Thread Necro'ing

Hey Sim

Noticing there is a lot of thread necro'ing going on of late... threads from 4-6 years ago being re-opened with a single question that is "this is the closest I can find" style posts.

Is there any benefit in threads that are years old being able to be resurrected with likely out of date information in them vs creating new threads?

Should threads older than a certain age be considered to be locked?

Dave

Hey Sim

Noticing there is a lot of thread necro'ing going on of late... threads from 4-6 years ago being re-opened with a single question that is "this is the closest I can find" style posts.

Is there any benefit in threads that are years old being able to be resurrected with likely out of date information in them vs creating new threads?

Dave

TBH I'd rather people ask in an existing thread than start a new one

Some things keep recurring. DHA for instance. Or the advantages of CF+ vs CG.

Sometimes though the old threads are used to rubbish a person. People google an organisation they don't like, and enrol just too say bad things about that org. They may be genuine gripes or they may be a competitor. These ones serve no advantage- we will delete those when we see them. Please report them if we don't.

There are pros and cons on both sides ... I'm reluctant to simply automatically close old thread ... there can sometimes be value in re-starting an old thread.

It is easy enough to split posts into a new thread if necessary, or if it seems to be irrelevant content (report it!), deleting the offending posts will make the thread disappear into the archives again.

I do it because if you have NOT used the search engine and asked a similar question that has been answered in the past then you get flamed.

Hey Sim

Dave

Depends, I think sometimes they can be useful, look back at what happened then and what is happening now especially when it is pertaining to a specific area/location.

Now if we just stop posting in this thread for 5+ years, someone can Necro it ironically in the future :p

Back