Troublesome tenant/ex owner

Hi everyone,

I bought a block of flats and shop in January and currently the shop is leased to the ex owner. I have had nothing but trouble from her. The latest drama is that her undrivable van is parked smack bang in the middle of the only driveway preventing tenants and tradesmen from parking. As it is on a busy road this is a real hassle. Yes I have asked her a million times to move it. I also know that a note was left in her office stating that if she didn't move it it would be towed away. The flat that she was renting from me is vacant and I feel that it is stopping people from renting as they see a problem with parking.

I have stated in the lease that all tenants can have one vehicle parked on site. This is not her only vehicle, she has another van that she uses for the shop.

Also when I visited the property the other day, I noticed that she (presumably) had stolen some large cement pavers. Surely this is theft? Nothing in the contract about taking them away. I'm pissed off that she can come and go thinking that she still has the run of the property.

Should I call the police. I am sick of having to deal with her.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

V

I have stated in the lease that all tenants can have one vehicle parked on site.
If she signed off on that lease - get it towed away :cool:

Also when I visited the property the other day, I noticed that she (presumably) had stolen some large cement pavers. Surely this is theft?
It might be theft but did you see her doing it? If not - no proof - it could be anybody.

I'm pissed off that she can come and go thinking that she still has the run of the property.
Some past owners now leasing their old probably feel that way :confused:

Should I call the police.
About your missing pavers? If you like - report the theft. Don't expect they'll put too much resources into it though.
About her behaviour? I don't think they'll be in interested in the slightest. Police do not enforce commercial lease conditions AFAIK.

I am sick of having to deal with her.
Maybe you are not cut out to self-manage? Maybe seek to terminate her lease when you are allowed to with regard to the lease conditions. Or perhaps use a Managing Agent and let them deal with the day to day issues.

use a Managing Agent and let them deal with the day to day issues.

Yeah, a bit like this ;

"Hi, I am 'insert name' from 'insert really expensive PM agency' and I am calling to let you know that the Tenant has done 'insert something'.

What do you want us to do about it ??"

That's the thing, I'm not self managing. She won't listen to anybody! I will tell the managing agents about the theft but I don't think they will do anything. She still rings the agents that I bought the property off so I could have a chat to them and see if they can talk some sense into her. (good luck :mad:)

Yeah, a bit like this ;

"Hi, I am 'insert name' from 'insert really expensive PM agency' and I am calling to let you know that the Tenant has done 'insert something'.

What do you want us to do about it ??"

If that is what your PM does, its time to give them the boot and find yourself a new PM, they are obviously taking you for a ride! No wonder you hate resi property.

BIG T

Thanks for replies guys.

I have asked the managing agent to speak to her AGAIN. If it is still there when I next go over, I will ask the council to see if I can tow it as an abandoned vehicle.

I just hope she doesn't give me trouble.

cheers

V

Back