Touristy 'must do' things in & around Perth?

Hi
We are heading to Perth for 5 days in a couple of weeks so I guess we had better start planning!

We have booked a campervan so we can have a bit of a look around but have no idea where to go & what to do. We arrive mid afternoon on a Saturday & due to flight changes by the airline, are now catching the redeye back on the following Wednesday night.

Keeping in mind my partner is a wine lover & I love taking photos of buildings & landscapes, can anyone give us some hints & share their favorite spots with us?

Cheers
Stella

In the Swan Valley Sandalford and Black Swan are really pretty and worth a visit. You pay for the views so maybe have afternoon tea there. Chesters has best reputation for best food. Oasis is really yummy food and decently priced. MASH BREWERY has best beers and yummy food. Even their chips are delicious. Beer battered with yummy mayonaise.
http://www.swanvalley.com.au/en/default.htm

If your into birds Point Reserve at Bassendean is like a massive birdcage.

Take a river cruise from the city to Fremantle. Freo has great atmosphere for a meal and few wines. Good breweries too. You'll probably get a few interesting photos too.

Take a drive around the most expensive suburbs along the river.

Sunset at Cottesloe is nice.

Last edited:
For some river views take train from Perth Esplanade Station to at least Bull Creek. Get off at Rockingham and get the shuttle bus to Rockinham Beach or do same at Mandurah. If walking along the beach it's better to walk north to south instead of south to north to avoid looking into the sun.

Timetables are a bit restrictive, but the Avon Link and Prospector train follow the Avon River towards Toodyay and Northam (Toodyay and York are quite historic).

There are good city views from the hills - try Mundaring, Lesmurdie and Kalamunda area.

Hire some bikes and cycle around the Swan and Canning Rivers. You could also walk - slower but with the advantage that you don't have to return a bike and can get a bus to Perth or Fremantle if you get tired.

Further afield is Bunbury, Busselton and Margaret River - at the latter there are caves, wineries and overpriced food.

No good taking photos of the city skyscape, there's too many building cranes in the way :D

Margaret River (since you have the campervan) would seem like a must to visit ?

Margaret River

Kings Park is also another must for the views

How about a chopper ride around Perth ?

HeliWest

Also search the forum, this topic has come up a couple of times

PS:
INVSTOR's post has made me hungry :(

Also for the $3 fare, who'd pass up a ferry ride across the Swan River from Barrack Street jetty to South Perth. There's the zoo there and a bit of a cafe strip.

When I visit a new city I like to visit it's zoo. Being from Perth the Perth Zoo
is rather nice.

I also love to visit the vineyards of the swan valley and Margaret River

Thanks guys - some great ideas so far.

We have penciled in ;Margaret River, Fremantle,Kings Park so far. I'd like to change direction & head to the Pinnacles if we can too.
I love driving (maybe not as much in a campervan tho?) so distance isnt going to be a concern either.

Cheers
Stella

if you are going to margaret river be sure to take the road out to Bunker Bay - drive down the road past Meelup Beach and check out Eagle Bay. On a sunny day it is hard to argue that this is not some of the best coastline anywhere in Oz. tho Esperance takes some beating too.

then drive to canal rocks

The Aquarium at Hillarys Boat Harbour and the Perth Mint gold pour are definate "tourist" things to do. Didn't get to the zoo but that sounds like a great idea too.

There is a visitors information bureau near the train station in town that will give you plenty of ideas too.

Oh and if you feel brave visit Northbridge at night to see tourists and police get bashed and stabbed :(

Can't believe you can still do something like that in Australia the way insurance and litigation and crap is.

See ya's.

TC, unfortunately you can't climb the big tree anymore, according to my olds that were down that way a few weeks back. Apparently the "ladder" is no lomger safe or something...

Boods

TC, unfortunately you can't climb the big tree anymore, according to my olds that were down that way a few weeks back. Apparently the "ladder" is no lomger safe or something...

Boods

tHANK goodness it's not just me! I'm sure it was unsafe 14 yrs ago, maybe not but it looked pretty scarey.

By the way, a tour to seal and penguin Islands is pretty amazing too. Via Shoalwater.

Last edited:
Computer died last week & only just came home today so sorry for the late response to all of these great suggestions!
We head off tomorrow & so far have decided to do Margaret River, The Pinnacles, Rottnest Island, Fremantle, Kings Park, The Mint ( i sorta collect coins so woohoo).

We dont want to come back exhausted & I already think I am coming down with the flu (not the hog wog tho) so that list may change.

Thanks again for the great ideas! If any Perth forumites see a Britz camper going around in circles madly rushing around give us a wave!!

Cheers
Stella

oh my god - you're in for some driving.

If you're driving down to Margaret River, head out to Prevelly for a few nights to wind down. Look up the internet for "the beach house" - it's a 3 bed home for about $170pn a short stroll from the best "down south" brekky there is.

While you're in Margs, head out to the chocolate factory and round the corner to "Provence" - a fresh produce producer with a fully organic veggie patch and a chook pen bigger than my block by the beach....:(

- while you're there you'll pass a site that i've designed some chalets for with an RE agents sign -

Since you're also out that way, Xanadu have some good tasting, as do Vasse Felix, Deep Wood, Moss Bros and you may even enjoy Amberley.

Take care on caves rd and don't be a hero. sit 10-15k under the speed limit if you're not used to it.

enjoy the region. :)

Back