to repair or replace?

Hi all,

I have a property where the stove top is on the blink. basically the knobs for 2 of the 4 burners dont work - its gas and they had a gas leak when discovering one didnt work.

i have called the manufacturer, as its the metal parts underneath the knob which is gone, to get a replacement and you need to use their authorised tech's. Basically it is going to cost me ~ $350 to get the guy to come out, check it over, supply and install the parts.

Alternatively I could get a new 600mm x 500mm cooktop for ~ $300 + $130 for install.

So it is $350 to service and repair a 5-7 year old fysher and pykal, or ~ $430 for a new cooktop installed.

I will be moving into this property in the next financial year as well, so was going to get this out of the way now.

Cheers,

Ben

Go New

I am a electrician and repair my own stoves.
However if a stove / oven or cooktop is over 5 years old, i really do the maths.
For a electric stove at 5 years old a element may go. $80 wholesale then my free time to install it. 3 mths later a control simerstat goes. $40 & my time. Another month later the oven control goes. $ 70 to $120 to replace & my time.Over 2 years you can almost spend the cost of a new stove in parts :(
So basically if the stove is 5 yrs + old nowdays I just replace it. Write off the old one through depreciation. Then have another 5 years of no problems.
I can only imagine the full cost if I was paying service calls at $70 plus labour :eek:

BEL, IN THE BIN, Get a new one ! the time that you posted you may have a new stove top now, headeachs, headeachs, and more if you keep it?

My PI manager just called me this arvo, saying that my oven broke down ... again.

4 heating element failed due to water damage.
I've spent $300 to fix it last time so im thinking of buying new appliance.

In terms of tax, will this be considered as repair or replacement ?
I also have landlord insurance. Can I claim it ?

If you replace the entire item, it's not a repair. So you have to depreciate the new stove. But it sounds like it's time to get a new one.

Back