Toowoomba or Rockingham WA

Hi, Looking for a long term hold IP, upto $350K,
I like rockingham but concerned I have missed the boat, Looking for CG but would want a 5% Gross yield minimum. Would Toowoomba, be a better long term ( 8+ years to hold)
Sugestions greatly appreciated

"Toowoomba or Rockingham WA" - I wish I have enough to buy in both areas :p

I don't have any personal experience.... but based on what I've read both are good places to go in.

"Toowoomba or Rockingham WA" - I wish I have enough to buy in both areas :p

I don't have any personal experience.... but based on what I've read both are good places to go in.

If you go Rockingham, Cooloongup will provide the best yields and lower entry level for Rockingham.

Any areas closer to the beach will cost more.

I don't believe you have missed the boat, infact I think it may be good timing. I am sure you know Perth is going gangbusters and you will be fighting with the herd, I believe Rockingham is starting to move and it will be easier to purchase a property.

I know nothing about Toowoomba so can not comment.

Good luck

MTR

Rockingham took a hit and the excess supply is now being taken up, so the timing would be perfect to jump in

Some of rockingham has already moved a fair bit - Hillman for example. Interestingly, Waikiki, Cooloongup and Warnbro hasn't moved a whole lot yet - but I think its that excess supply being eaten up in those areas.

Am I missing something when I say that rockingham sounds like Perths version of Frankston?

Over 40km from CBD
Nice beaches
Mostly bad reputation but nice houses in beach areas

My Mate lived there for a bit and didn't really rate it

Why is there so much interest in the area on here? Is it because it's affordable?

I bought just down the road from rockingham (Secret harbour) I got a house less than 800m from the ocean for $390,000 getting 480pw in rent, Its only a matter of time before it starts to move down there. Mine was less of an investment as i will eventually move down there.

Seaside location; affordable prices; employment nodes nearby; naval base;
new Perth-to-Mandurah rail link; nomination as regional hub for southern Perth;
$160 million expansion of Rockingham City Shopping Centre;
approval for 2 major marina-based developments at Rockingham

I bought just down the road from rockingham (Secret harbour) I got a house less than 800m from the ocean for $390,000 getting 480pw in rent, Its only a matter of time before it starts to move down there. Mine was less of an investment as i will eventually move down there.

Well done, good value.
Areas along the southern corridor got hammered badly, hopefully you will see some growth soon.

Am I missing something when I say that rockingham sounds like Perths version of Frankston?

Over 40km from CBD
Nice beaches
Mostly bad reputation but nice houses in beach areas

My Mate lived there for a bit and didn't really rate it

Why is there so much interest in the area on here? Is it because it's affordable?

There may be some similarities however Rockingham has 3 times the population of Frankston.

I also think Rockingham's reputation as Bogansville is changing quite dramatically, developers are jumping in and building massive beachfront apartments, there are now some quality resturants spread out on the foreshore.

Bricklin has also mentioned some great reasons why this area would make a good long term buy.

Cheers, MTR

Thanks everyone, as always great feedback, much appreciated. I like safety bay, Waikiki and warnbro especially so we will see how we go.

I also had a look at safety bay, The way i see it. In 10 years property near the ocean is just going be so hard to get. I grew up living on the ocean and i want my kids to aswell. Just gotta make a few more dollars in Kalgoorlie and im outta here haha.

I very much like Safety Bay, most beautiful beaches, a visit will not disappoint:)

if you live in the anchorage /shoalwater area of rockingham you have the choice of 3 beaches a few minutes away... choice of north, west or south facing so you can always find a calm beach. that's pretty unusual for WA, the only other populated alternatives I can think of are Dunsborough (north and east facing) and Augusta (West and east). West is generally useless unless you are an early riser!

if you live in the anchorage /shoalwater area of rockingham you have the choice of 3 beaches a few minutes away... choice of north, west or south facing so you can always find a calm beach. that's pretty unusual for WA, the only other populated alternatives I can think of are Dunsborough (north and east facing) and Augusta (West and east). West is generally useless unless you are an early riser!

Hi Aus
Yes, I know my partner lived in Palm Beach when I met him, all this and an affordable price tag for the moment:)

Back