Time Out?

Hi Mods

Maybe we need a time out facility where members are locked out from posting for say a week for less major infractions. Its a worry if in these stressful times for some people that we only have in or out. Sometimes things are posted in the heat of the moment or under the influence that posters later regret.

Unfortunately without the diversity of opinion, the forum is less of a whole than if we encourage all viewpoints being expressed in a polite manner. To use an analogy the forum may become at risk of being more processed white bread than a choice of loaves at a bakery.

Obviously the usual societal norms of politeness and non-discriminatory behaviour should be observed.

Just an idea...what do forum members and mods think?

Cheers

Shane

ps You can tell I have littlies can't you :D

IMHO, the more diversity of views we get the better.

Sometimes we learn more from people with different points of view than those who agree with us. On Somersoft I have been challenged by some strategies that I initially disagreed with, but have been interested enough to investigate further, in some cases by PM to the person posting. I have learned many different approaches to investing that I would not otherwise have done, and only wish I was 30 years younger so that I could explore some further.

Unless things turn downright nasty, or multiple posts become a nuisance, I can't see a problem.

I don't know why these people are being banned, but that is up to the moderators as there may be things going on that we are not aware of.
Marg

hehehehe...

we should have a jail cell here, where we have the member online, and we can torture them in a cage aswell...

or.... we could have a court room here and poll if member should be banned
or what their punishment should be...
:D

In my experience, on the occasions when the mods do ban people, either temporarily (that facility already exists) or permanently, it is justified. The mods here do a fantastic job and these decisions are not taken lightly.

Also, some people request to be banned, for reasons only they can explain.

Others, myself included, never actually request banning, but do take extended breaks from the forum.

Back