The saddest photo taken from space

Alexander Gerst took this photo last week from the International Space Station as it flew over the Gaza Strip which is 41km long x 6-12km wide.

"If we ever will be visited by another species from somewhere in the universe, how would we explain to them what they might see as the very first thing when they look at our planet? How would we explain to them the way we humans treat not only each other but also our fragile blue planet, the only home we have? I do not have an answer for that," Gerst stated in his blog.

gaza-fighting-seen-from-space.jpg

It looks like the photo shows nothing other than Gaza at night but this extract from the Blog states why he posted it:

"On the day that I took this photo, I floated into the Cupola window module because I suddenly noticed something that I had never seen before. There were streaks of light going forth and back over a dark Earth, occasionally lit up by orange fireballs. I took my camera and took a few photos before I finally realized what I just saw, and where we just flew past. Even though the photo itself does not contain any explosions, I could see them occur several times."

It looks like the photo shows nothing other than Gaza at night but this extract from the Blog states why he posted it:

"On the day that I took this photo, I floated into the Cupola window module because I suddenly noticed something that I had never seen before. There were streaks of light going forth and back over a dark Earth, occasionally lit up by orange fireballs. I took my camera and took a few photos before I finally realized what I just saw, and where we just flew past. Even though the photo itself does not contain any explosions, I could see them occur several times."

So was it Palestinians lauching rockets into Israel from school grounds, or Israel firing back rockets into school grounds?

See ya's.

So was it Palestinians lauching rockets into Israel from school grounds, or Israel firing back rockets into school grounds.

There were streaks of light going forth and back over a dark Earth, occasionally lit up by orange fireballs

Both I reckon and I understand where your coming from as neither of them can claim the moral high ground even though they try every time I see reports on the TV IMHO.:(:(:(

I'm with you, Dex. Stop the killing in Gaza. Gaza is a walled city. Civilians, women, children, the elderly, the sick and maimed have nowhere to run. They are running out of food, water, medicine, supplies...Nowhere is safe in Gaza. They can be bombed anywhere, anytime. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! 1600 dead, amongst them,

"At least 296 children have been killed in the Gaza Strip since the operation began until 11 A.M. on Saturday, about 30% of the operation's fatalities, AFP cites UNICEF as stating.

Of these, 187 are boys and 109 are girls, with at least 203 under the age of 12, Unicef says". (Haaretz)

I'm sure they would be either more intelligent or intelligent beings if they have the capabilities of visiting us

So no doubt, they would probably be shaking their heads saying "what a bunch of brainless idiots, let them sort it out themselves"

So was it Palestinians lauching rockets into Israel from school grounds, or Israel firing back rockets into school grounds?

The Israeli army are bombing schools filled with people trying to flee violence.
They were warned 17 times that thousands of civilians were sheltering inside but they still bombed it :confused:

I'm with you, Dex. Stop the killing in Gaza. Gaza is a walled city. Civilians, women, children, the elderly, the sick and maimed have nowhere to run. They are running out of food, water, medicine, supplies...Nowhere is safe in Gaza. They can be bombed anywhere, anytime. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! 1600 dead, amongst them,

"At least 296 children have been killed in the Gaza Strip since the operation began until 11 A.M. on Saturday, about 30% of the operation's fatalities, AFP cites UNICEF as stating.

Of these, 187 are boys and 109 are girls, with at least 203 under the age of 12, Unicef says". (Haaretz)

Too right BG, it's amazing this massacre is going on and no-one is intervening.
The Palestinians have no supplies and their hospitals are at breaking point.

They have no Army, Navy or Air Force.
They're treated like animals in this open air prison and kept in ghettos completely isolated from the rest of the world while bombed from above. It's not a war but a genocide. A massacre is a better description with the weapons the Israelis are using on them.

New photo from Gaza looks like actual hell on earth.

H0NSLBk.jpg

Man what a civilized world we live in :rolleyes:

Is there oil over there?US would be in a heartbeat.

I don't get how the world let's this **** roll on.

That said though they are waiting on a mythical person called god,that shall return soon?

Stupid religion.

Cheers Spades.

Ps.Glad i don't watch TV.

I'm with you guys. I definitely don't support these repeated attacks and aggression and don't like the assumption that we automatically support a particular side.
The whole thing is a mess.

The Israeli army are bombing schools filled with people trying to flee violence.
They were warned 17 times that thousands of civilians were sheltering inside but they still bombed it :confused:

Palestinians were launching rockets from these very schools then warning Israel not to bomb them...are you still confused?

They put these innocent people in the line of fire on purpose.

What do you expect Israel to do?

Palestinians were launching rockets from these very schools then warning Israel not to bomb them...are you still confused?

Agree.

Except that it is Hamas in particular, and not the Palestinians in general, shooting the rockets. Hamas isn't even supported by Egypt.

This round of fighting started after some Israelis were murdered.

It was not the nation doing this - it was randoms.
And I certainly don't support Israel's retaliation.
It's a pretty comfortable, blind position for an Australian to take i.e. falling in line with a political agenda. It's an assumption to think that Australians who've travelled to these places and know people from these places would support this.
I don't like being told what to think or feel because it suits someone else's rationale.

Reactions: dex

Fence, no rockets from Hamas were fired from the Beit Hanoun school that was a designated UN shelter for 3,300 civilians and children. Yet they were hit by an Israeli artillery strike in the early hours of the morning that killed 20 and wounded a hundred others.

""Outrageous" and "unjustifiable." Those were the words used by the United Nations to condemn Israel after at least 20 Palestinian civilians died when a U.N. shelter was bombed in Gaza Wednesday. Many of the dead were children who were sleeping. U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said all available evidence points to Israel being behind the attack. It was the sixth time a U.N. shelter had been bombed since the Israeli offensive in Gaza began 24 days ago. The U.N. said it had given the coordinates of the shelter to the Israeli military 17 times prior to the attack."

http://www.democracynow.org/2014/7/31/enough_blood_has_been_spilled_israel

I don't believe Israel is justified either. Both sides are doing the wrong thing. Both believe they are doing it for the right reasons. And each side in doing so is making it worse.

Back