The great Oz property crash of 2005.

There's no such thing as universally applicable advice. You aim it as young people who have no financial clue, then that advice probably isn't useful for others.

Any good investor should have a market crash plan. How would you deal with it? How would you manage a 20%-50% drop in prices? Most importantly how would you profit from a crash? Good investors make a lot of money in a downturn!
Sure, we'll buy more properties and retire early but IMO a large downturn isn't coming anytime soon.
It didn't come a few years back when we were paying 10% interest so its unlikely that it will come now.

Sorry James GG as I know u r a fan but Felixter is on the money.

This guy is just dangerous and I have met several people who stayed out of the market in Sydney in 2007 because of his "advice" and basically got wiped out in the stockmarket during GFC.

It is one thing to have some knowledge and make some informed comments but some of his statements simply prove he has no idea whatsoever on property and should not talk about it.

His completely misguided and misinformed comments on interest only loans last year further re-inforced his ignorance and this article is a clinker, will be keeping that on file for sure.

Good work Innerwestie

From what I've read on Scott's blogs he only recommends shares as a long term investment (7-10 years). If you had invested in an index fund for example you would have experienced a massive rebound after the GFC and made you money back + some?

Sure, we'll buy more properties and retire early but IMO a large downturn isn't coming anytime soon.
It didn't come a few years back when we were paying 10% interest so its unlikely that it will come now.

I didn't say there was going to be a big crash soon, I'm just saying it doesn't hurt to consider the possibility and have a plan for when it does happen! Whether it happens tomorrow or in 50 years all markets will have a downturn at some point! You need to make sure you can get through that downturn or you will be forced to sell at an unfavourable time!

Australians are avid investors with property and stocks being very popular.

We probably have a slightly higher property investor percentage than most other Countries, but as for stocks....I reckon most Aussies are merely gamblers, who have found stocks to gamble on instead of the usual gallopers and dishlickers, pokies and Tatts.

when australia's mining boom ends - the economy, jobs, and property prices will go down... when and how this happens is anybody's guess... china and india's consumption of our natural resources will slow at some point. i think scott pape is right - the property market will eventually crash.

China and india buy our natural resources then send then straight back as building materials, cars etc etc, its a never ending consumer cycle that won't end in the near future. The mining boom is just gathering momentum.....

From what I've read on Scott's blogs he only recommends shares as a long term investment (7-10 years). If you had invested in an index fund for example you would have experienced a massive rebound after the GFC and made you money back + some?

Not really... still a long way down from the peak. But instead if you had bought a house, you'd be up. Anyone can make whatever they want of the situation... if your mindset is fixed, it's fixed.

As some guy said (was it Churchill?), the best thing people can agree on is that they won't agree on anything.

Scott Pape is like everything else in the media these days - sensationalist.

I think he was a good influence on young people early in his media career, but unfortunately in the hunt for ratings has now become the "Today Tonight" of finance. Very little of what he says is helpful, mostly generic.

Just another pretty face on the idiot box with an inflated opionion of himself making simplistic comments in the hope of feeding his young loyal disciples on his brand of fast food finance.

He is better at stopping people from getting into massive financial difficulties, rather than showing people how to make money.

Both have their merits, he just needs to stick to what he knows instead of trying to appeal to everyone.

I don't see anything wrong with that article (except for that quote "get out of the market now").
That's a mammoth wrong.

He doesn't say specifically when a crash will happen.
"Get out now" means he expected an imminent crash.

Bzzzzzt. Massive fail there Scotty boy.

I think much of what he wrote is still relevant now.
Like these doomsayers who dribble year in year out that there will be crash. One day they will be right. And on that day when they are saying "Har Har Har, I told you so" (with a little Roscoe P. Coltrane laugh) many people would have made sufficient gains over previous years when it didn't crash and will comfortably ride the storm.

I'm not saying don't invest in property,
Then I'm not sure why you're backing Scott Pape? He's masquerading as a guy in the know. He didn't just get a prediction a little out, he got it wrong by a mile.
He's a charlatan.

There are a bunch of things that I foresee are going to be huge challenges for Australia in the future. I think we will see a currency crisis overseas and the possibility of a depression in international markets, the strength of the Aussie dollar will slow demand for exports hurting Australian businesses and reducing the number of international students coming to Australia (education being the biggest exports for Melb and Syd!) and then there is the end of the resources boom. I think it’s really important to be aware of these things instead of just laughing at articles which talk about a property crash.
Thanks for your input Scott.

Please go ahead and pluck some further anomalies from other areas around Australia to further prove your moot point.

3/11 Moore Street, WEST GOSFORD NSW 2250
21/12/2007 Government Notified Sale (Normal Sale) Residence $330,000
12/08/2005 Government Notified Sale (Normal Sale) Residence $460,000

Just as an example;

If I invested $40,000 in the stock market and the market dropped by 50% I'd lose $20,000.

If I invested $40,000 and borrowed $360,000 to invest in a $400,000 property and the real estate market dropped by 50% I'd lose $200,000.

Most people who invest in stocks understand that CFDs are one of the riskiest ways you can trade because the leverage increases your gains and your losses. I think sometimes people forget how leveraging in the property market increases our risk and our exposure to losses. For whatever reason people consider it as a much safer investment. I suppose it's because property has performed so well in Australia in recent history.

I still think understanding the impact of a property crash is very important. I'm confused as to why people here disagree with what I'm saying? I think what I'm saying is very reasonable.

He is better at stopping people from getting into massive financial difficulties, rather than showing people how to make money.

Both have their merits, he just needs to stick to what he knows instead of trying to appeal to everyone.

Hear, hear!

I read his Herald-Sun column most weeks. I wouldn't say it includes 'bad' advice, but it's not all 'good' advice.

I could probably sum up his doctrine in a few bullets:
  • Minimise consumer (particularly credit card) debt. If you have it, pay it off, if you don't have it, don't get it
  • Put aside money into an index fund*
  • Don't buy property, unless you REALLY feel the need to buy your own place to live in - I'll look down my nose at you, but we all have our weaknesses
  • Put money into super (don't worry if you don't understand that super is an investment environment and not an investment in itself - when you retire you might understand, and then it's too late, and you'll thank me)

*This is not BAD advice, especially for those who have no thoughts or ideas on how or where to invest.

Lowest common denominator stuff - vanilla investing... what can one expect from Herald-Sun? :p

3/11 Moore Street, WEST GOSFORD NSW 2250
21/12/2007 Government Notified Sale (Normal Sale) Residence $330,000
12/08/2005 Government Notified Sale (Normal Sale) Residence $460,000

Ok I only really have knowledge on the Melbourne property market. I can say that the Melbourne property market has not crashed from 2005 till today. You may find a few properties in Melbourne that sold for less later on than what it was bought for in 2005, however as a whole the Melbourne market has gone up. A few examples of prices going down is not an example of a crash, when most of the market has gone up.

Ok I only really have knowledge on the Melbourne property market. ........... A few examples of prices going down is not an example of a crash, when most of the market has gone up.

How do you know most of the market has gone up when you only know Melb.? My suburb in Townsville, according to RP Data, has had a cumulative 2% rise in 4 years. Not enough to get out of bed for. :)

I don't see anything wrong with that article (except for that quote "get out of the market now"). He doesn't say specifically when a crash will happen. I think much of what he wrote is still relevant now.

There are plenty of people out there who are investing in property wisely and making a lot of money.

But at the same time there are a huge proportion of people in Australia who think their houses are assets when they're really a consumption item. I think many people over-invest in their homes because of this. Many young Australians, including me, have never seen a property crash in this country. We have never experienced a rainy day so it's hard to imagine that it could happen, but we all know that the property market is cyclical and a crash is going to happen at some point in the future. History tells us that much! Will it happen next year or in 50 years time, who knows?

All I know for sure is that currently we have people who aren't sophisticated investors who are investing in an incredibly risky way;
1: Leveraging up to 95% LVR
2: Putting all their eggs in one basket (not diversifying)
3: Speculating on capital growth by negative gearing (capital growth alone is a much riskier strategy than income + capital gains)
4: No deposit with the help of the FHOG
5: The mindset that a crash is impossible and that if you fall on hard times the worst case scenario is that you sell at a profit
6: Many home buyers are under mortgage stress or would be under mortgage stress if interest rates went up
7: Buying off the plan to get the FHOG
8: Buying at a time when interest rates are very low

I'm not sure if a crash is going to happen soon, but I am certain that if it did happen many people would be well and truly screwed because they haven't planned for the possibility of it.

I'm not saying don't invest in property, I'm just saying save a deposit, have a cash buffer, don't rush in, do your research, get income protection/life insurance, understand the difference between consumption and investment and don't just assume property prices are going to go up forever! If a crash does happen it’s going to hit a few areas very hard (the mortgage belt areas & off the plan apartments).

There are a bunch of things that I foresee are going to be huge challenges for Australia in the future. I think we will see a currency crisis overseas and the possibility of a depression in international markets, the strength of the Aussie dollar will slow demand for exports hurting Australian businesses and reducing the number of international students coming to Australia (education being the biggest exports for Melb and Syd!) and then there is the end of the resources boom. I think it’s really important to be aware of these things instead of just laughing at articles which talk about a property crash.

Any good investor should have a market crash plan. How would you deal with it? How would you manage a 20%-50% drop in prices? Most importantly how would you profit from a crash? Good investors make a lot of money in a downturn!

Good post - this makes a lot of sense to me. The high AUD is causing problems with the international student market and that is obvious in Melbourne at the moment.

Having buffers in place is essential - low LVR's are also a wise move at this time.

Credit is tightening - people are being surprised at being turned back for credit. Loan assessors are looking back on people's credit habits -and they are looking for reasons to decline loans - like going back as much as 4-5 yrs in a person's finances. One slight blemish on the file means no loan.

Restricting credit in this way means that house prices will have to drop somewhat.

Regards Jason.

Hi Jingo,

I agree about the international investors investing less due to the high $A....but domestic demand and immigration still has things moving, albeit at a much slower rate than early 2010.

Yes, LVRs are always prudent.....my goal is to keep it under 40%.

On the credit side I think things are definitely loosening. Most of Big 4 banks now offer 95% plus LMI (takes it to 97%) loans. Though I agree the level of scrutiny and checking on serviceability is tighter.

Over the next 6 months we should see prices comeback a bit or stabilise in most areas.

However, due the local disasters and world events (Libyan/Middle East crisis and the Japan Tsunami) we should see the RBA look to make a downward move on rates in the next 6 months or so. My prediction is Sept/Oct this year.

Good post - this makes a lot of sense to me. The high AUD is causing problems with the international student market and that is obvious in Melbourne at the moment.

Having buffers in place is essential - low LVR's are also a wise move at this time.

Credit is tightening - people are being surprised at being turned back for credit. Loan assessors are looking back on people's credit habits -and they are looking for reasons to decline loans - like going back as much as 4-5 yrs in a person's finances. One slight blemish on the file means no loan.

Restricting credit in this way means that house prices will have to drop somewhat.

Regards Jason.

Back