Top Design - Wednesday night

I feel like decorating pretend rooms (like the first week of the Block) and shipping containers that will never be used is SUCH a waste. I'm sure there are plenty of needy people and organisations out there that would love to have their homes and offices renovated or redecorated as part of these shows.

Couldn't you say the same for television drama sets, live theatre production sets, presentation displays in shop windows, and - come to think of it - the entire women's fashion industry?

I liked Top Design and I like The Block for two reasons.

1. The design, reno, build etc.

2. And the contestants reactions to catalysts.

Re: Top Design, IMHO it is very hard to be put together in a pair and instructed to TRUST your partner who you have only meet, then the time pressure at having to build and shop out of your comfort zone.

I felt sorry for the judges as there was IMHO 3 who should have been eliminated on the first night especially the contestant who was over budget by 4K.

Anyway for me the shows are a welcome change from the game shows and the sports on TV. The one thing they have in common is they are all competitions.

Now if I was a contestant I could design, plan and shop and I would leave hubby to do the noisy, physical work.

Regards
Sheryn

Thumbs down from me. So are they allowed to go over budget, is it a rule or isn't it? The ghastly chair that was apparently $3500 must have done it! Did the items not have prices on??? I found the show's format very messy and confusing and it was all very ugly.

Now I'm waiting for the Renovators.

NEXT!

'Breaking Bad' resumes season 4 this weekend in the US and will be ripe for downloading (not that I condone illegal downloading).

If you're looking for a creative way to make money this show is very eye opening (not that I condone drug dealing either).

What's wrong with drug dealing :confused:

Yeah Jamie's had it , turned into Mr Hollywood these days.
They're all unbearable I reckon.

Tried that English one , accept I can't remember it's damn name , something designs - think ! It's got that pompus Pom Architect guy , there's a mouthful - following around other pompus poms, while they turn old barns and stuff into houses.

At least they do something different though.

Cheers

Yeah Jamie's had it , turned into Mr Hollywood these days.
They're all unbearable I reckon.

Tried that English one , accept I can't remember it's damn name , something designs - think ! It's got that pompus Pom Architect guy , there's a mouthful - following around other pompus poms, while they turn old barns and stuff into houses.

At least they do something different though.

Cheers

Grand designs? wow I love that show and don't find him pompous at all.

Each to their own I guess.

Yeah, I'm hanging out for The Renovators too. Does anyone know when it starts? They've been advertising it as coming soon for about a month now. Very annoying!

Now if I was a contestant I could design, plan and shop and I would leave hubby to do the noisy, physical work.

wish I could join the show just by myself ... reckon I'd get a ton more work done if I didn't have to consult and compromise!

I would love to go one with hubby if I could do the design and shopping, as he is hopeless. Problem is that he thinks he is entitled to an input and demands his ideas be considered ... when his ideas are just soooo outdated and simply awful!

Oh dear - Top Design is worse! Jamie! I expected so much better from you :(
Don't set your sights too high Lizzie - you'll be sorely disappointed.

My sister got 'blitzed' a couple of years ago so I had the opportunity to observe him for quite a few hours and I can tell you he's an arrogant a$$eh*le. He arrived and left in heavily tinted windows so he wouldn't be recognised and bothered. His efforts towards making the blitz happen is all staged - he does sod all. He made ZERO contact with his 'adoring' public (who made him famous in the first place), and were there to watch the blitz happening, and he is one of those people who turns to the camera with a big smile and it literally disappears like a tap turning on and off as he's turning his head away from the camera. He just came, did his thing and went without so much as a wave, a hello or goodbye - no-one else even exited!

Don't set your sights too high Lizzie - you'll be sorely disappointed.

My sister got 'blitzed' a couple of years ago so I had the opportunity to observe him for quite a few hours and I can tell you he's an arrogant a$$eh*le. He arrived and left in heavily tinted windows so he wouldn't be recognised and bothered. His efforts towards making the blitz happen is all staged - he does sod all. He made ZERO contact with his 'adoring' public (who made him famous in the first place), and were there to watch the blitz happening, and he is one of those people who turns to the camera with a big smile and it literally disappears like a tap turning on and off as he's turning his head away from the camera. He just came, did his thing and went without so much as a wave, a hello or goodbye - no-one else even exited!

Wow I'm surprised to hear that. He was really lovely when I met him at a Manpower performance. Seemed really down to earth and my friends and I got a great photo with him and the rest of the performers.

Wow I'm surprised to hear that. He was really lovely when I met him at a Manpower performance. Seemed really down to earth and my friends and I got a great photo with him and the rest of the performers.
Keep in mind he was stripping for a living then and it was part of his job to be nice and friendly and pose for the camera with the audience. Then again maybe that was way back when he was still 'normal' and 'stardom' hadn't gone to his head.

Finally watched last weeks episode ... and surprisingly it wasn't as bad as the impression it gave from me catching the last 10 minutes.

I thought the guy to leave (Craig) was unlucky because they obviously had a slack-assed carpenter with no brains ... only had to compare what he did compared to the carpenter next door.

In fairness to those who went over budget - yes - whooping mistake but they could have come on budget with same styling/design but by choosing cheaper options (like NOT $3,000 chairs and forgo the umbrella).

The pully bed was a good idea and would've work brilliantly if attached with proper industrial pulley system (don't know why they didn't) such as used to open big roller doors etc ... and the modular decking was inspirational.

Much better than the block.

One thing about the first episode is that all started with the same size container to improve the design which did make it a level playing field.

Looking forward to tonight's episode.

I hope 10's new programmme The Renovators' isn't on at the same time as 9's programmes. :D

Cheers
Sheryn

The Renovator's - 8.30 Sunday.

Yay 'cause Downton Abbey has just finished and needed something to fill the gap before Escape to the Country.

Poor hubby - he "tolerates" reno shows, and our tele viewing is consumed by them!

I know it's easy to be an armchair critic - but - these people call themselves designers?

The winning room was very well done (despite their differences) - but the other two were pathetic. They just didn't listen at all to what the client wanted.

The joint client room looked like somewhere a homeless person would live - and one bed between two guys? Don't think so! The fold down beds in the other rooms were great - or even bunk beds made up like day beds would have been better than a single sofa bed. Sorry, but this room was the worst imo.

The surfie guys room? He very clearly stated his favourite colour was orange and that he would like to see a lot of this colour. My immediate thought was to paint one entire wall in a tangerine/yellow cool orange, the other walls in white and have white furniture with bright red, yellow and blue cushions. This room also looked very bland and empty. Could pick from miles off that Mary was going home - she just stood back, was not involved, except when insisting on a colour scheme that was NOT what the client specified.

Okay ... so I'm finding this show better than the block. I also know it's easy to judge form a distance - but I do think that the two losing room missed some vital fundamentals.

Hope they do better next week.

I watched TD for the first time tonight. Good for a laugh and less drawn out than The Block. I found it interesting...interesting that it doesn't seem to make one difference what a client specifies if the 'designers' are trying to stand out on their own in an effort to take the glory. Although I suppose this makes for better television.

Here's what I thought;

First room: Crap. Can't believe that the guy who decided on the ugly wall border-thingy won. What WAS that? It looked like there had been a strong wind in the room and all the old papers and other rubbish had blown and stuck to the bottom of the walls.

Second Room (surfie/life saver guy): Hmmm. Was he really secretly female? It looked like Gidget's room. Too feminine and where was the orange he stated that he loved? Bad decisions.

Third Room (for the comedians): OK...if you like the 'we source our furniture from the council dump' look. Tacky and cheap and not practical (who can stay awake for 48 hours until it's their turn to have the bed?) and...was that thick black artline texta that featured prominently on the walls :eek:. How someone from this team was not voted off is a mystery to me.

*sighs* BUT, of course I'm hooked and will be watching it again next week. :D

I only saw this show for the first time tonight and even then only briefly as it just didnt capture my attention :rolleyes: BUT I have to say hugely dissapointed. There was a design show on last year of the year before where they were all competing AS interior designers. It was great. I thought this show was going to be more a spin off of this but it didnt seem to be.

Not a fan. Dare I say it i think i prefer THE BLOCK!

Back