The stupidity of vetting agencies.

Ok, I need to vent.

in 2005, I filled out a vetting pack and sent it off to the vetting agency, as a work requirement.
They spoke to me for a while, then sent the package back to my employer.
I heard nothing more.

In December 2006, I was told that I didn't have a clearance, and shouldn't have admin access.
Apparently, my clearance packkge has been lost. No apologies, no nothing.
So I had to do it again.
Which I did. unhappily.

Now, they've told me, that becuase I was HONEST and UPFRONT with the vetting officer, that I couldn't guarantee that I wouldn't take a particular course of action if I was out "having fun with my friends"
apparently this means i dont have the "maturity, honesty and personal integrity" required for a HP clearance.

BECAUSE I ****ING TOLD THE TRUTH, despite being tacitly encouraged to lie by the vetting agent.
Thats basically also what my manager said.. i should have just told them what they wanted to hear.

On another note - does it make you all feel safe and secure that the Federal Government department responsible for the security of data supplied whenever you make an Australian Workplace Agreement has demonstrated a clear inability to maintain the privacy of your personal data ?

Ok, I need to vent.

in 2005, I filled out a vetting pack and sent it off to the vetting agency, as a work requirement.
They spoke to me for a while, then sent the package back to my employer.
I heard nothing more.

In December 2006, I was told that I didn't have a clearance, and shouldn't have admin access.
Apparently, my clearance packkge has been lost. No apologies, no nothing.
So I had to do it again.
Which I did. unhappily.

Now, they've told me, that becuase I was HONEST and UPFRONT with the vetting officer, that I couldn't guarantee that I wouldn't take a particular course of action if I was out "having fun with my friends"
apparently this means i dont have the "maturity, honesty and personal integrity" required for a HP clearance.

BECAUSE I ****ING TOLD THE TRUTH, despite being tacitly encouraged to lie by the vetting agent.
Thats basically also what my manager said.. i should have just told them what they wanted to hear.

On another note - does it make you all feel safe and secure that the Federal Government department responsible for the security of data supplied whenever you make an Australian Workplace Agreement has demonstrated a clear inability to maintain the privacy of your personal data ?

whats a vetting agency?

a vetting agency is responsible for performing security clearance vetting.

basically, they collect details such as your name, date and place of birth, parents names, dates and places of birth, tax file numbers, financial information, friends details, residential history for 10+ years etc into one complete package, to determine your suitability for access to classified information.

they then "vet" or confirm the dta, and return it to the sponsoring organisation, who makes a decision.

a vetting agency is responsible for performing security clearance vetting.
I heard recently of a case where the vetting took so long, that by the time clearance arrived, the position no longer existed.

That is likely to continue, with the huge extra demand on vetting, with all the events of the last few years.

basically.. what it means is, in a department where they are having trouble holding onto staff, they are going to lose yet another employee.

I've been through some of those processes myself and yes it can be a frustrating process. I know a guy who took a year to get a classified level defence clearance because he was born overseas and had done alot of overseas travel.

Back