Time Piece Investment

My prized possession is an IWC Portofino I purchased in Vegas when I was 23.

Wear it every day, and at night it sits in the winder.

I have a few lowly Omega's, mainly vintage Seamasters, plus a nice Tudor, a Tissot and a few vintage Seiko divers. They're bought as collectables to wear and enjoy.

I invest a bit of my income in lots of other collectables too, anything from movie posters to Australian pottery. Just things I pick up cheap that I enjoy and will turn a profit down the track. Family has been in the Antique and Collectables trade for 30+ years, so I've grown up appreciating lots of objects, great learning experience.

I'll be going to something like a Casio G-Shock with solar. Never having to change the battery is great and it's more robust for outdoor sports. Not to mention it costs less.

I'm told the Lithium rechargeable batteries will still need to be replaced 10+ years on (esp if you let it run down too often) - just as you did on your Tissot (and Seiko Kinetics for that matter)

You need to make sure that whoever does the work knows what they're doing - apparently the G-Shocks have some pretty serious seals etc (might just be him, because he had a Mudman) and the jeweller had trouble putting it back together properly.

The Y-man

Preowned "Platinum Patek Philippe Ref 5016 Minute Repeater Tourbillon" advertised on eBay for US $745,250.00 / AU $907,900.35!!!! :eek:

Why? What makes it so amazing to fetch that price!?

I don't understand the fascination with watches AT ALL. (That may be because I'm a bit rough with my hands so would likely scratch any expensive watch or jewelry though.)

Just made my first gain from a fine watch sale.

One year ago I purchased a ca. 30 year old gold day/date Rolex for 7,000 euros. Sold it for 8,500 euros last week. 21% gain in a year. No holding costs although I did have the pleasure of its utility for a year.

This was dumb luck.

With these winnings I just purchased two Patek Philippe time pieces worth approximately 75,000 euros. Brings my total collection to around AUD$150,000. Four are Patek Philippe and one ladies white gold/diamond rolex.

I'm banking on a doubling in value in about 10 years with very little holding costs.

Anyone trying this out?

Mind asking where you sold it? Inherited a collection and you've sparked my interest!

Back