The King of Pop is dead. MJ dies age 50.

sorry - i just dont understand why celebrities get treated like royalty.

i mean, next thing there'll be calls for a state funeral.

I think that you need to discriminate between celebrities who in their own right, made a significant contribution to the world, whether that be literary, music, politics or whatever, versus the twits who appear in the media just because....eg the Paris Hiltons of the world.

Heard the other day that the reason that the media is totally jammed full of 'what the celebrities are doing with their lunch box today' kind of stories is that they are cheap to buy the story and photographs. Quality stories and pix are very expensive, so they are not used as often.

And I just hate it when the media says stuff like 'people are clamouring to read about ABC' - no we arent, you media just keep ramming it down our throats.

marg4000 - how can u say that? i'm sure those children would do anything in the world to have their father back.
I also think it's quite smart to make them wear face scarves...now if they want they can choos eto leda normal lives and remain anonymous. No one will know they're MJ's kids if they were on the streets. Infact, they ahve probably been living normal life and only wear the mask when out in public with MJ.

I love MJ..love his music..lots of good childhood memories. I also line up hours for tickets to his tour in Adelaide. Brilliants..so thankful I got the chance to go.

what saddens me is that ppl can't just leave him alone even for 1 day...FFS he just died..could it wait for a week. Even if you don't like him, at least out of respect for those that do and are still grieving over the news. I still can't believe it. There will never be another like him.

the jokes here are so distateful and disrespectful.

he was no pedo, never convicted..but the mother sure must be living a life of luxury and smiling after such a huge settlement. If I was the mum, I would want justice and not in $$ terms.

Well I have been upset about it all day and I think part of the reason some of us feel it is that another little piece of our youth has gone.

Another great talent has passed, now he can get together with Freddie Mercury and they can finish some of the work they were doing back in the day - maybe he can catch up with Jim Morrison too!

R.I.P Michael

I wouldn't call him broke - his assets still outweighed his debts, but true he was spending quicker than he was earning. The rights that he owns to his own songs plus that of The Beatles are estimated to be worth over $1B. Also sad to say, but now that's he's passed - the expenses he was racking up will fall dramatically and the royalty income going to his estate will likely start whacking it's way through the debt.

I never noticed that this was poor form on SS. Please spread the word.

On the topic: He annoyed me when alive and is still doing so today. If there was a measure TalentXDecency, I drink with better every day.

Hey Sun, forum posts should not attack people personally, although the arguments they use can be 'attacked.' Unfortunately some, even on this thread, cant seem to help themselves from belittling other posters personally, and that includes sending nasty PM's. Both the personal attacks and the nasty PM's are both reportable to the mods and they will act. Like 'attack the ball not the man' kind of stuff.

About the decency, seriously, the media never say anything good about people, it is always the gutter stuff.

Money - there will be Insurance Policies for the kids. How can anyone truly know Michael's financial affairs and debts so quickly. And yes Steve, the Royalties will be huge. Every tribute show to Michael will bring in the $$ and these will be massive. And I suspect a movie about him, with all the music - well, that would last too long but at least the most brilliant. Well, perhaps that would take too long too.

I was 15 when Michael sang Ben, I grew up with him. Sparky, I agree, it is a loss of another part of one's growing up. Gosh, imagine Michael and Mercury in heaven together....sigh.

And yes Steve, the Royalties will be huge. Every tribute show to Michael will bring in the $$ and these will be massive. And I suspect a movie about him, with all the music - well, that would last too long but at least the most brilliant. Well, perhaps that would take too long too.

Tribute shows, increased sales of old albums, new 'best of' albums, digital remaster of songs that were recorded but never actually made it onto an album, continuing royalties from Beatles, movie deal (give it a few years for something decent - not the crappy telemovies that will pop up in 6 months), tours of Neverland (although could be the creditors who get the cash from that one), merchandising, the list goes on. Pretty much the same way I'd say Elvis' estate still brings in the revenue.

I was 15 when Michael sang Ben
I was 12 or 13, and it was years before I learnt it was about his pet mouse.

And it looks like that was a continuing theme of his youth. From the song Ben:

With a friend to call my own
I'll never be alone
And from this article:

he complained of feeling alone -- almost abandoned. He was 23.

When I asked why he didn't live on his own like his brothers rather than at his parents' house, he said, "Oh, no, I think I'd die on my own. I'd be so lonely. Even at home, I'm lonely. I sit in my room and sometimes cry. It is so hard to make friends, and there are some things you can't talk to your parents or family about. I sometimes walk around the neighborhood at night, just hoping to find someone to talk to. But I just end up coming home."
GP

GP -that article made me cry. he lead such a sad life but eventhough he was a recluse in thelater years, i think he was happy coz of his children. RIP

I even named one of my children after that song. I think it was a rat! It was like he knew what his issues were when he was so young. A tragedy for him personally, isnt it, yet if it was any different, then we might not have had the music!

There is a great link on the ASF forum to his song about 'Lost Childhood - can you find my childhood' - check out youtube, I think it is there too. It explains so much. And is just so sad.

Ebay is going nuts!

They are flogging boatloads of vinyl funnily enough and there are now 66 pages of listings for MJ stuff. I got on there at 7.30am yesterday, (I think there were about 6 pages then) after watching the breaking news as I never got around to buying Thriller. I got the 25th anniversary edition with zombie cover including 48 page booklet and DVD brand new for $27, some of the same item now has bids around $90 with lots of time still to go. Check it out:

http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&...nkw=michael+jackson&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I think he is about to become the richest dead person in musical history!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol School Skata
It was not about his pet, it was recorded for a 1972 film called Ben about rats.

GPWell I was close :rolleyes: - about a pet rat, not his pet mouse.

GP

I am a couple of decades older but it was a long time before I knew he was singing to a RAT. But I plead indifference.

I saw some old clips of him - off the wall days. He was pretty cute then. so sad he had to do all that weird plastic surgery. Reinforces how critical your childhood years are for the formation of your personality and self identity. One weird guy but such a great talent.

Back