The most tax-effective investment vehicle outside super?

Given the other investment vehicles available I cannot see how these are attractive. The company offering the insurance bond still pays 30% tax you just dont need to declare anything in your tax return. I was looking for something with a truly low effective rate.

They can be tax effective if you are on a higher than 30% tax rate but then negative gearing will have the same impact. The time frames for withdrawal are too long. Not something I've ever been interested in or ever will be.

They would be good for a college fund for a child/grandchild. I think as an active investor having so much cash locked in for 10 years isn't helpful.

high fees, terrible returns. pass.
if i could structure one myself with the assets i chose then yes,but that cant happen
agree its a tax effective vehicle in some circumstances after everything else is first utilised

I would have said testamentary trust before the changes to minor trust distribution rules. For now, I'll have to go with discretionary trusts but as with all structuring advice, it will be particular to a person's circumstances.

I would have said testamentary trust before the changes to minor trust distribution rules. For now, I'll have to go with discretionary trusts but as with all structuring advice, it will be particular to a person's circumstances.

Hi Mry,

What has changed with the minor distribution rules? I think income received by a minor from a will or a testamentary trust is still excepted trust income isn't it? s102AG 1936 Act - so a minor could receive up to $16,000 pa from a testamentary trust tax free.

only problem is you need someone to cark it...

Yes I am also confused. I am not aware of any changes to distribution to minors made out of a testamentary trust.

As Terry says S102AG(2)(d)(i) allows minor beneficaries to be taxed at normal adult rates on excepted trust income distributed to them. This means that minor beneficiaries are not taxed at the penalty rates that generally apply. Cannot see how the low income offset changes are going to affect S102AG but maybe something I haven't read yet.

AMP article seems to confirm that the changes to LITO wont affect distributions from testamentary trusts http://www.ampcapital.com.au/research-centre/tapin/2011-June-1_TapIn.pdf?DIRECT

Last edited:
My apologies guys, too many holidays. Testamentary trusts allow minor to be taxed at adult rates, but as someone said earlier, someone has to die first.

Back