Travancore

Hi all have been looking around Essendon/Moonee Ponds for my first IP and stumbled accross Travancore and in particular a street that both my partner and myself fell in love with (Mooltan St). It is a beautiful tree lined, quiet street however we have found that there are an unusual amount of houses for sale in the street. Does anybody know why? i know it is pretty close to the highway but im not sure if this has anything to do with it ie;noise at night etc

Might be worth parling up on the street for a few hours in the evening, particularly late on a Friday or Saturday, just to check that it's not being used by hoons, drunks, etc.

Having just looked at in on Street View, it's clearly not a hoon street (thanks to speed bumps) and there can't be too many drunks in Travencore.

What about noise from Citylink? Also, that's right by the tooth pick, might there be light pollution at night? Lots of mozzies from the ponds at the base of the tooth pick? (I'm just clutching at straws here)

What about the hospital at the back of the houses? Goodle Maps lists it as Royal childrens Hospital Mental Health Service. Obviously mental health hospitals aren't the horror stories they were many years ago, but maybe that's an issue?

I've wondered for a while whether Travencore values suffer due to the name - Travencore just doesn't strike me as nice a name as Moonee Ponds, Ascot Vale, Parkville, etc Just a thought...

Wow! Travencore! I'd never heard of it... you learn something everyday!:eek:

It's one of those obscure suburb/locality names, like Coatesville, Bennettswood, Cremorne, Greythorn, Pennydale, Cromer, Whitburn, Glengala, Pender, Faversham, Crimea, Jacana, Harrisfield, and even, according to my 1970 Melway, Tally Ho!

Travancore is great. I have a property there which I've both lived in and rented out. I've never had any trouble getting suitable tenants and they've never had any complaints.

Light & noise pollution have never been an issue for me. The nearby hockey pitch is sometimes lit up at night and you can hear the matches going on sometimes, but as noises go that's not an unpleasant one and it's not really intrusive. The only irritation I ever had with the area was a noisy, early-rising wattle bird. Horrible bird.

One other downer about the area that may affect prices - the new development of overpriced and probably poky and badly built apartments on Flemington Road called 'Travancore on the Park' or something. They're just around the corner and I think they're a monstrosity we could do without.

Otherwise, though, Travancore is a beautiful area with a lot of attractive art deco homes and Mooltan St is a lovely leafy street very close to the city. I admit there are often properties for sale in that pocket - & I don't know why - but I've noticed that about Kensington too, for many years, and they're both areas that I still like a lot, to live in or invest.

In terms of investment value, my property in Travancore went up about 25% in 3 years (2005-2008). Not sure how good/bad that is cause I'm pretty new to investing. :eek:

Back