The town bums

Through her hard work and dedication, a girl successfully auditioned for a show, and as a result, was later shunned by her peers - who also auditioned but were not successful. They showed their resentment by refusing to attend the show. Her caring uncle came to find out about the incident and wrote her the following letter.

Dear Annie,

Once upon a time there was a fellow by the name of Al Cap who wrote a comic strip called Li'l Abner. Many years ago he had some characters in the script who lived in a town near Dogpatch. They were the town bums, the failures whose whole aim in life was to pass judgment on others. Their criticism and ridicule became so vehement that there came a time when the people of the rest of the town became acutely conscious of it. The "boys down at the stable" as they were called, because that's where they spent most of their time, started to set the social standard for the whole town. Nobody could do anything without their sanction. Because they lived within the structure of their crummy little world they would laugh at anyone who tried to be better than anyone else. As a result the people feared the ridicule of the "boys down the stable" so much so that they stopped trying. Soon everybody became bums and the whole town died.
You see within every social structure within every town, country or state there are the "boys down at the stable". They're the jealous ones. They're too scared to try something different and they show their ignorance by laughing at those who do. Learn to recognise them for what they are and don't let them hurt you. It takes a certain amount of toughness in here to succeed. One has to rise above those who are "tear you downs" and say "I told you so". Your not going to fall flat on your face as they would have you - your going to do a superb job. Remember this show is only one small step in the direction of the greater things you will do many of which are beyond you wildest dreams. One of the things I like about you best is that you always give it hell for trying. The show will be a success because of you and others like you who try. There are only winners in the cast. The losers are down at the stable laughing and hoping for our failure. If we could dig down deep inside of them I am sure we would find that they would like to win also but they're too scared to try. And they attempt to cover up their own failures as human beings by laughing at others. You know, in a sense, I am sorry for them. Their guilt must make them very unhappy.

Strive for excellence my friends - yet be compassionate for those who fear to step out of their comfort zones. I, for one, used to be one of "the boys down at the stable" and felt so uncomfortable in that mould. I feel so fortunate that I broke out of the shell and began walking on the path of self dependence, responsibility and self improvement.
Here's to much success in all of your positive endeavours. :)

Back