This ad on RE.com.au made me smile

Hi Depreciator,

That is fantastic! I feel like snapping it up just to gloat about the fact that I owned the smallest unit in the southern hemisphere, perfect for midgets and the spacially challenged etc. I think the author of the add is a gem.

I actually know the building quite well as my uncle lives on the 13th floor of Rockwell apartments directly across the road and has a fabulous view straight down into most of those street facing units. I'll tell you what, if you want some quality life education, just grab the binoculars after dark as there is hours of entertainment to be had :eek:, it's like a David Attenborough (spellin?) doco.........Not that we ever have done that of course.;)

Anyway cheers
A great little read indeed
Slingshot

great ad - but am i the only one here thinking that the apartment has great potential.

it needs a well organised storage cupboard put in for hanging, folding clothes etc - either between the front door and bathroom door or along the wall from the kitchenette to the window. an open shelf bookcase (with occasional cupboards) full length along the wall opposite the kitchenette, with a plasma television set in, would also give more space.

it also needs a better style of furniture to make use of the space - either a fold down cupboard bed or a classy futon/sofa bed (that just folds away already made up. if you go the cupboard bed then you could have a little fold away table setting in the "bed" space. if you went the sofa bed then the little table setting could stay set up, but you wouldn't be able to have bed and couch out at the same time.

i wonder if it would rent for even more if furnished properly?

all i can see is potential - but i don't like the sound of the concrete cancer ... i wonder how bad it is?

I detected a note of irony in the 'gorgeous hookers' bit - the ones working the streets around there are never gorgeous.

Lizzie, apartments around there aren't bad investments. I've often toyed with the idea of buying a couple. When I was talking to my bank guy before Christmas about something I was thinking about buying, he said: 'I reckon you should look at some of those studios and one bedders around the cross.

According to him, points in their favour:

- strata fees in the older, smaller buildings are pretty reasonable
- tenants queue up to rent in the area
- tenants tend to be gainfully employed, but are often short term (not hourly, though)
- rent is pretty good - better with furniture
- a cheap reno can go along way in those small spaces

The prices of the older flats keep going up. In part they get dragged up by the newer, flash developments. Historical stats for apartment prices aren't much use because they are skewed by the changing nature of the properties in the area i.e. the newer stuff built over the last few years.

Scott

Believe me the hookers that I have mistakenly spotted through my binoculars were well short of gorgeous.

Anyway back to the flat. I also see potential there. There are a lot of those cheapies around Potts Point, Elizabeth Bay etc. Some look really good, some of the older style studios have great potential imo with timber floors, better location etc. Haven't checked it out for a while but there is some good yields to be had if done well. Also the gentrification of Kings Cross is well under way with a load of new bars etc being built as we speak. I don't think you could go too far wrong around that area but I believe the building in question would be better suited as Greatpig suggested rented on an hourly basis.

Slingshot

I also think it looks ok. Some light colours,mirrors,lighting and some smart storage and furniture. Knock them down a bit in price.Sit the cat on the window sill. I think there is alot worse places to park your investment moola.

I reckon you need to go to one of those Ikea displays where they say 'Our home in 20m2!'. The small utilisation of these designs are amazing.

great ad - but am i the only one here thinking that the apartment has great potential.

No Lizzie, I TOTALLY agree. Needs a bit of creative furnishing and rent it out as a traveller's apartment. Try finding a hotel room (self contained) that close to CBD for under $100 a night ($215 per week pfft) I reckon on the right website (even Wotif) you could get 4-500 pw. More in peak times

Why do this little gems come up when i am not ready :confused: boohoo.

There are a lot of those cheapies around Potts Point, Elizabeth Bay etc. Some look really good, some of the older style studios have great potential imo with timber floors, better location etc

I will DEFINATELY be looking here. I am on the Sunny Coast and I haven't really looked at Sydney. (always been under the impression it was WAYYYY to expensive. But that has given me lot's to think about.

Cheers
Sue

Can someone give a postcode range to search RE.com.au for this area?? Is Pott's Point near Elizabeth Bay??
:confused: Need to get me a map :)

Sue

Last edited:
Back