to buy or not to buy

Every post on this thread suggests that its one market that is good or bad to buy in.

I wouldnt buy in Sydney right now but i sure would buy not far from Sydney or interstate.

I think its not just a case of "Should i buy or not now?" but
"Should i buy in this particular area now?" And if you do your research on that area, you'll come up with the correct answer.

And id love to know where an OTP apartment can go from $650k to $2 million? Even in Sydney! Seems a bit of a porkie to me.

I'm with you brains. Where the hell does one get an OTP that gains from $650k to $2million? Sydney prices have gone gang-busters, but that's really out there.

John

send jerry a PM if you're really interested. He's more liekly to let you know privately than over a public forum like this.

Jas

Personally I don't think a war will really affect the desire of people to live in houses - and if they are chosing not to buy a PPOR due to the war then they'll be looking for rental accomodation.

It's always the right time to buy property - somewhere. You just need to do the research to find where that is :)

I used to work with someone who was very worried when I started to buy property. They were concerned (for my sake) that property was priced too high, that interest rates would go up, that the bottom would fall out of the property market. I found it amusing - the person concerned owns no property, no shares, has no other investments of any kind, was constantly borrowing money and purchasing expensive dinners, trips, jacuzzis and her sole 'asset' was her car....She earnt north of $150K PA but didn't even have any savings. Her money managed her, not the other way round and she lived in constant fear of losing her income.

When someone tells you that your investment choice is a bad one, look at their investment habits and consider whether the advice is considered or merely heartfelt.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hehe.

Some ppl have warned me about R/E saying that the values are going to plummet soon. I usually reply with "I hope so". This totally confuses them until I explain that my small deposit would enable me to buy 2 properties instead of 1 if prices were lower. Also, the rent doesn't come in much slower.

Originally posted by Jas
send jerry a PM if you're really interested. He's more liekly to let you know privately than over a public forum like this.

Jas

It was more of a rhetorical question, sort of thinking out loud.

Originally posted by Aceyducey
Personally I don't think a war will really affect the desire of people to live in houses - and if they are chosing not to buy a PPOR due to the war then they'll be looking for rental accomodation.

It's always the right time to buy property - somewhere. You just need to do the research to find where that is :)

I used to work with someone who was very worried when I started to buy property. They were concerned (for my sake) that property was priced too high, that interest rates would go up, that the bottom would fall out of the property market. I found it amusing - the person concerned owns no property, no shares, has no other investments of any kind, was constantly borrowing money and purchasing expensive dinners, trips, jacuzzis and her sole 'asset' was her car....She earnt north of $150K PA but didn't even have any savings. Her money managed her, not the other way round and she lived in constant fear of losing her income.

When someone tells you that your investment choice is a bad one, look at their investment habits and consider whether the advice is considered or merely heartfelt.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

What youre saying is right Acey, but dont forget people have lost money on real estate and there have been property price collapses where people have lost a LOT of money.

Originally posted by Aceyducey
I found it amusing - the person concerned owns no property, no shares, has no other investments of any kind, was constantly borrowing money and purchasing expensive dinners, trips, jacuzzis and her sole 'asset' was her car....She earnt north of $150K PA...

Is she married? :D

To Buy/Sell or Not to Buy/Sell

1. I am an novice investor from Singapore and have previously acquired 2 investment properties in QLD.

2. I first acquired my first property(a 4-bedroom double garage waterfront house) for A$184,900 in 1993 from Villaworld Ltd through a Singapore-based agent in the then fast-rising property market. I was subsequently able to purchase the second property(non-water-fron and a 3 bedroom double garge house) in 1994 directly from the same developer at A$134,000, using the increased equity available in the first property, without having to pay any further cash deposit upfront. Unfortunately, the interest rate was "suddenly" increased by RBA in 1994 and since then, our 2 properties have been in a neqative home equity situation till 2002 when we manage to sell off the first property for A$276,100 during the Oct-Nov 2002 period on the advice from our sale agent. We were advised then that the Goldcoast property market would be peaking in December 2002 period soon and will be correcting downwards fast soon, if we fail to sell it off.

3. Because of this negative home equity situation and our so-lled "bad" experiences, we did not dare to further acquire any more Australian property in the meantime from 1994-2001 period.

4. I understand that that Qld/GoldCoast property market has already peaked in December 2002 as advised by our sale agent, or is it still "peaking" further in 2003?... When is the best time to sell off our second property if we decide to pro-actively exploit the property cycle and adopt the "buy low and sell high into the market'strength" as advocated by Leonard Barnes and Steve Narva, instead of the usual "buy and hold" investment strategy, as advocated by Jan Somers? Could the more experienced investors and forummers please provide the expert/informed views on the 2 different investment strategies as well as to help confirm/disconfirm the advice given (and views held) by the sale agent.

5. Will we likely to be similarly be caught in a subsequent negative home equity situation in 2004, as per our previous experience in 1993-1994 period, if we choose to invest in the same Goldcoast market in 2003 now? Beside ensuring that we buy cost-effectively into positive-cashflow investment properties and use of independent buyer agent/advocate services, what are the other ways we can use to avoid being caught in the same negative home equity situation again in our future property investment again?

6. One way to minimise our investment risk, we think, is to diversify into investing inter-state into the Perth property market, which is presently in its initial upswing stage, aswe have been told;- although the Perth market may not rise as fast and as high a boom as that in the Goldcoast, Melbourne or Sdyney property markets. Does this make more investment sense? Will be experienced investors/forummers, please comment.

7. Can the more experienced investors and forumers, please also comment about having to choose between investing in a new 5 year old 90% owner-occupied suburb growing at a low 5.1% long term annual growth rate and a A$241,390 median house sale price and median weekly rental rate of A$230 per week at Canningvale (15 km east of Perth CBD) vis-a-vis investing in a 30-years- old outer ocean-front Rockingham suburb (40km south of Perth CDB) with 70% occupied ownership and median sale price of A$133,000 and median weekly rental rate of A$120 per week, which is fast-changing/developing. Its 2001/2002 annual capital growth rate was reported to be 17.2% in one single year;-. Whereas its long term annual capital appreciation rate has been increased to 10.7% since 2001 onwards, from its previous long term 7.4 annual growth rate since 1971, 6.4.% annual growth rate since 1981 and 4.3% annual growth rate since 1991, as shown by REIWA data.

8. Thank you very much.

Kenkoh2000

Back