Today's new wealth tax

No one is saying we should not pay the taxes. What we are saying is that due to Labor waste and ineptitude, we'll unnecessarily have to pay a lot more taxes than would have otherwise been the case.

:confused:

The complaints defintitley sounded like people not wanting to pay the taxes to me..... that's hwy I thought othes have suggetsed the cmpalints sounded a little lik WHINGING....

Of course nonone said they suggest NOT PAYOING them, cause that's illegal -but you knew that...

You KNEW how crap Loabour has been for ages right, what did you ecxpect ? Why are you wcting surprised ?

Perhaps, I am not alone in not udnerstanding things and only working it out when somehting affects me....... then of course, I would pretend that I knew that all along syaign things usch as " Labour said climate change is real.. therefore they shoudl have been budgeting extra for this flood " as if I expect people to believe that I am being serious :D

actually no, the levy is to be used for infrastructure items such as roads, bridges, railway lines. The sort of things needed to allow QLd to generate money again, through mining for example. It has actually been stated that this is not for the uninsured

" It is important that she stress early and stress often that the money raised by the levy will go towards building bridges, roads and rail lines that were destroyed, not providing disaster relief and helping the uninsured, as some mistakenly think." http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politics/for-gillard-the-soft-sell-begins-here-20110127-1a6hb.html?from=brisbanetimes_ft

EDIT: this also applies to those with the plasma tv argument.

yay - a dose of common sense.

maybe my prayers have been answered after all.....

Moving on from Toekn's post - those of you that think this is 'unfair' - I have a proposition for you. You stop claiming tax deductions on your investments, your income, everything. You pay full tax on everything. THEN you can complain about about this 'unfair' 'disgusting' levy.

Awesome isn't it?

I pay an absolute BUCKET LOAD on many different types of insurances every year to make sure I'm covered in pretty much every way possible. Now I get to kick in to a levy for those who don't pay insurance. [/B]
Whilst the $ figure isn't that big a deal, the principle really irks me. Maybe I should just cancel all my policies and put my hand out if anything ever happens. :confused:

Like you said bluestorm, nobody's whinging about donating./ helping, just the mis mangement of money !!

Moving on from Toekn's post - those of you that think this is 'unfair' - I have a proposition for you. You stop claiming tax deductions on your investments, your income, everything. You pay full tax on everything. THEN you can complain about about this 'unfair' 'disgusting' levy.

Oh, I'll be sure to find even more deductions. Why give the government more tax when they waste it anyway.

Mark, when they stop handing out money to bludgers, then come back and argue. Now even when your not insured, don't worry, the Robin Hood government will fork out to help you. The middle and high income earners have plenty of cash.
Maybe if they didn't waste money of people who did not insure (like the rest of us), then they would have more for infrastructure as needed.

Flood assistance available for uninsured

"Essential Household Contents Grants of up to $5120 may also be available to eligible low-income families to help with the replacement or repair of uninsured, essential household contents which have been lost, damaged or destroyed by flooding.

"Further assistance is also available to help repair owner-occupied, uninsured residences damaged by flooding, with means tested Structural Assistance Grants of up to $10,500 for individuals and $14,200 for families."

Yeah, right... I might as well understand what I'm talking about before I say stuffif I'm gonna go that far ! :D

Oh, I'll be sure to find even more deductions. Why give the government more tax when they waste it anyway.

Mark, when they stop handing out money to bludgers, then come back and argue. Now even when your not insured, don't worry, the Robin Hood government will fork out to help you. The middle and high income earners have plenty of cash.

Flood assistance available for uninsured

So the whole system is perfectly fair, except for things that we don't like !!!
Maybe you guys do understand this stuff better than I do, pretty easy... but wow, so many of you are so certain of what you know etc , I never realised I was that far behind.....l

Deal - so long as we all get taxed at the same rate.

No deal. The offer is only for people who are more than happy to take concessions from taxpayers when it suits them, then complain about paying a small amount of additional tax to help rebuild a large part of the country suffering from a natural disaster.

No deal. The offer is only for people who are more than happy to take concessions from taxpayers when it suits them, then complain about paying a small amount of additional tax to help rebuild a large part of the country suffering from a natural disaster.

The difference is, that even with the tax concessions, many of us pay more in household combined tax than the average yearly income of the majority of the population. So we still pay more than our fair share.

But I agree with FormerLurker. Have a flat rate of tax (like Singapore at 15%), and get rid of deductions. That way everyone pays the same.

Sickens me listening to Gillard's go on about the "mates" tax. If we are all "mates" of QLD, why aren't the low income earners "mates" as well?

Those two things (claiming deductions and this new levy) are not related. Your post makes no sense.

I'm very sorry for the victims of the floods (and wish them all the best going forwards). But this new levy is nuts. The harder you work the more you get slapped in the face in this country. After you build up a modest passive income there is almost no point to keep on working hard. Why not just charge a flat $x on every income earner over say $50k or whatever it is. Or not introduce a levy and borrow whats needed.

I completely agree with bluestorm (though it wouldn't kill him to be more tactful).

As an aside, what's with the sneer about "masses". Have the majority of Australian's offended you somehow?

No. I'm just saying I don't really care what the masses think, because if their their opinions were that intelligent they wouldn't be, well, the masses. As an aside, I love the masses. How else to differentiate yourself?

Anyway I just realised that the RBA may delay interest rate rises because of this tax hike. So in other words, by paying a little bit of money each week, I can probably hold off much $$$ per month from leaking out of my pocket as interest payments. Seems like the Labor Govt has somehow managed to get the masses to subsidise heavily-geared property investors. Thank you PM, pass more investor-friendly policies please.

As usual Labor thought they shafted the investors and helped the masses. But once again, the investors benefit at the expense of the masses, if only the masses realised. I'm sure they'll keep voting Labor after being shafted over and over again.

...this new levy is nuts. The harder you work the more you get slapped in the face in this country. After you build up a modest passive income there is almost no point to keep on working hard.

Dang!, unfortunately just a tad late for an Oscar's nomination for Best Dramatic Performance, you might have been in with a shot....

Geez.....people have become a nation of wingers.....a 0.5% tax increases...and everyone whinges. Remember it only applies to people who earn more than 50k.

So cop it sweet....and get on with it.....!!!

Exactly. Would it hurt all you whingers so much to attempt to remember the exact point of the levy and why it's been put into place, and respect the benefits it is going to generate for those less fortunate than yourselves ? The whingeing about what is a relatively paltry amount is painful.

I agree with Gordon and sasha and Mark etc

BUT

I keep remembering

that complaining about politicians is pretty important a past time for the masses....

then of course, I remember how different we are from the masses.... and realise that could possibly be case here... knee jerk complaining... of course not..... bloody politicians....

Exactly. Would it hurt all you whingers so much to attempt to remember the exact point of the levy and why it's been put into place, and respect the benefits it is going to generate for those less fortunate than yourselves ? The whingeing about what is a relatively paltry amount is painful.

I think you have totally missed the point in some regards. Yes some people are just complaining about more tax BUT many people aren't merely doing this.

I'm sure most of us agree that the $ have to be spent on rebuilding. I'm sure most of us agree that we need to help those affected by such a horrible natural disaster. I for one, am 100% for the government committing to rebuilding the affected areas, HOWEVER, I do not agree with HOW the government is doing it through imposing an additional tax.

It isn't about whinging & it isn't about spending the $, it is about holding the government to account on economic management or the lack thereof... are we that blind around here??? :rolleyes:

Reactions: weg
Actually Mark Laszczuk, I'm starting to like the Gillard "flood" tax. It will be a well spent $5/wk to watch Labor implode again.:). Grab the popcorn, and watch the show. I can hear the knives being sharpened in Canberra already.
So yeah Mark now a champion for the tax. We need to help out our fellow QLD mates who have suffered so much.

ALP's revolt over the flood tax

FURIOUS Labor MPs have turned on Prime Minister Julia Gillard over the controversial $1.8 billion flood tax, labelling it one of the "dumbest decisions" by a federal government.

As Ms Gillard embarked on a publicity offensive to sell the $5.6 billion flood rescue package, senior Labor figures were shaking their heads at the lack of consultation with Cabinet.

It is understood ministers only received a full briefing on the rescue package a few hours before they met in Canberra on Wednesday morning.

Ministers were so angry Ms Gillard - who was monstered during several media appearances yesterday - treated Cabinet with "contempt" that some were drawing an unfavourable parallel with the behaviour of Kevin Rudd.

I think you have totally missed the point in some regards. Yes some people are just complaining about more tax BUT many people aren't merely doing this.

I'm sure most of us agree that the $ have to be spent on rebuilding. I'm sure most of us agree that we need to help those affected by such a horrible natural disaster. I for one, am 100% for the government committing to rebuilding the affected areas, HOWEVER, I do not agree with HOW the government is doing it through imposing an additional tax.

It isn't about whinging & it isn't about spending the $, it is about holding the government to account on economic management or the lack thereof... are we that blind around here??? :rolleyes:

There's still water in homes and people are missing, and a levy that is intended to assist people less fortunate than others is already being written off as being mismanaged before it's even started. The way some members are conveying their thoughts by politicising the matter, showing a distinct lack of discretion, heart and tact, and proving to all and sundry that ultimately they are simply greedy is the pathetic I'm talking about.

There's still water in homes and people are missing, and a levy that is intended to assist people less fortunate than others is already being written off as being mismanaged before it's even started. The way some members are conveying their thoughts by politicising the matter, showing a distinct lack of discretion, heart and tact, and proving to all and sundry that ultimately they are simply greedy is the pathetic I'm talking about.

No Gordon. The flood victims are just one of the many groups that need assistance in society. We are not all fixated on the latest media hype (maybe 20 people died - less people that from a flu in a year). Some of us support other areas that don't get constant media coverage.

But we would like a choice as to who we support. The reason that this "flood" tax has backfired on Gillard, is that that choice was taken away. Many people also see the waste of money by the Labor government, and are annoted that now the government needs to come for a handout for more money.

For me, I donate to the medical areas (breast cancer, etc), having had family touched by it.

Some of you just follow the crowd and support whatever is "hot" at the time.

Back