Trusts not protecting assetts in divorce

How can i find the links with precedents that show that trusts are not safe to protect assetts in divorce. I found one small thread but i know there are many more comprehensive ones with precedents talked about in them.

Thank you.
Jason

How can i find the links with precedents that show that trusts are not safe to protect assetts in divorce. I found one small thread but i know there are many more comprehensive ones with precedents talked about in them.

Thank you.
Jason

The first thing my lawyer has advised me while I was setting up my trust was

Trust does not protect you in a divorce

Thank you.
Jason

Do you mean caselaw precedents? search for Kennon v Spry.

there is also a lot in the Family Law Act - look at s90MB for example - court can override whatever is in the trust deed. Court can also make ordes on third parties such as trustees. So for example if your wife is not a beneficiary of the trust, or even an excluded beneficiary then th court can order the trustee to transfer property to her even though it may be in contravention of the trust deed and even be a breach of trust by the trustee.

Back