The Very Best Selling Agents.....

Rather than focus on the negatives I'd like to start a thread by asking those of you who've bought (or are buying) property to complete the above sentence. I'm conducting some research into the traits of excellence amongst selling agents but would also appreciate some input from other purchasers.

I'll start with one to kick off:

...follow up regardless of whether or not you appeared interested in the property at the inspection.

I think the best agents walk a fine line between helping you to make a decision and not being too pushy.

When we were looking for our PPOR, there was one agent who we saw a few times at various open houses. He was well presented, friendly, had a certain "charm" or charisma about him. After we saw him a couple of times, he remembered what we were looking for, knew our names, and could suggest other properties that we hadn't thought of. I also noticed him once at an auction that was being run by a different agent, and liked that he was out there staying informed about the market.

When he didn't see us for a month or so (because we had exchanged on our PPOR), he called us just to see how our search was going.

Ultimately, he didn't have the property we wanted. But I still remember him well and would happily find him and give him the listing if we ever sell.

The very best selling agents (for me as a buyer) talk a lot and end up disclosing what the vendor's bottom line is. This takes some rapport and ground work to build the relationship, however as they want a sale and ergo their commission, some trade off for price is given as a timely result transpires. I then negotiate down from this price.

This has been my experience under the following circumstances............cash (no finance clauses) and the rea knows I am a serious qualified buyer. Most recently with a cash Qld purchase and a few years ago with two cash SMSF purchases.

...will educate you about the market completely, bluntly, and honestly, allowing you to choose whatever path you choose to take without creating false expectations that lead you into economic misadventure.

Demonstrates great listening skills to connect you with property that meets what you are looking for; not what she/he happens to be selling; also to not dismiss you based on stereotyped assumptions

Demonstrates great listening skills to connect you with property that meets what you are looking for; not what she/he happens to be selling; also to not dismiss you based on stereotyped assumptions

...and will treat you with the same attitude when you walk in as when you walk out.

There is nothing worse than the fake ones who suddenly have an attitude adjustment when they find out you are not just having a look. I am not asking for silver service, but how hard is it to just be pleasant from the start?

Keep 'em coming guys. Some great responses so far.

Agree about effective listening being an important skill in an agents toolbox, that's for sure!

- return your calls

- answer your questions, even if 'it's on the brochure' (then why did I just overhear you telling someone something different?)

- don't assume anything about you by the way you look

- talk to both/all parties when a question is raised, rather than directing sole attention to the 'more important' one (see above)

- talk up the property, but in a reasonable way (drawing attention to potential, works in vendor's favour too)

- as previously mentioned, giving away the vendor's situation/bottom line figure (may or may not be good for the vendor, depeding on how quickly they want a sale, and possibly a good agent will pad that figure a little above their 'real' expectations)

- are just generally pleasant, efficient, friendly people to deal with - it shouldn't really count, but selling does involve people skills, after all

I agree with all of the previous poster's comments re selling agents, but I'd like to add one little thing that, sadly, not many agents do when conducting open homes - they actually let you walk in the front door of a property and, if only for a few seconds, allow you to just 'take it in'.
I hate being instantly bombarded at the front door by agents ramming a sheet of paper and a pen in front of my face for my contact details and pestering me with questions about MY situation. I know this is their job, but when I'm really seriously looking to purchase a property, I like to take in my initial reaction to it and look at the property at my leisure without being stalked! I like selling agents to be friendly and approachable, but my husband and I like to 'have a look' by ourselves and make comments/discuss the property with each other privately. An agent who respects this sits high on my list.

Also, in my opinion, a good selling agent is one who can convince the owners NOT to be present at inspections! :D For me (and call me rude if you wish ;)) but if I have to tell the agent the reasons why I'm 'not interested' in their property and they hear (because they refuse to trust the agent??? If they don't trust an agent then why entrust him/her to sell your property???) what I say and are offended by it - too bad! :p

Keep 'em coming guys. Some great responses so far.

Agree about effective listening being an important skill in an agents toolbox, that's for sure!

Great thread Jacque:
What are your thoughts on Agents allowing the owners to contribute to the site listing?

If people buy on emotion and justify with logic, then why do real estate listings present reams of dry facts? This blog post on the iPostcodes.com.au site has a really good article:

www.ipostcodes.com.au

http://bit.ly/nPY4Nc

"iPostcodes.com.au is an aussie website that brings the power of emotion to help sell and lease homes.
Outside of marriage, buying a home is the most emotional decision a person can make, not only is it a huge financial investment but also they’re staking the future of their family. Many real estate agents don’t appeal to emotions and thus sell fewer homes at lower prices, which is a disservice to their clients,” said Steve Basin, CEO of iPostcodes.com, which offers a win-win-win solution for the buyer, seller and real estate agent.

Buying a house is an emotional decision, but most real estate agents stick to the facts. All listings are black and white. Dry facts and figures and they all look the same. That’s important, but it doesn’t differentiate one house with another. People buy on emotion. They say “I love this place.” Agents can’t generate that emotion; owners can."

No one can tell the story of the property better than the owner. They know where the shops are, how good the schools are, the unique features of the house and many other factors”, he said."

I won't quote it all - use the link to read the rest....
but does anyone have any thoughts on it ?

.... actually call back when you submit a property query through the web.

Lately I have been looking around, and have submitted enquiries via the web asking current rental per week (not noted on listing). I think I have gotten 1 callback the rest go into oblivion.

Whats the point of agents having this great medium for advertising and answering questions (they can even email the info back) when they dont use it.

Same as the ones who have one photo of the exterior taken from a camera phone on the listing. Or dont even bother, take this gem I spotted today

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-nsw-killara-107459269

As a seller why would you even contemplate an agent who has such contempt for the sales process to post an ad like that?

Needs a suit jacket slung over his shoulder to complete the look. Preferably whilst on a yacht.

Like this guy

CityCat_Brisbane.jpg

The Very Best Selling Agents should be open to ideas

Rather than focus on the negatives I'd like to start a thread by asking those of you who've bought (or are buying) property to complete the above sentence. I'm conducting some research into the traits of excellence amongst selling agents but would also appreciate some input from other purchasers.

I'll start with one to kick off:
...follow up regardless of whether or not you appeared interested in the property at the inspection.

GOOD ONE. 100% agree.
Good customer service doesn't end the day you walk away from the inspection or an offer is presented.

The Age conducted a survey recently and found "Australians were overwhelmingly prepared to reward good service, with 75 per cent saying they had spent more with a company because of a history of good customer service.
Source: http://www.theage.com.au/national/a...y-consumers-20110728-1i2j7.html#ixzz1TeGUMnSs

I'm hearing more and more in terms of the agents and the sellers working together to achieve the same end result. I think The Very Best Selling Agents should be open to this idea.

www.iPostcodes.com.au allows owners to describe all the features and benefits. It's an interesting turn as the owner’s perspective is so often neglected.

Real estate agents play a vital role in the sale and purchase of property... but some property owners need assistance, some are time poor, and others don’t have the inclination to do it themselves. Allowing the sellers to assist the agent market your home can drastically improve and speed up the process.

Back