Too many options and I need help. Thanks :)

Hi Guys,

I have read this forum for years and I don't ask many questions because usually I can read my gut feeling and intuition. I am feeling a bit lost at the moment and would like to ask for some advice and clarity about my next purchase.

Situation: I am preapproved for $135,000 however I really do not want to spend that much. What I do know is that I want to purchase for positive cashflow. Below are some of the issues that I have been thinking about:

* I would preferably like to purchase 2 x properties which are positive geared. I know I am looking in very rural areas and more than likely not major towns. I am not too worried about Capital gain in these areas. What concerns me more is a lot of these areas could face a downturn if mining or agriculture industries collapse. Also these properties are generally pretty run down and I don't want to purchase a property which could require a lot of maintenance or renovations. The other thing I am thinking about with these areas are that if I buy and hold, they could be up to 100 years old in 20-30 years.

* Trying to find 2 properties to purchase within my limit is going to be challenging.

* If I purchase 1 property closer to my limit, it probably will not present a ROI as high as a cheaper property.

* I don't mind buying a property that requires basic renovation ie: carpet, kitchen, bathroom and painting but a lot of the cheaper houses could have structural issues, if not now... in the future. Also if I shell out on a basic reno, in these areas... it will not add too much to the value.

* I would prefer to buy close to or located in major towns but this is near impossible with the limit I have. There are 100's of options in quite rural areas available within the limit but I have no idea where to start or what I am exactly looking for other than a good return on investment.

Sorry about the longwinded above but I thought I would just type as it came into my head.

I guess my main question is: Would you buy just because it presents a good yield but it could be a crap of a house or would you take a lower yield but a better property?

Any thoughts on the matter would be very appreciated. Thanks

I also instinctively thought of broken hill. Very cheap properties, yield can be quite high.

Having said that I wouldnt be expecting much in the way of growth over the next few years. The place was doing bad, before the mining downturn -I'm sure that it would be worse now (although some would argue it is the perfect opportunity to buy...).

Btw if you are buying neutral- cash flow positive property, u can buy first property at 135k and then your brrowing capacity should still be around 100k+ depending on which bank . Thus u might be able to look for better quality properties and possibly buy more than 2 if u choose broken hill?

Only thing that limits u is equity/ cash. Perhaps u can borrow 90++% lvr and capitalise the lmi?

Cheers

Back