Time Share and equivalents - including Trend West

This post from Penny triggered this thread.

A several years ago ( pre somersoft I think ) we went to a presentation from Trend West ( sponsor the Sydney Kings ) who are a time share company . We went along out of curiosity and the promise of a free portable DVD ( which broke down after about one week...) . Rather than sell time in particular resort , you bought a number of points which allowed you to stay at one of their many resorts or with their affiliates . It also gave you access to the promise of cheap deals on cruises and other holidays .

It seemed like a ( ? Very ) good deal , but not wanting to commit that night ( you needed to do that to get the extra goodies - I hate high pressure selling techniques and the feeling that some one is trying to manipulate me - also doesn't give you time to do your due dilligence ) ) I shelved it away some thing to check out when we had more time to actually go on holidays and the money to spend on them .

Well that time is looming in the next year and Penny's post served as a trigger to ask questions about it .

Penny ( and others ) would you be willing to share your experiences as to which company and how it has worked out ?

See Change

We gave away our mini-stereo thing from Trendwest as a 21st birthday present, but our DVD from Accor is still working fine! (I think.... I use it as a cd player, because all my TV's are too old to take the digital input....)

Cheers,

The Y-man

We have owned timeshare in a resort at Coolangatta for many years (although have only stayed there once).

We are in a group called RCI Points which has enabled us to stay in many resorts in Australia, Fiji Malaysia and Hawaii that we would otherwise not have been able to afford.

Timeshare had a crook name (people were expecting to make a profit from their purchase - it really is an investment in a lifestyle for us) for many years but we have had no real bad experiences and lots of happy memories.

Everybody is different but it has worked for us.

We went to a Trend West presentation about 6 months ago - keen to receive the free holiday and Coles-Myer card - having been recommended by Geoff's niece and partner who are members. (We ended up letting the free accomodation expire, should have grabbed the CD player ;) )

We thought it was the biggest waste of money we've ever seen! We couldn't believe his family members, who definitly cannot afford it, got sucked into it! I believe it was something around 20k upfront (although for less points the fee went to around 9k I think) "for a lifetime of holidays" - or really just your accommodation for a week or two each year, plus ongoing fees every year (around $500-$600 I think) plus costs for each time you use "your points" (cleaning fees, etc).

They definitly are targeting low income earners (min wage $35k/annum I believe was the requirement) who can't afford the holidays anyways and are selling a dream. Plus they can organise all the finance, so they'll be paying this off for years! Our family members have had these for about 2 years, and haven't used any of them (can't afford the flights and other costs to get to these holiday spots) and so were hoping to be able to use them this year for our wedding in Hawaii. They have to pay $300 JUST TO SEE if the international accommodation is available, and what the cost will be.

People forget that the costs of accomodation are just one part of holiday costs when they go to these presentations - food, airfare, entertainment, etc, etc.

Put that $20k into a high interest bank account and use the interest you make to pay for your accomodation each year (and plus you'll still have the $20k!).

Just my thoughts :D

Cheers,
Jen

I attended many of the presentations and came away with the same thoughts as Jen. The annual maintenance fee to me allowed me to pay for the accommodation where and when I want. However, my next door neighbours bought Timeshare at Dromana and have had so much use from it that it made me think that maybe I had not known all the options.

Because they own the Dromana Timeshare they get to use the facilities for the day free, plus they get special offers to use not only the Dromana facility but the others owned by the same group throughout Australia for $100 a week for 6 people!!!!

Consequently they take advantage of the $100 a week offer and 6 of them go and have a wonderful week away and save their points and use them when they go overseas. The 6 people must all be from the family.

There are various websites where you can join even though you are not a Timeshare member and still rent an apartment for just slightly more than members pay.

Chris

Superficially when you go to one of the presentations , the alarm bells ring like crazy ......

That's why I want to get opinions of people who have actually bought into one.

See Change

I attended many of the presentations and came away with the same thoughts as Jen. The annual maintenance fee to me allowed me to pay for the accommodation where and when I want.

This is the same thoughts we have had on time-share. The last lot we looked at had a maintenance fee that went up each year & actually cost more than the typical serviced appartments that we rent when we go away. Add to that the fact that we get told where we need to go each year (as we go for sporting reasons), quite often there is not an appropriate time-share facility near the venue we need to be close to.

My brother and his wife bought timeshare about 15 years ago. We all thought they were mad. They bought one week and a couple of years later, bought a second week for less than they paid originally.

They now have five kids and it has turned out to be a fantastic move on their part. They get two weeks at the Gold Coast each year in school holiday time which they could never afford with five kids without the timeshare. They have certainly got more than their money's worth from it.

We went to one of the points presentations and also let our accommodation offer expire without realising it, so sat through the high pressure for nothing. Was interesting though watching them squirm when we asked some hard questions. They ran about getting supervisors because we asked questions they didn't know how to answer. We were all squirming LOL.

We know a family who bought into this latest scheme and they also have used it well. They are on a tight budget and have got good value from it to have holidays they wouldn't have otherwise been able to afford.

Wylie

Well, its good to know that I inspired a thread!! :D

We bought timeshare through the Holiday Club, which is linked to RCI.

In compariing the experience of us and those of my friends who have bought with TrendWest, I would say that RCI provides a greater range of benefits. In addition to RCI, we have access to the Holiday Club properties, which are few, and we also initially had complimentary membership of ICE Cruises, which we subsequently re-purchased into.

We bought into the Points plan, rather than a specific property.

Our maintenance fee is around $550/ year. I can't remember how much we paid upfront. It was probably too much! But at the time it seemed like a good deal. I think we paid around $12 000

But we have used the timeshare well...... so far we have had

*7 night Barrier Reef cruise (complimentary when we signed up)
*7 nights in NZ (we got 1 years free points when we signed up)
*7 nights in Goa (which we tried to give to friends and it didn't work out, so that was wasted - that was our "present" for attending the presentation)
*7 nights in Fiji
* 7 nights in Thailand (Pattaya is not a great family destination - very disappointing!)

All of the above was for 2 adults and 2 children in either a one or two bedroom apartment. We don't have to pay any exchange fee for accommodation in Australia, NZ or South Pacific. There is a small fee for overseas places.

We have also used the timeshare to purchase cheap accommodation, including
* 7 night Caribbean cruise for 4 for around $500AUD, including all meals
*7 nights in Orlando for around $300 total.

So, in Australia, the accommodation is not always worth it, but the overseas accommodation is much cheaper, even when looking at maintenance fees.

There are places on-line where you can purchase budget timeshares - not sure how that would work! The worst thing about it is sitting through that presentation!!!!!!

I imagine timeshare is probably is a bit of scam, but its worked well for us!

Pen

Family members are trendwest owners and they are pretty good.
Their accomodation and facilities are of very high standard.

I just came back from holiday in Trendwest apartments in QLD and Sydney.

I dont own them myself as family member already own them and I get to use them for free every year :).

But If I have to buy one..I probably wouldnt. I probably use that money invest in stocks and use the return from stocks and pay for accomodation and holidays.

We attended a timeshare seminar in Twin Waters on the Sunny coast for a bit of a lark a few months ago. As a "gift" we could buy a free nights accomodation in Australia, or have 4 nights in Fiji for $29. We opted for the fiji trip and are making it special by staying an extra 7 nights.

The actual timeshare itself was very tempting to buy, but I don't think you save much unless you can guarantee that you'll use it every year. This one was a points system too. They really give you the hard sell, getting the supervisor out and reducing the prices etc.

When I got home, I looked it up on Ebay, and you can get them there at half the price!!!

When I got home, I looked it up on Ebay, and you can get them there at half the price!!!

That seems to be about standard.

There are several sites where they are discussed in detail and many where you can buy second hand points or timeshares.

Recurring theme seems to be like the product , but hate the marketing ....

See Change

Interested thread
I went to a presentation from a similar group
APVC - Accor
who offered a free $100 dinner voucher
and I had to sit through 90minutes of sales tactics
They sat me down at a table and tried to convince me of how much im saving, then sat down in a theatre to watch a video, taken to a sample room
then sat down to try and get me to sign
The whole way they dodge the question of how much is it
until the end
It cost over 19000
but if i signed that day it was 17000
No way did I sign
http://www.redseason.com.au/
this site has them for much cheaper- half price

http://trendwestwatch.blogspot.com/
this is another site to read through
Read through the whole blog by month - its very intersting

There are much cheaper ways to get holidays
Points expire
resale value is low
Do your own research from the above.
But I concluded that it is poor value at retail prices, and in certain circumstances the discounted ones may be ok.

Back