The saddest photo taken from space

I am not going anywhere near this topic.

To much he said/she said.

Far to complicated for outsiders to really understand.

At the end of the day the only resolution will be when both parties are prepared to genuinely accept a path to piece. Not the media type, public statements. But in their hearts.

I am not knowledgeable, nor intelligent enough to comment further

Why can't the Arab world and Israel stop fighting each other and just live in peace? Ever since 1948 when Israel was created, the Arab world (Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Palestine) all wanted to destroy Israel. What's the point? Just live in peace as neighbours!

Then there was the 6 day war where Egypt ganged up with Syria and Palestine to attack Israel, but Israel responded with a pre-empted attack on their airbase and defeated them. Israel told Jordan King not to attack, but Jordan attacked as well and was defeated.

There is no holy war. Every war is killing God's children!

the worst thing is that if there was universal peace and we could find more cures for horrible diseases, humans are so stupid they would just blow the population out until it did become a problem.... 10, 12 , 14 billion+

the reality is the world is over populated - war and disease is the handbrake on excessive resource exploitation

I don't pay a lot of attention to this who Gaza strip fiasco...never really have.

It's been going on as long as I can remember and it tends to become just background noise in the end, sadly.

But I did catch a bit of it on the news yesterday and noticed just how small the area in question is....

I cannot believe how such a ridiculous and disgraceful war can go on for sooo long over a cricket pitch.

Incidentally; I mentioned in another thread how the Israelis send out plenty of warning about their air strikes so civilians can evacuate the area...I saw footage last night showing a Palestinian guy addressing their people on camera to tell them to ignore all the Israeli pamphlets and warnings...

What sort of person/people would do such a thing; basically asking their folks to get killed?

It's insanity.

At the end of the day the only resolution will be when both parties are prepared to genuinely accept a path to piece. Not the media type, public statements. But in their hearts.
It goes far deeper than a plot of land; there is deep-seated racism and religious hatred, and they are brainwashing their children to continue the insanity.

The worst part of it is now it is becoming more vocal in our Country. It's only a matter of time before it starts up here, I'm afraid.

The size of the tunnels astound me. They are thick concrete and cost $10m to build. How did this happen and where did the money come from?

I am currently in the USA and the TV stations here have spent a lot of time going in to the tunnels with cameras, something I had not seen at home.

The leader of Hamas was on the TV here this morning, he apparently lives in Qatar. He said for safety sake?

I don't want to get into the rights and wrongs of the war there..and war it is...but the funding for all this is coming from somewhere

If the funding was stopped would there be more chance of a settlement? On both sides I mean

Chris

The size of the tunnels astound me. They are thick concrete and cost $10m to build. How did this happen and where did the money come from?

I am currently in the USA and the TV stations here have spent a lot of time going in to the tunnels with cameras, something I had not seen at home.

The leader of Hamas was on the TV here this morning, he apparently lives in Qatar. He said for safety sake?

I don't want to get into the rights and wrongs of the war there..and war it is...but the funding for all this is coming from somewhere

If the funding was stopped would there be more chance of a settlement? On both sides I mean

Chris

Hamas is funded by

Qatar,Saudia Arabia,Turkey.

Israel / Palestine....

No well informed opinion to add on that one.

Though my wife lived on a Kibbutz in Israel in the 1990's (and during that time was a war correspondent for the NZ Herald). She speaks very highly of the Israelis who (she says) always treated her very well. Got some pictures of her with some young Israeli men taken during their mandatory army service. The guns they're carrying would make Rambo look like a weed. She tells me that she was repeatedly warned that if she ever heard someone yell "Allāhu Akbar!" - to immediately take cover.

It is the last thing Palestinian suicide bombers say before they... :eek:

"If we ever will be visited by another species from somewhere in the universe, how would we explain to them what they might see as the very first thing when they look at our planet? How would we explain to them the way we humans treat not only each other but also our fragile blue planet, the only home we have? I do not have an answer for that," ~ Alexander Gerst

The Pale Blue Dot

In the right hand streak of light - about 1/2 way down - that pale blue dot - that's Earth.

Image courtesy of Voyager 1, taken in 1990 from a distance of ~6 billion km's.

Pale_Blue_Dot.png

From this distant vantage point, the Earth might not seem of any particular interest. But for us, it's different. Consider again that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there - on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity - in all this vastness - there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known, so far, to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment, the Earth is where we make our stand. It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

~ Carl Sagan

Last edited:
Incidentally; I mentioned in another thread how the Israelis send out plenty of warning about their air strikes so civilians can evacuate the area...I saw footage last night showing a Palestinian guy addressing their people on camera to tell them to ignore all the Israeli pamphlets and warnings...
Not generally true, most strikes are without warning and designed to kill civilians and inflict fear. Many Israeli strikes are specifically targeting humanitarian centres and utilities (electricity, water, shelters).

The biggest problem is not support for hamas, but the US support of Israel.
A coordinated boycott of Israel is probably the best way forward.

The biggest problem is not support for hamas, but the US support of Israel.
A coordinated boycott of Israel is probably the best way forward.

It's a pity a peaceful solution can't be found? The Jews have always been an overachieving bunch. So they get dumped into a desert nearly 70 years ago and build a prosperous thriving 1st world country from nothing? Israel also deserves to exist and they will defend themselves, as would anyone.

See ya's.

I don't believe Israel is justified either. Both sides are doing the wrong thing. Both believe they are doing it for the right reasons. And each side in doing so is making it worse.

Well summed up.

If ever there was a case for resettling civilians in Australia, I reckon this is it. Leave the crazies to their fighting, and let those who want to work toward a peaceful and prosperous life come here.

Not generally true, most strikes are without warning and designed to kill civilians and inflict fear. Many Israeli strikes are specifically targeting humanitarian centres and utilities (electricity, water, shelters).
Do you honestly believe that?

I cannot imagine Israel targeting civilians.

They are also an ally of the USA; I can't imagine the USA )despite it's faults too) being mates with any Country which openly allegedly displayed that sort of behaviour.

All the info I hear is that they are targeting known Hamas rocket launch sites and strongholds - which are located in schools and Churches etc, or near them - intentionally to have a "human shield".

Well summed up.

If ever there was a case for resettling civilians in Australia, I reckon this is it. Leave the crazies to their fighting, and let those who want to work toward a peaceful and prosperous life come here.
How do you separate the crazies from the normal/decent folk?

They won't be openly putting their hands up to let us know...many are already here in Aus, unfortunately, and they pass the lunacy on to their kids..

I saw one fine gent absolutely berating a Jewish reporter at one of the Gaza protests in Sydney on the teev last night...the hatred for him as a Jew, and the level of "in your face" he displayed towards the reporter on camera was embarassing...a fine Australian I don't think.

Someone here in Aus will die because of an allegiance to one of these two Countries - and it will happen soon.

They are also an ally of the USA; I can't imagine the USA )despite it's faults too) being mates with any Country which openly allegedly displayed that sort of behaviour.

Really? Considering how many tin pot dictatorships and crazies the US has aligned itself throughout history to best cover their interests?

There is a large Jewish lobby in the US coupled with Israel promoting pro-US interests in the region, I think they're quite happy to look away from a lot of issues.

A lot of the tunnels have been around for years, and were used to smuggle Israeli banned goods into the Palestinian territories. Here's a list of some of the nefarious things banned:

cement, glass, steel, bitumen, wood, paint, doors, plastic pipes, metal pipes, metal reinforcement rods, aggregate, generators, high voltage cables and wooden telegraph poles, fuel from 2008-2010, fishing ropes and rods, ginger and chocolate, hatcheries, Batteries for hearing aids, wheelchairs etc.

Since 2010, the current list of restricted goods which require approval from Israel for importation:

Portland cement and lime (in bulk, bags or barrels)
Natural and Quarry aggregates and all varieties of gravel
Ready concrete
Precast concrete elements and products
Steel elements and/or construction products
Iron for foundations and columns, at any diameter (including wielded steel nets)
Steel cables of any width
Forms for construction elements (plastics or galvanized iron)
Industrialized forms for casting concrete
Plastic or composite beams more than 4 mm thick
Thermal isolation materials and products
Blocs (at any width) - Concrete; Silicate; Ytong or its equivalent; or gypsum
Materials and products for sealing structures
Asphalt and its components (Bitumen, emulsion) in aggregate or packaged
Steel elements or framing products for construction
Cast concrete elements and products for drainage over 1 m in diameter
Precast units and sea-borne containers
Vehicles, excluding private cars and including 4X4 vehicles and other categories of motor vehicles liable to be used in terror activities
Lumber beams and boards more than 2 cm thick

You stick 1.6M people in a small decrepit area 40km at his longest length, limited resources and facilities and ban essential goods which we take for the norm - they will find a way to get it through just like every other part of human history.

I remember back in 2008-2012 the Routers/BBC crews who would tag along with some of the smuggling routes, construction supplies were a hot demand, selling at an absolute premium.

Back