person depending on the suburb you live in, and the possesions you own, rather than based on the character of the person, is what made me say that it was nothing more than snobbery.

The difference is you are stating that you would not like to live there and that is fine. You are not denigrating those that do live in the western suburbs, nor are you denigrating that lifestyle, nor are you suggesting only those forced to from lack of funds would choose to live there and nor are you suggesting children would not feel proud to have their friends come over to their house if they lived there.

China has done all of the above and is displaying the attitude of a snob.

Thankyou, well said.:D

I am too busy blowing my centrelink payments on VB and fixing my smoke blowing VN commodore in between screaming at my kids and bashing my wife. I have already assimilated from my fall from grace.

Oi, wen yr dun wit all dat, can yr come grab me. I'm skint. Gotta knock over the 7-11 so I can pick up some booze from the bottle O.

Oi, wen yr dun wit all dat, can yr come grab me. I'm skint. Gotta knock over the 7-11 so I can pick up some booze from the bottle O.

I would invite you for a coffee down the road at the cafe, but everyone knows we would really just be sniffing petrol and smoking winnie blues.

You may not agree with china, and he may be trolling. However, Bayview and skater, it doesn't really matter what you think. You may be comfortable living in the West, but people like china (and myself included), would not.
I actually am a similar person to him; I am materialistic and a capitalist snob.

But, I am realistic and know a lot about other things than just that.

The problem with him is that he assumes that all good things about living revolves around only the high end and nowhere else....like a kid can't be happy unless he's living in Vaucluse or Double Bay.

It's idiotic.

Note that we would be sniffing petrol while smoking, we like to live dangerously out here in the west. We have nothing to look forward to apart from a life of shattered dreams and jealousy of not being able to afford more than a cardboard box under the M4 overpass.

There are many, many people who don't have a lot of worldly possessions. They may live in old homes with old or cheap furnishings. That does not make them any less of a person and they should not feel humiliation at inviting people into their homes. I am, and always have been, more than happy for my children, and myself, to be welcomed into another's home. It doesn't matter what they have, so long as they are clean, honest, respectable people. Shame on you China, for your baseless snobbery.

Yep.

Do you have a bed? China has to sleep on a mattress on the floor so he can afford to live in his 'modest' 750k house.

The guys either trolling or something worse. stop wasting your time on him.

If you believe that, then I have some land in Sydney harbour I would like to sell you. ;)

I have a terrific quality of life and live in scuzzville Drugmana. It's quite easy to find a decent spot in our neck of the woods and avoid all the dope-heads and welfare crowd (until I get to the workshop :rolleyes::eek:). It is definitely not yer "postcode" suburb.

You don't need to live in a rizzy area to have a decent house either. Here's a progress of pic of our joint; not many houses similar close by, and don't care.

How would you know? Have you been there? It's a long way from Sydney.

I live 15 mins from it, and go there all the time.

I would not like to live there personally (far too busy) and there are both very ordinary sections and a few very exclusive bits that the above crowd flock to.

We know you're just trolling now, but I'll keep playing.

This statement is so inaccurate it's laughable. Kids could not care less about the surroundings they are in - as long as they are happy and have stimulating things to see and and do they are fine.

I grew up in only poorer areas, but my parents were always welcoming and allowed us to have our friends over. Consequently, our place was the local check-in place for our friends. There was always a kid/s coming or going from our houses.

The mornington peninsula is a very nice part of the world. Sorrento, Portsea and Rosebud are good places to spend summer holidays. But costly these days. Even humble beach shacks can cost close to a mil.

Bayview, your house is very nice. My point is that you should aim to buy the best PPOR that you can afford as it will give you and your loved ones much pleasure. A tin shed in Frankston or Mt. Druitt just doesnt do it.

My point is that you should aim to buy the best PPOR that you can afford as it will give you and your loved ones much pleasure. A tin shed in Frankston or Mt. Druitt just doesnt do it.

What if the best PPOR a low income family can afford is an ex commission 3 bedder in Mt Druitt? Does that preclude them and their loved ones from having pleasure in their home and lives?

The measure of a home isn't its address or how many alfresco eating areas and cinema rooms it has. Thats just bricks and mortar.

There was an article once about where the North Shore actually started.

The cartoon with the article showed a large well dressed lady with her nose very high up in the air- "The North Shore starts and ends with me".

I think this is where the current argument is up to.

Can we get back to the original topic, and not have it derailed by snobs/trolls?

There was an article once about where the North Shore actually started.

The cartoon with the article showed a large well dressed lady with her nose very high up in the air- "The North Shore starts and ends with me".

I think this is where the current argument is up to.

Can we get back to the original topic, and not have it derailed by snobs/trolls?

The original topic is about getting to the end game. My view is that the end game should consist of a good PPOR, that is either paid off or can easily be paid off from other assets/income stream. I think that the thread may be being derailed by reverse snobbery - Mt. Druitt dwellers justifying the joys of their Mt. Druitt subsistence and annoyed when anyone suggests that anything outside Mt. Druitt must be no good.

What if the best PPOR a low income family can afford is an ex commission 3 bedder in Mt Druitt? Does that preclude them and their loved ones from having pleasure in their home and lives?

The measure of a home isn't its address or how many alfresco eating areas and cinema rooms it has. Thats just bricks and mortar.

Very true but I would hope that our end game (as the OP calls it) does not consist of an ex commission 3 bedder in Mt. Druitt. We should aim slightly higher than that.

Do you have a bed? China has to sleep on a mattress on the floor so he can afford to live in his 'modest' 750k house.

So now you are looking down at those living in poverty without a bed. What would you say about people living under a bridge with a few pieces of cardboard.

This statement is so inaccurate it's laughable. Kids could not care less about the surroundings they are in - as long as they are happy and have stimulating things to see and and do they are fine.

I grew up in only poorer areas, but my parents were always welcoming and allowed us to have our friends over. Consequently, our place was the local check-in place for our friends. There was always a kid/s coming or going from our houses.

In my opinion and experience that is a very naive statement, for me it would have made a lot more sense to me if you replaced the could with a should (ie Kids should not care less about the surroundings they are in).

I can remember kids being teased simply because of the brand of shoes they wore or the type car their parents dropt them off in. If some kids are worried about their brand of shoes, then others are certainly going to be worried about the house they live in and how it compares to others.

From someone who grew up in a middle class suburb but went to an exclusive private high school in a upper class suburb I can definitely attest to the fact that kids care about their surroundings - i was teased simply because I came from a middle class suburb! Luckily it never bothered me but there were others in my situation that it definitely bothered and were too embarrassed to invite friends over on the weekend. Of course that's terrible and completely wrong but i think it's reality.

In my opinion and experience that is a very naive statement, for me it would have made a lot more sense to me if you replaced the could with a should (ie Kids should not care less about the surroundings they are in).

I can remember kids being teased simply because of the brand of shoes they wore or the type car their parents dropt them off in. If some kids are worried about their brand of shoes, then others are certainly going to be worried about the house they live in and how it compares to others.

From someone who grew up in a middle class suburb but went to an exclusive private high school in a upper class suburb I can definitely attest to the fact that kids care about their surroundings - i was teased simply because I came from a middle class suburb! Luckily it never bothered me but there were others in my situation that it definitely bothered and were too embarrassed to invite friends over on the weekend. Of course that's terrible and completely wrong but i think it's reality.

Thank you, very well said. Teenage kids are very class and brand conscious. Birds of a feather flock together and the reality is that many north shore kids and their parents would not wish to visit housing commission in Rooty Hill or Dandenong.

Thank you, very well said. Teenage kids are very class and brand conscious. Birds of a feather flock together and the reality is that many north shore kids and their parents would not wish to visit housing commission in Rooty Hill or Dandenong.

Most north shore kids are also spoilt brats with an overwhelming sense of entitlement.

Back