Things You Do Not Expect an Agent to Say...

Had an interesting experience this morning talking to an agent, so I thought why not start a thread and see who has the strangest or funniest comment from an agent.

My contribution is:

"Seeing that you are an investor, I have 2 properties on my books that are quite cheap and the owners are willing to negotiate.

Both have been on for quite some time. Both properties were leased at great yields but both tenants were murdered in the house.:eek:

Is that a problem?"

Had an interesting experience this morning talking to an agent, so I thought why not start a thread and see who has the strangest or funniest comment from an agent.

My contribution is:

"Seeing that you are an investor, I have 2 properties on my books that are quite cheap and the owners are willing to negotiate.

Both have been on for quite some time. Both properties were leased at great yields but both tenants were murdered in the house.:eek:

Is that a problem?"

bummer.. 2 houses. I wonder if they had the same owner?!

We are in the process of putting our house on the market. the agents came to look.. you cant get in one of the bedrooms cause there's so much junk in there. Kids have dirty washing strewn all over their floors etc... imagine something perhaps not quite as bad as hoarders, but close to it! ;)

Agent says, " All those real estate shows on TV are complete rubbish. I dont think you need to tidy or clean the house. It wont have any impact on the price or interest in the property. Just trim the gardens and you'll be fine"

I think I have posted this before but...

"Do you all have the same daddy?" to my 5 year old at a home open :eek:. I have 3 children 5 and under, yes I do look younger than I really am;) but come on!!!!

"Do you all have the same daddy?" to my 5 year old at a home open :eek:. I have 3 children 5 and under, yes I do look younger than I really am;) but come on!!!!

That is just so disgusting to say to a child, or to any mother. I would have made sure his boss heard about it.

Wow - that's an incredibly socially inept agent :eek:

Cheers

Jamie

Haha, I have 3 kids - two blue eyed golden haired things, and one much older with dark brown hair and brown eyes. Golden haired partner could pass for an older clone of one of the little ones.

I think its so obvious the elder kid is from different stock noone says anything :)

Although I do find that most people, our real estate agent included as I caught that look of surprise when I said we were upgrading because we needed the extra bedroom, are blissfully unaware that I have 3 kids in the first place since we so rarely go anywhere with all 3 of them at once.

Just going back to the topic on "Things You Do Not Expect an Agent to Say...", I suppose I should be used to it by now.........but I still get surprised by agents who:
1. Ring me to tell me the reserve price of the auction that they know I will be bidding at the next day.....and this is not just a once off but a very regular thing from quite a number of different agents.
2. Email me to tell me the same thing.
3. Disclose the vendor's actual motivation for selling.
4. When asked if some building addition has been approved, answer "Yes". Then when pushed for approved plans, dates of approval etc., go back to the vendor for an answer, and then answer "No", or "yes the laundry is, but not the kitchen".:confused:
5. Email me the other offers on a place they know we're interested in buying (got one just this morning).

I mean to say, that I love buying off these agents (and it is to our and our client's advantage, to whom we have an obligation) but I would never sell through one of them!:(

I mean to say, that I love buying off these agents (and it is to our and our client's advantage, to whom we have an obligation) but I would never sell through one of them!:(

A couple of months we purchased a small rental, and used the vendor's lawyer, as it was very simple cash deal. They must not have liked the vendor much, because they openly admitted to charging the vendor for things, they could have passed to us.
We would never use this lawyer, but we love it when we find out they are the vendor's.

We were purchasing a property once, and the agent asked how much we wanted to put down as a deposit. We said $1000. He wrote $1,000,000. After he had unsuccessfully attempted to write it a couple of times, he ended up asking us to write it.

What agents say that shock you

Hiya

Went to view a house 2 years ago; house listed for 360K; when i finished viewing it and was argy bargy about price, agent leaned over, stroked my chin and say "for you, i can sell to you for 330K"...:eek: Dirty old man!!

I nearly puked and lucky my husband was not there!!!! And no, i did not end up buying the house....

I was checking out some houses in the Blue Mountains a few years ago. Met up with a stunner of an agent and struck up a convo... as you do.
Unfortunately the conversation came round to how she used to babysit me many years ago ~ she had about ten years on me. Not exactly where i wanted the convo to go :(

I made an offer once of all we had for a PPOR @ $235k. The agents said, no make it an off number $232K, it sounds more genuine. We got it.

He then said:

I am so glad as I don't like the other couple who was to be bidding at the (now cancelled) auction tomorrow and I am going to enjoy telling them "its gone!":p

He was Gay and we brought out white Maltese Dog to the every inspection. Enough said....:D

Peter 14.7

Oh Wow where do I start?!

Upon entering a house with a very well known agent, he obviously felt he could be more "himself" around me, so proceeded to sit on the owners lounge, accompanied by the coffee he'd just purchased on the way and fiddled with his iPhone whilst I took my own inspection :D

Another familiar agent described the house he was showing me as "nice but not overdone like the other wog mansions up the road" . Hmmmm.........

After inspecting a hideous house in the Parramatta area I commented throughout to the agent that the owners really were living in the dark ages, weren't they? I also said something like "There's no accounting for bad taste" and made various disparaging remarks about the swirl carpet and outdated colours etc- only to be told when we finished that it was actually her parents house! I immediately apologised and she agreed that it was actually preferable to hear the truth but I could see that she was a little hurt.... why not just declare agents interest on the ad in the first place?!!

The funniest one, however, was when a young agent showing me a particular unit showed me the main bedroom, only to jump up in fright when we encountered a rather large and semi-naked man on the bed who got up and said something to the effect of "What the hell are you doing here?!".... turns out we'd gone into the wrong unit on the same floor (he'd left his screen door shut but main door open). He couldn't get out of there fast enough!!

i always find it amusing when an agent can't find a bedroom. it's often a room that's been converted into stairs or deck that's been converted to an area off the living room for a very small computer area. i do have fun with these agents.

then there's the storage/rumpus/utility room downstairs that can not be advertised as a bedroom because it is not legal height. but it doesn't stop them.

A Ray White agent said to me, "heaps of people looked at this, but you were the only bloke it didn't frighten"

Whoa, dejavu on this as well.

Before we bought a trucking yard, I met the Ray White agent on-site. I pulled up and parked in the grotty front yard where all of the trailers and **** was stacked.

He pulled up next to me about 5 minutes later and said "Congratulations, you are the 26th person to call about this place, the 16th who has wanted an inspection but the very first to have actually driven in. All the others took off as soon as they saw the place."

We eventually went through the place and it got steadily worse from the front gate the more we walked towards the rear fence. It's about 200m long, so cannot see it all from the road.

When we squeezed into the tiny demountable office section with the female Owner who weighed about 220kg and had loose papers stacked messily up to the roof, she couldn't find the council rates notice that I'd asked to see and had to leave temporarily to find it, the Agent quietly whispered "she's the most disgusting, disorganised thing he'd ever met and didn't know her @r$e from her elbow."

I thought - I'm in here !!

After purchasing it and eventually clearing off 82 tonnes worth of rubbish, kicking out 5 separate sets of dropkicks who paid no rent and deliberately damaged the property, people now say we were very lucky to buy it.

Dazz, like my father in law says to me - sometimes you make your own luck!

Things You Do Not Expect an Agent to Say:- my favourite experience was a pretty recent inspection of two separate properties, owned by the same owners. The RE agent freely volunteered the information that they'd bought them for 290K each (advertised at the moment as 250K each) and that they'd got in over their heads financially, so desperately needed to get rid of both of them. :eek:

All I could think of was, who on earth are YOU working for, lady?!

This is a prime example of why I sold our last two properties myself!!

Back