The Gold Coast

I'm a bit surprised that I have to start this thread. :)

Will the Comm Games put a floor under prices there? The locals sound excited.

I'm a bit surprised that I have to start this thread. :)

Will the Comm Games put a floor under prices there? The locals sound excited.

The locals in all places where the games have been get excited, then in the aftermath they realise what a complete waste of money it has all been.

The biggest factor why I think the commonwealth games will help the gold coast is because it is going to force the local council and state government to get their arses into action so that the infrastructure that was part of the bid will be completed by 2018. For example they will definitively need to complete the light rail by the games - whereas if bid was unsuccessful you could see this being blown out for 10 years +.

On another note maybe the Coomera Town Centre will get itself sorted as well and try to have an opening around the similar time to try and cash in on the tourism. I know there are scheduled events around the northern gold coast area with some infrastructure promised their too - something like a wrestling stadium - so if a brand new big shopping centre was done you could expect a steady flow through it. Especially being located on top of a train station.

I know at work there were several jobs on hold from both private and government bodies that were waiting for the decision of the commonwealth games. Now the Gold Coast has it, these will all go ahead.

It will be great for gold coast either way to have the light rail, new sporting facilities and the other infrastructure promised.

I don't know enough about the Australian market economics to comment on whether the Gold Coast market will crash once all is done. But I think the Commonwealth games will certainly be a key driver to new and improved infrastructure for the community.

But it certainly is great news for the Gold Coast for the next 8 years as some development will start to take place which means more jobs and more infrastructure.

Gold Coast thrives on tourism and has really taken a hit in recent years - so the announcement couldn't have come at a better time and should see an increase in tourists in the near future.

On a personally note, I am very excited, as living on the Gold Coast myself I will have the opportunity to enjoy the Games!

I think this is great news!!

Personally, I don't rate the Comm Games anywhere near the Olympics, but this is the shot in the arm the GC needs.

Infrastructure and other large investments will be fast tracked, and the much needed advertising/exposure will be a huge boost, espescially into the growing Indian tourist market.

A great day for the GC!!!!

whenever the Premier Appears on TV and looks like writing a cheque for some infrastructure on the coast we get very excited .

It doesnt happen very often !

t
arolf

The games cannot hurt

When we relocated here earlier this year from Melbourne and I heard they were bidding for the Commonwealth Games, my initial reaction was...."what a waste of time and money." We had them in Melbourne and really it was a low key affair, certainly after having attended events at the Sydney 2000 Olympics and being a volunteer there.

Upon reflection (and it didn't take long) in light of the struggling local economy and the (now) lack in sufficient infrastrucutre, I was hopeful that they would secure the games. The local tourism industry has languished over the past two years or so and the currency is not doing it any favours either.

For a place that really (aside from tourism) has limited alternate economic drivers (compared to big brother Brisbane up the road), over half a million people still call it home.......it's paradise with urban amenity. ;)

Others have pointed out the benefits of the games to infrastrusture initiatives and some momentum for more. I believe this is also a good thing. Whatever needs to be created and added to by way of venues will also remain for the community as well.

Will it create a further bubble and then a sudden "pop", I don't know? :confused: Property here is still soft, however with a paucity of cranes in the sky (aside from Parkwood at the Hospital), my guess would be that supply may come to equilibrium in a year (or maybe two). Prices then firm for their next rise and supply cannot meet demand. Harry Trig is already planning a new Meriton Tower for Southport where the current market is over-supplied, however his timing may actually be spot on. It takes time to bring big projects to fruition, so in three years or so he may be on the money with his timeline.

I agree, it is not the Olympics, however for a city of circa 600,000 people, it is a substantial enough event to bring exposure to those nations watching (some wealthy and able to travel; some not) and provide some boost to tourism. The marketing spin-offs of this shouldn't be ignored.

From a sentiment standpoint, I fell it can only augur well to have forward expectations of events like this. The mood could do with a little lift right now.

Personally, my family and I are glad they have secured these games. :)

"The Commonwealth Games is predicted to deliver $2 billion in economic benefits to the Gold Coast and about 30,000 jobs in the next seven years."

It is not too bad for a city of 600,000 people. What will happen in 2019 is everyone's guess.

The mood could do with a little lift right now.

Spot on Player,

Whatever gets people a bit more excited.

I think the games on the Gold Coast rather than Melbourne will be a lot different because:

- our public transport are LEAGUES behind Melbourne, I really wish they would fix SEQ's bus line, train lines and hopefully implement a solid light rail transit.
- and like you said they are improving or building new facilities that will remain for the community once the games are over. (I know Metricon stadium left 1 side of the grandstand empty - so that if the games were announced they would build a massive grandstand with much better facilities and capacity than the other sides (something like this - learnt at uni, but not entirely sure of details))
- we really need a lift for tourism, planning and development currently

People might argue that once its all done it was a waste of money - but personally I'd rather the government put millions into the Gold Coast and if only half makes a significant difference. Then I think this is a positive for the Gold Coast because the other alternative would be if we didn't get the games and the government puts in no $$.

GC will take anything at this point. With an IP on the coast, I did do a little fist pump when I heard the news. Not sure if it will make any material impact for the next few years.

Hopefully the QLD government, GCC Council, Tourism Australia, business and community organisations etc can leverage this over the ensuing years.

GC will take anything at this point. With an IP on the coast, I did do a little fist pump when I heard the news. Not sure if it will make any material impact for the next few years.

Hopefully the QLD government, GCC Council, Tourism Australia, business and community organisations etc can leverage this over the ensuing years.

If values get back anywhere near 2009 levels. Im out of there. The place is a JOKE, and its not funny:mad:

For a place that really (aside from tourism) has limited alternate economic drivers (compared to big brother Brisbane up the road), over half a million people still call it home.......it's paradise with urban amenity. ;)
I tend to think the lack in alternate economic drivers is the key to the Gold Coast's struggles.. A bit like Hollywood, a lot of young folk have come to make their fortunes but become very dissapointed when their $20/hr nightclub job doesn't support their dream lifestyle - I could be way off here, but think it could be a big factor in the crime rate.. along with the bikies and corruption.

I tend to agree with other posts that the games will give a great shot in the arm.. but will leave a nasty Surfers Paradise hangover when the party is gone.

It's a real shame (way back when) they didn't leave the penal settlement in Brisbane and set up the main CBD on the over the Gold Coast.. it's so much nicer!! and I could have a surf before work each morning :cool:

"The Commonwealth Games is predicted to deliver $2 billion in economic benefits to the Gold Coast and about 30,000 jobs in the next seven years."

It is not too bad for a city of 600,000 people. What will happen in 2019 is everyone's guess.

Quite right, seven years is a significant amount of time, and it is very difficult to judge what the economy will do up until then. There is no doubt however, that if and when the Comonwealth Games go ahead, we will see good growth throughout the Gold Coast.

Hi Player, so you took the plunge and shifted up there. Glad you like the gc. We absolutely love it and if it wasnt for the gfc we would still be there in our lovely townhouse. Cant tell you how we miss it, the lovely weather, all the things to do, the lovely parrots and lorikeets. There was a massive flower tree outside my 2nd storey window where I used to paint and the lorikeets would be in the tree not 600mm from me. Swimming in the lagoon at Labrador, walking along the boardwalk. You have set me right off now. So much to do, free tai chi on the beach, council run yoga classes and did I mention the weather. Oh well, such is life, love it and move on. (PS I was Celica then)

From what i can see the GC has been absolutely hammered price wise. My benchmark (2br units on the beach side of the hwy are down app. 30%)

Back