Train Line - How Close is too Close?

We all know you need to be careful buying property near a train / rail line.

I looked at a house the other week, it was nice, below market $ but over the back fence 3m from the house was a busy suburban train line !! (No freight, but still high frequency electric trains!!)

Obviously this is not good for re-sale or capital gains,etc. Cross that one of the list for sure!!!

Previously I lived 340m from a train line, I couldn't ever really hear it (only when the wind was blowing a certain way) and it never bothered me.

Now Im looking at a property where a dual train line is about to be built 240m away from it, yeah its got a good 4 blocks away from the station, but will that degrade the value of it, or be a disturbance? How close is too close? It will be about 1.2km from the actual station which is good/bad - good because you can't hear the train brakes or horn but also downside is less convenient further distance to get to station.

Just wondering what everyones thought's are!

Noise is only one aspect. My biggest concerns would be the route with the most foot traffic leading to and from the station, or a backyard backing on to a track near a station.

Depending on the suburb, both of these could pose problems with late night disturbances (roudy drunks:p), vandalism and theft.

Over the fence is way too close!

I lived over the fence from a train line.. I'm deaf and I could hear the train. You get used to it after a while I guess, but a few blocks away would be much better IMO.

Places on the train line are generally cheaper than those a few streets away.

Take Meadowbank (Sydney) for example. Units in Bank st are cheaper (buy and rent) than places in Meadow cres.

[it was nice, below market $]
[Obviously this is not good for re-sale or capital gains,etc. Cross that one of the list for sure!!!

Hi Dammit

The capital gains on the house I bought right on a noisy line have gone up just the same as the others in my suburb. Not expecting any problems if I was to sell as it will still be cheaper than houses a few streets away, but it is noisy ... dammit

Back