Thornleigh/Normanhurst, NSW PPOR

Hi,

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask my kind of question, but this seems to be the best place to do so with so many experienced property buyers.

We have been living in Blacktown, NSW for years, and we're thinking of moving somewhere more quiet and even safer. I must say to my experience Blacktown is already very safe, but it can be a bit interesting near the station after 8pm).

So we have been looking around Pymble/Turramurra, and needing a 4 BR house with a budget of $750,000, we quickly gave up. For us, those two would be the dream suburbs, but it's just impossible with most places costing a million plus. I also looked at the surrounding suburbs (Wahroonga, Waitara, St.Ives) and most of them will be a downgrade to the house we already live in now (of course with the land costing $300,000 more).

Then a friend told me to go further to Thornleigh. I didn't care so much because even Normanhurst which is next door was already too expensive. To my surprise Thornleigh has a lot of sub 700,000 4 BR houses. It has a station, reasonable bus coverage, and not too dense. My friend informed me that the price is lower due to the fact that you have a light industrial area, but otherwise in terms of demographics, crime, environment, schooling, etc, it's basically a carbon copy of Normanhurst and Westleigh.

The areas I was looking at is the north end of Wareemba/Norman Ave.

My question is, what's wrong with this suburb? The only problem I see is the lack of public transport, but one can drive to any of the stations on the north shore line (and there's an infrequent bus too). Surely this is not worth $100,000+ difference (compared to Pennant Hills, Beecroft, Westleigh, etc)

Thanks for any reply! I have been reading this forum a lot, and sure learnt so much about the different suburbs in Sydney.

Thornleigh

Hiya

Absolutely nothing wrong with this suburb! I live next door in Pennant Hills. In fact, i nearly bought a PPOR in Thornleigh myself. It is a skip and a hop to bustling Hornsby with its big Westfield. I think Thornleigh is value for money but some houses are older although on bigger plots of land. If i were you, i will buy near the station; very quick to go straight to North Ryde and onwards to chatswood or alternatlvely change at Hornsby to go down the North Shore line.

This suburb is value for money imho...the reason why it is cheaper is because Pennant hills is that closer to Beecroft and Normanhurst is that closer to Wahroonga..and it is smack in the middle,that's all. However there is a section of industrial estate (only a very small section tho near Duffy road...) You can always buy on the other side of the station line and that side around the new Woolworth side is very nice too. Have a drive around....

And you definitely will not have the funny feeling at the station after 8pm unlike Blacktown.

All the best and welcome to my part of the world

I live nearby and think it's a great spot if you're looking for somewhere quiet and leafy. You've got the station and the shops and Hornsby shops not far away. Some of it is pretty hilly.

Plus you're in the fantastic Anglican Parish of Pennant Hills / Thornleigh with the most amazing clergy :p

Ill chime in as I know the area quite well. A bit of trivia, Normanhurst shares the same post code as Wahroonga but not the same price tag.

The Thornleigh/ Normanhurst area probably runs at a discount to nearby suburbs for afew reasons.

*You are not paying for any prestige value like nearby suburbs. You are paying for a quiet safe family friendly area.

*Industrial area of Thornleigh, ie It is where all of Sydneys cement trucks go to get refilled.

*It is severed by one of Sydneys most dangerous and god awful roads Pennant Hills Road chocka block with big rigs. If they ever proceed with the F3 to M2 tunnel it will make a huge difference to the area and probably property values accordingly, though perhaps not to properties near exhaust stacks.

The pocket In Thornleigh you are looking at and also Westlegh is probably the way to go as you can do all local travel like driving to both stations and travel to Hornsby avoiding Pennant Hills Road. That pocket is a quiet oasis.
Saying that the Woolworths side of Thornleigh you can hit the Comenara and you are connected to the North shore.

Hornsby Heights/Mount Colah/Berowra might be worth a look to.

I could happily live in any of the mentioned areas.

Thanks all for the great replies! One of these days I'm going to see if I can knock off work early and check out the traffic. Looks like I have to watch out for the industrial area too, it all seems very quiet at night, but obviously I need to check them out during the day.

The area near Woolies sure is nice, but it seems prices were nearing 900k (I guess it's walkable distance to station). It felt more Pennant Hills than Thornleigh too. I wonder what the real boundaries are, some properties within walkable distance from Thornleigh is labeled Pennant Hills. Then again, you can walk from PH to Thornleigh station.

Back